Pictures of hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor has horses. Took my tractor over and cleaned out the horse pin and took a years worth of poop for myself. (With permission ofcourse) hops look neat from the outside.

I have 3 new plants on the way. Teamaker, Comet and brewers gold.

Comet was made from an English hop sunshine and a wild utah hop. Also a neomexicanus.

It gave me the idea. I would like to go into the mountains and find some wild hops and take some rhizome and see what I end up with.

Attachments

• 20210524_180614.jpg
    20210524_180614.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 39
With permission ofcourse

My brain is now trying to figure out whether a lack of permission would've earned you charges related to robbery or just trespassing.

When my dad and uncle bought a few acres around a place where a guy boarded horses they were asked to clean out a barn. When I commented that it was free fertilizer I was told that horse manure really wasn't very good fertilizer, they were just cleaning it out to be friendly to the neighbor.

My brain is now trying to figure out whether a lack of permission would've earned you charges related to robbery or just trespassing.

When my dad and uncle bought a few acres around a place where a guy boarded horses they were asked to clean out a barn. When I commented that it was free fertilizer I was told that horse manure really wasn't very good fertilizer, they were just cleaning it out to be friendly to the neighbor.

It's compost she would clean and build it up over time. So better than just a hot pile of shiz.

Working on timing the lower half down. Soil wasn't getting enough air. I want to give it some. Nitrogen and push some green growth.

Did i over trim? Also when should I change what type of fertilizer?

Also new hops in some smaller pots for this year. I plan to move the plants into the ground of the greenhouse. Next year.

Attachments

• 20210601_152437.jpg
    20210601_152437.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210601_140032.jpg
    20210601_140032.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210601_140111.jpg
    20210601_140111.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
is Aplhaaroma the same as TeaMaker? never seen Hartwick as well. very cool trellis set ups. wish i could grow mine outside of the greenhouse.

yesterday at my house was 106, today i have no idea and Wednesday will be worse. summer sucks.

is Aplhaaroma the same as TeaMaker? never seen Hartwick as well. very cool trellis set ups. wish i could grow mine outside of the greenhouse.

yesterday at my house was 106, today i have no idea and Wednesday will be worse. summer sucks.

Pretty sure Teamaker is completely different. Alpharoma is a New Zealand hop, it’s commercially known as Rakau, which is a trademarked name. The publicly available version grown in the states is called Alpharoma.

Check out my thread about Hartwick, if you’re interested. Also check out GreatLakesHops.com. They have a bunch of unique varieties available that you won’t find anywhere else.

I feel your pain on the heat, here in Denver my backyard hit 101 today. Might be a degree hotter tomorrow and Wednesday. 😖👎🏻. At least my hop plants seem to be holding up fine.

Approaching the summer solstice, my cascade is preparing to enter the flowering stage, right on schedule.
View attachment 732891
View attachment 732892View attachment 732893

I have flowers on my cascade as well.

My Tahoma is about to grow out of the top of my greenhouse. Looking like it might he at its peak we will see.

My Cashmere has yellowed up some. Idk what it could be. Still healthy though.

New hops are doing well. Comet is growing like crazy excited to see how it plays out

These are the newest additions to my yard. All 4 planted last than a month ago. Triple Perle, Prussian, Goldings and Multihead.

Triple Perle is finally starting to take off.
7A5D765F-C5FB-4A54-BD0F-97C580626DA5.jpeg

Prussian is very happy with it’s situation. I have a feeling this plant is gonna be a monster.
9213DD67-13BF-4CD9-A048-E4C192EFF2F9.jpeg

The Golding plant was a freebie thrown in by GLH. It’s handling the hot temps here in Colorado way better than I expected. Perhaps it likes the alkaline soil.
F656E166-9925-42FE-8871-C3918C2F9346.jpeg

The Multihead I planted last year failed to make it through the winter. Giving in another shot in a new location. Not thriving this year as well as I’d hoped. Could also be because it was the only plant that didn’t get watered when I left town for 4 days. 🤦🏻‍♂️
A1A3EA9A-B627-4D3E-BA95-4C2D420F9B8A.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D398898-C842-4330-8D00-F39E6DE47E00.jpeg
    5D398898-C842-4330-8D00-F39E6DE47E00.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
Left is Commet, full on flower mode. Right is Cashmere and it is just starting to flower. My new hops I planted mid-May are pretty scrawny. 3 Cascade working up the rope. Only 1 Centennial made it. Hoping it takes off here soon so I can take a couple cuttings to fill in the two spot that didn't come up.

