PID's alarm output question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSGD

Reaction score
I'm currently building a 2 vessel Brutus or Blichmann breweasy type if system. The control panel is the typical biab-style single pid but I've got support for 2 pumps as well as a switch to select between either vessels temp probe. I have it practically done, and now I have an idea that I haven't seen yet. For chilling I am planning to stick with my immersion chiller, that I use a pond pump running ice water through it. (After my warm ground water gets me to about 120f.) my question is this. Is there any reason that I can't use the low temp alarm output to open a normally closed relay that'll shut off the pump and stop the cooling without my attention? I believe the output is max 3 amp. A relay coil doesn't really draw much does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No they draw next to nothing. I have turned on 7 separate contactors in my panel at the same time and it only registers 1/10 of an amp.

I'm currently building a 2 vessel Brutus or Blichmann breweasy type if system. The control panel is the typical biab-style single pid but I've got support for 2 pumps as well as a switch to select between either vessels temp probe. I have it practically done, and now I have an idea that I haven't seen yet. For chilling I am planning to stick with my immersion chiller, that I use a pond pump running ice water through it. (After my warm ground water gets me to about 120f.) my question is this. Is there any reason that I can't use the low temp alarm output to open a normally closed relay that'll shut off the pump and stop the cooling without my attention? I believe the output is max 3 amp. A relay coil doesn't really draw much does it?

I dont see why not - You might not have to use a relay depending on the PID.

Thanks guys! I'll probably need a relay since I'll be wanting to cut power with the alarm output

Back