Pictures of NEIPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixhotdogneck

Reaction score
How are the pictures of bright yellow NEIPA's being made? Direct sunlight? Flashlight?

What do they look like in ambient room light?

Can anyone post pictures of theirs both ways? Does it still appear bright yellow in the ambient light?

IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1087.jpg

Also some photo editing

Nice, thanks man.

Could you post one without the light behind it or going through it, like move the glass back in the shade.

Natural light or some pro light source. They look like dirty dish water under fluorescent lights. Probably a fair among of enhancement afterward too.

So really not so yellow, more of a muddy orange 'grapefruit' color but the Photoshopped yellow pictures do make 'em look larger than life.

Setting sunlight or fluorescent ceiling lights that hit it at a particular angle really seem to make the color "glow" under the right conditions..... The lighting can make a huge difference though. Unfortunately, I don't have any NEIPA on tap at home right now to do a comparison. I will see what I can find in some old pictures..... or maybe try some can beer I have at home and see what it looks like.

I find that my lighter yellow NEIPA's in the 3-5 SRM range are bright yellow/gold/glowing in the right light. They are still kind of a yellow/gold in regular light - but don't really have that "glowing" perception.

Natural light is the way to goView attachment 602892

I can just picture your neighbors watching you take pictures of a beer on your fence post thinking "what the hell is with that guy?". You know your a home brewer when you take professional level photographs of your beer!

It's a great picture and I'm sure the beer is good but, and don't take this the wrong way, it just looks terrible. NEIPAs are the most unappetizing looking beer there is, they make me think of something I'd drink with breakfast, not a nice refreshing beer.

beer.jpg

This was one of the crazier pictures of a NEIPA that I happened to take..... was just randomly walking through my living room one evening with a beer and the setting sun coming through the window hit my beer and it just glowed. So, I held it back in that same spot and took a photo. Did not do anything else to it.... just stood there with it. Unfortunately I don't really have a contrasting photo.
In regular fluorescent light, it would have looked more like this..... Don't really have a "no light" photo.
Hoppy Wheat.jpg

It's a great picture and I'm sure the beer is good but, and don't take this the wrong way, it just looks terrible. NEIPAs are the most unappetizing looking beer there is, they make me think of something I'd drink with breakfast, not a nice refreshing beer.

I always think they look super appealing. Even before I was much of a hophead, hazy beers seemed very visually tempting.

Those look really good all. Can someone tell me what a Neipa is supposed to taste like please . I've never tried one .

Those look really good all. Can someone tell me what a Neipa is supposed to taste like please . I've never tried one .
That's all dependent on the brewer. The consensus is juicy and fruity but not overly bitter. Although I've had them and made them earthy, dank, overripe fruit, juicy, hoppy, spicy and everywhere in between.

I always think they look super appealing. Even before I was much of a hophead, hazy beers seemed very visually tempting.

I’ll give you hazy. I brew lots of heavily dry hopped IPAs so I understand hazy. It’s the murky that’s off putting. But then a really light crystal clear lager doesn’t do it for me either. It’s funny how certain colors/clarity can trigger uncontrollable slobbering for some while being totally undesirable to others.

What was the recipe?

13# 2-row
1# flaked oats
1# flaked wheat
1# white wheat
1# corn sugar (last 10 min of boil)
Mashed @ 146*f for 45 min
Mashed out @ 167-70 for 10 min
.25 oz Columbus 60min
.50 cascade 10min
.50 Columbus 5min
.50 mosaic wp @175 * f 30 min
.50 simcoe wp ^
.50 Amarillo wp ^

Burlington ale yeast w/starter

Dry hop on day 2 of primary through day 5
1oz Amarillo
1oz simcoe
1oz Columbus
1oz mosaic

2nd round of dry hop day 5-9
1oz Amarillo
1oz simcoe
2oz citra
2oz mosaic

Total time in fast fermenter 21 days . Purged with co2 during 2nd stage dry hop

How do you guys like this one? It has activated charcoal in it and is a fine example of the style. It just looks crazy.

Interesting effect. What affect does the charcoal have on you while drinking or is there too little to notice? I know it's used medically for various things.

Interesting effect. What affect does the charcoal have on you while drinking or is there too little to notice? I know it's used medically for various things.

The brewer is actually very into medicinal ingredients. Honestly, though, I can't tell there's charcoal in it, but I have never had this exact beer without charcoal in it, so who knows what effect it has.

How do you guys like this one? It has activated charcoal in it and is a fine example of the style. It just looks crazy.

81BzpLu.jpg
Obviously can't comment on the quality in regard to flavor, etc..... but, I find it visually off-putting to say the least. I am sure there are others who probably find it intriguing or simply a non issue as long as the taste is fine. But, my personal opinion - I like my beers to look like they taste..... I can't stand coffee in beers like a cream ale or kolsch for example. But, I love coffee in porters or stouts. I don't want a "blonde stout". It is true that we "taste" things with our vision and it affects our perception. Personally, I just find these visual/taste contradictions unappealing. But, as always, to each their own. :mug:

Found an old one I did that is a good comparison of the exact same beer looking quite different in different light..... similar to @TheHopfather above. This is the exact same beer, a minute or two apart. Fluorescent light is yellow/gold. The one that is more orange is outdoors, not much light, cloudy, less light in front of glass and therefore it was back lit more than front lit. Under "normal" lighting it is definitely more toward the yellow/gold though.
beer 2.jpg
beer 1.jpg

Haha, fair enough. The photos were taken on my phone, it really doesn't like a dark foreground and a bright background. But you do get the general idea from the photos, bright on one side and dark on the other.

Found an old one I did that is a good comparison of the exact same beer looking quite different in different light..... similar to @TheHopfather above. This is the exact same beer, a minute or two apart. Fluorescent light is yellow/gold. The one that is more orange is outdoors, not much light, cloudy, less light in front of glass and therefore it was back lit more than front lit. Under "normal" lighting it is definitely more toward the yellow/gold though.View attachment 603066 View attachment 603065
It was pictures of some of your beers that got me to give the style a try, up until then it seem like people were posting pics of trub not beer.

Haha, fair enough. The photos were taken on my phone, it really doesn't like a dark foreground and a bright background. But you do get the general idea from the photos, bright on one side and dark on the other.

I figured, I wasn’t criticizing you or your photography skills. Just pointing it out

I think the glowing beers are just properly lit, when a good photograph of a beer is taken it looks a lot better

Latest posts

Back