Attachments

• 20210620_073711.jpg
    20210620_073711.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20210620_073655.jpg
    20210620_073655.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210620_073658.jpg
    20210620_073658.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
These are the newest additions to my yard. All 4 planted last than a month ago. Triple Perle, Prussian, Goldings and Multihead.

Triple Perle is finally starting to take off.
View attachment 732927

Prussian is very happy with it’s situation. I have a feeling this plant is gonna be a monster.
View attachment 732924
The Golding plant was a freebie thrown in by GLH. It’s handling the hot temps here in Colorado way better than I expected. Perhaps it likes the alkaline soil.
View attachment 732925
The Multihead I planted last year failed to make it through the winter. Giving in another shot in a new location. Not thriving this year as well as I’d hoped. Could also be because it was the only plant that didn’t get watered when I left town for 4 days. 🤦🏻‍♂️
View attachment 732926

give the multihead a year to figure it out. the plant thats growing looks great.

love cats. black one looks like one of my cats. the heat is a issue for some my plants (not my hops) so far. keeping the greenhouse open and trying to wet the leaves and floor to keep humidity up and help leaf evaporation to keep form cooking plants.

going to try to grow hops outside of the greenhouse next year. i plan to trim up my rizome's when i move the plants into the ground.

The oldest hops are Chinook, Tardif de Bourgogne, a confidential variety and a variety to me. the new ones are also confidential, but I can quote the Amalia and her daughter Neo1 on the terrace and Willow Creek on the fence. I also have in pots varieties of a Czech and Polish collection at the bottom. and in the middle in the green pots are part of my seedlings this year

GLH sent me a free golding with my cashmere.
both are in buckets growing on my fence.
cashmere leaves have yellowed a little bit but it's still going.

found part of a forgotten fugal in my moms garden after the tilled it.
it was a small part of root and not sure it's going to take.
also wondering if they will still end up with a hop plant in the garden.

I'll have to snap a pic of my established the Hartwhick side-arms are 3-4 ft long now and growing under my porch roof.
the weight of the plants this yr is significantly more than last yr.
I'm going to have to do an IPA with a lot of aroma hops to make room for this yrs crop.
I'm also going to need to build something bigger to dry all these hops.
my dresser from last yr won't cut it.

That is seriously an amazing amount of hop plants. It’s both awesome and terrifying. Lol. Cheers

this yr i'll have 7 3rd yr plants and 4 4th yr plants.
3rd yr plants are in some poor soil and the grass/weeds is a struggle.
they really need to be moved in the spring. they barely produced cones last yr.
this yr they are growing a lot better so maybe i'll be surprised.
I want to move them to a raised bed next spring where it's easier to weed them.

this yr i'll have 7 3rd yr plants and 4 4th yr plants.
3rd yr plants are in some poor soil and the grass/weeds is a struggle.
they really need to be moved in the spring. they barely produced cones last yr.
this yr they are growing a lot better so maybe i'll be surprised.
I want to move them to a raised bed next spring where it's easier to weed them.
Pictures?

It’s interesting to me how much more robust your Hartwick is. Mine is already bigger than last year, but nowhere near what you’re describing. Side arms haven’t really started to go yet. Here’s my Hartwick:
31965D15-9C6C-477A-B646-BFB9404B0DF3.jpeg

The oldest hops are Chinook, Tardif de Bourgogne, a confidential variety and a variety to me. the new ones are also confidential, but I can quote the Amalia and her daughter Neo1 on the terrace and Willow Creek on the fence. I also have in pots varieties of a Czech and Polish collection at the bottom. and in the middle in the green pots are part of my seedlings this year

Are you in the hop business or just happen to get some rhizomes to grow at home?

My great grandmother was from Poland. I have wanted to buy some polish pellet hops but can't find them when I want some.

Would you ever consider sending a rhizome clipping of some polish varites? I would cover all costs obviously.

My curiosity really has me interested in the varietys you can't talk about. Are you able to talk about what it contributes to the beers?

GLH sent me a free golding with my cashmere.
both are in buckets growing on my fence.
cashmere leaves have yellowed a little bit but it's still going.

found part of a forgotten fugal in my moms garden after the tilled it.
it was a small part of root and not sure it's going to take.
also wondering if they will still end up with a hop plant in the garden.

