PID wireless alarm idea question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyTL

Reaction score
Hi, I joined to get some thoughts about an idea I had

I'm using an Auber ramp and soak PID and I wanted to incorporate an alarm to tell me when my operation is finished. Instead of having an ordinary 240 volt buzzer alarm, I was thinking about making it wireless, by hooking up an appropriate transformer (probably around 3 volt) which powers a doorbell remote and sounds a door chime located inside my house when the alarm function is activated. any idea if this would work/be safe?

The alarm outputs on most are relay contacts so you could hack the button on a wireless doorbell system and make the Auber "push" the button. The doorbell chime will sound once on most doorbells so you'll get a single chance to hear it.

You could feed the alarm contacts to something like the ESP8266 board used on many projects here, then use IFTTT to send yourself text notifications or use a wifi-enabled outlet to turn on a light or some kind of noise maker. Might actually be cheaper then the doorbell and a lot more flexible. Here's an tutorial on using the ESP8266 with IFTTT Using IFTTT with Adafruit IO to Make an IoT Door Detector

You could feed the alarm contacts to something like the ESP8266 board used on many projects here, then use IFTTT to send yourself text notifications or use a wifi-enabled outlet to turn on a light or some kind of noise maker. Might actually be cheaper then the doorbell and a lot more flexible. Here's an tutorial on using the ESP8266 with IFTTT Using IFTTT with Adafruit IO to Make an IoT Door Detector

That's a pretty neat idea, not sure if I have the expertise for that kind of thing, but ill definitely consider it!
cheers

Latest posts

Back