Pig Ears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashe

Reaction score
These are not the pig ears you buy for you dog these are boiled(I think) and made for human consumption(I hope). I am thinking maybe a nice stout would go well with them because you would need something to cover the god awful taste. Any other suggestions?

Best thing to do with pig ears is wash them real good, braise them for a day or so, then slice them very thin, fry them, and garnish a salad or something with them. They they're okay.

i am not being judgemental i asked why? by the OPs own account thay taste like ass
that and thay arent meat thay are cartlage

I haven't made pig's ears yet. I would imagine fresh, I'd prepare them in a similar fashion to Terapin's method. I'd probably use them as a component for 'faux' Head Cheese after having braised them for a very long time.

There are a lot of foods that are simply a cultural freak out. I made Mondongo recently, which is essentially a traditional Hispanic stewed dish with Tripe. It was for Hispanic appreciation day at work. I just put a label on it "For adventurous foodies only". Almost the entire pot was eaten! I had a few people that left the Tripe in the bowls, not because it tasted bad but because it was a textural and cultural freak out. One guy ate two bowls. When I told him what it was, he was like "Oh, I thought it was some kind of Seafood" :D.

If you don't like something, then don't eat it. But I think an open minded approach is best.

I really want to get my hands on some pig tails (smirk:rockin:) seriously though, they're much harder to find than ears and supposedly way better....

The place where I had the pig ears also has ox tail, neck bones(pig neck), turkey neck and chitlins. I really want to try it all but I am scared of the chitlins.

I can see that maybe the way the pig ears were prepared were just not to my liking. Maybe fried would bring out different flavors. I see now the ones I had must of been braised, now that I know what it is.

With 'variety meats' and those 'pieces parts' the thing to remember is that quite often they require special preparation. Some will taste awful if you don't do it right or may be way too tough, etc. Those 'parts' are usually the most challenging ingredients to make excellent cuisine with. Chitlins are rough food imo, very hard to get...the uh...aroma out of.

They should pig ear sandwhichs on Dinner, Drive inns and Dives...The restaurant was called Big Mommas. It looked liked she slow cooked themin a crock pot for like 8 hours. Looked good, would try...i eat spam and god knows what in it?

They should pig ear sandwhichs on Dinner, Drive inns and Dives...The restaurant was called Big Mommas. It looked liked she slow cooked themin a crock pot for like 8 hours. Looked good, would try...i eat spam and god knows what in it?

Super Polysaturated A****** Meat :D

I really want to get my hands on some pig tails (smirk:rockin:) seriously though, they're much harder to find than ears and supposedly way better....

Oh man, my wife and I had some totally awesome (REALLY) pig tails in Spain at a bar our friend (a native) took us to. They were cut in to ~1" pieces and braised in a lovely sauce. After you cleaned off the bones (sucking on them), you simply dropped them to the floor (and I thought one of my undergrad bars was cool for allowing peanuts shells to be dropped on the floor). We also had the tail from a 1/2 suckling lamb we had in a restaurant. That was phenominal, but not as good as the razor clams - a top 10 list member in the best foods I've ever eaten. We also had slow braised pig stomach that trip. That was just OK.

I'm contemplating ordering a little head cheese to have as an appetizer for our Oktoberfest party. I like it, but it wasn't real popular last time we had it at a party

On the SPAM bashing...it's not as bad as you think. Everyone thinks that Spam fried rice sounds terrible until they try mine...the trick is slowly rendering the Spam like bacon, then cooking the vegetables in the goodness that is left in the pan

On the SPAM bashing...it's not as bad as you think. Everyone thinks that Spam fried rice sounds terrible until they try mine...the trick is slowly rendering the Spam like bacon, then cooking the vegetables in the goodness that is left in the pan

I was just funning around. I have been known from time to time to pick up a can. Heck all those Hawaiians can't be wrong? :D

What always suprises me is how expensive Spam is. People always talk about it like it's cheap crap but spam is actually like six or seven dollars per can...

What always suprises me is how expensive Spam is. People always talk about it like it's cheap crap but spam is actually like six or seven dollars per can...

Remind me not to move where you live! :eek: I think it was around half that here last time I checked.

My wife and I and my brother-in-law ate at his favorite restaurant in Leige, Belgium (D'Anjou) a couple of years ago (the BIL lives nearby in Germany). I had their hunters platter which included a pig foot. It was phenominal!!! The foot was cured as one would do a ham and then slow cooked until it was falling off of the bone.

As my BIL says of Belgian food, French Cuisine in German portions.

Even the best food can taste crappy if it is prepared poorly. Conversely, what one might think is disgusting can be quite tasty if prepared right - and I'm not just talking deep fried :cross:

Back