PID Issue - need peace of mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkWater_brewer

Reaction score
I built my controller but am having an issue with the RIMs side. I Had a Sestos PID which pretty much just annoyed me,(D1S-VR-220) It worked but not as I wanted. I came across a T4A-RNR so I swapped it in. Went through and verified the setup parameters and then tried autotuning. The output light clicks on but no activity on the SSR. Check the output terminals and no voltage registers across them. I move the wires to the Alarm output - again it turns on but again no power signal. The ssr works, I connected it to my Auber variable output BK controller and t works. So am I missing something? I bought an SYL-2352 which won't get to me for a few days. Any suggestions? I don't like being beating by a plastic box - should have gone Auber in the first place. I'll probably just use the TA4 as a thermometer if I can't get it working.
Thanks for any help you can offer. :drunk:

I built my controller but am having an issue with the RIMs side. I Had a Sestos PID which pretty much just annoyed me,(D1S-VR-220) It worked but not as I wanted. I came across a T4A-RNR so I swapped it in. Went through and verified the setup parameters and then tried autotuning. The output light clicks on but no activity on the SSR. Check the output terminals and no voltage registers across them. I move the wires to the Alarm output - again it turns on but again no power signal. The ssr works, I connected it to my Auber variable output BK controller and t works. So am I missing something? I bought an SYL-2352 which won't get to me for a few days. Any suggestions? I don't like being beating by a plastic box - should have gone Auber in the first place. I'll probably just use the TA4 as a thermometer if I can't get it working.
Thanks for any help you can offer. :drunk:
I believe you bought the wrong model... the T44 ssr or snr will drive an ssr and ssr+ internal relay but the RNR just has dual relay outputs if I remember correctly.... if you buy another I recommend the TD4 snr model which has manual mode to dial in a steady boil.

,,Yes RNR model has a relay output. you still can make it work with SSR but you need an external DC power supply for any voltage between 5 and 24 volts. Just connect in series with an SSR.

will give that a try, probably get it working by the time my Auber syl2352 gets here. So now I'll have a sestos and TA4 PID in my spare parts bin.

Thanks, that makes sense.

will give that a try, probably get it working by the time my Auber syl2352 gets here. So now I'll have a sestos and TA4 PID in my spare parts bin.

Thanks, that makes sense.

The mypins do work just as well as the auber counterparts if you have the right model... auber certainly has better documentation and support however.

That was part of the problem, the clarity of exactly which model to buy. It worked fine once I connected external power. When I read the spec's it listed ssr mode but failed to mention any requirements. I did already order the Auber as their documentation made sense. I think I will just use it as a thermometer at this point.

One question I do have is it is unclear what settings are used for temp correction, it seems to be about 9 degree's off from actual temp. Any insights?

Once I get this issue put to rest it will be time for rev 3 of my controller. At which point I will connect up my RIMS pump up to automatic mode so it starts right before the element and shuts down right after, may use the TA4 for this with offset temps. I like to tinker and design on the fly - advance planning is overrated but easier.

If the temperature reading is off you can correct using this parameter: Temperature = ReadingValue – OffsetParameter.

For example:

-*The probe reads 75F but the actual temperature is 70F. Set this parameter to “5”.

-*The probe reads 140F but the actual temperature is 142F. Set this parameter to “-2”

To change offset parameter:

-*Press and hold the “Set” button for more than 3 seconds. The “AL1” symbol should appear on the upper indicator.

-*Press the “Set” button again a few times until you see the “PUF” symbol on the upper indicator.

-*Press the “Shift” button and adjust the offset parameter using the “+” and “-“ buttons.

-*Press the “Set button” to save it.

Temperature units:

Just curious as to the problem with the Sestos?
I agree that Auber's website makes it much easier to order the correct PID without having to think much and check model numbers.
Also for the temp correction what are you checking the measurement against? Just to be sure that its not out itself

The Sestos problems were actually the fault of the sensor coupled with the advanced case of Chinenglish. Basically the only problem in the end was the inability to display Fahrenheit and a low frustration level on my part. I was using my good canning thermometer, floating glass kind that has been consistent for years.

Brumateur, thanks for the info, the Sestos and Auber share most of the same entry codes, the TA4 just had to make up their own to be different,

Back