I'll have to snap a pic of my established the Hartwhick side-arms are 3-4 ft long now and growing under my porch roof.
the weight of the plants this yr is significantly more than last yr.
I'm going to have to do an IPA with a lot of aroma hops to make room for this yrs crop.
I'm also going to need to build something bigger to dry all these hops.
my dresser from last yr won't cut it.

My Cashmere did the same exact thing. Maybe I said it in this thread can't remember now haha.

Pictures?

It’s interesting to me how much more robust your Hartwick is. Mine is already bigger than last year, but nowhere near what you’re describing. Side arms haven’t really started to go yet. Here’s my Hartwick:
View attachment 733241

It's gown a bunch! Looks like it has a lot of height on it. My tahoma is reaching for the stars

Here are my second year plants.

i-zwvV3z4-X3.jpg

The Nugget is really taking off and spreading out on the ground. It's the fourth plant from the right. Each plant has two vertical twines.

I'm wondering if I need to do some pruning and thin out some of the leaves on the bottom? Or let them grow and build up?

Here are my second year plants.

i-zwvV3z4-X3.jpg

The Nugget is really taking off and spreading out on the ground. It's the fourth plant from the right. Each plant has two vertical twines.

I'm wondering if I need to do some pruning and thin out some of the leaves on the bottom? Or let them grow and build up?
My practice is to cut all of that extra stuff back. Anything that you haven’t trained up the line should be cut off. Everything I’ve read suggests that cutting back growth near the ground helps stave off disease and also forces the crown’s energy into your selected bines.

Those plants look really healthy. You should get a decent crop from all of those.

Jako

I’m just an enthusiast but I started a hop breeding and crossing program to create new varieties. and at the same time I’m acquiring a variety of genetically engineered cultivars for breeding. of the countries of the East I have Lubelsky, Juno, Ceres, Mimosa etc... but they are under SMTA

Here are my hops in SoCal. I get an afternoon/evening strong breeze from the ocean which really benefits my grapes, I imagine it's not doing the hops badly either. Cool, moist air at the end of the day helps with the desert heat which is going to begin in earnest soon and then hold on until about Halloween.

This is a Nugget, 2nd year, from a crap mail-order nursery. I also bought a Crystal from them and it didn't make past year one.
IMG_0226.JPG

Here is my Old Mission (GLH). It's on year three. This one is a pretty consistent producer.
IMG_0227.JPG

This is the replacement for the Crystal, so the 1st year of my new Chinook (GLH). Just went into the ground about a month ago.
IMG_0228.JPG

This is the Shaddock, planted at the same time as the Old Mission. Both are some type of heirloom variety from @Greatlakeshops. Also a strong producer.
IMG_0229.JPG

This is the Cascade, first year for this one, as the last Cascade just dried up. Bought this from a guy who knows a guy ;).
IMG_0230.JPG

Not the best shot of the Eroica (GLH), but middle afternoon is the shade time for this side of the house. The Eroica also was planted at the same time as the Old Mission and Shaddock. Last year was the first time it produced cones.
IMG_0231.JPG

The Centennial, planted at the same time as the Old Mission, Shaddock, and Eroica; but from a local nursery (where I also got the Cascade that didn't make it). Last year's crop was almost 10 ounces, so I have hopes that this time will be better. It normally climbs all the way up and beyond the second story of the house.
IMG_0232.JPG

here they are.
the hartwick are on the left and the Arcadian are on the right.
weight is so much more from last yr.
they are coiled on the ground from the main wire and posts bending. I was able to run a line to a fence post on the right side.
i'm going to do that for the left side. or i'm thinking of just notching a spare piece of fence top-rail and using it to prop up my main wire on the hartwick side so i can get it straight and take so weight off the wood posts.

they have actually gotten out of control because I've been busy with other projects around the house.
i wasn't prepared for them to go crazy like this.

it's just 2 hartwick plants.
every time I look there are more bines popping out of the ground that I unbury to the main root and cut off.
hops 2021.jpg

Here are my hops in SoCal. I get an afternoon/evening strong breeze from the ocean which really benefits my grapes, I imagine it's not doing the hops badly either. Cool, moist air at the end of the day helps with the desert heat which is going to begin in earnest soon and then hold on until about Halloween.

This is a Nugget, 2nd year, from a crap mail-order nursery. I also bought a Crystal from them and it didn't make past year one.View attachment 733320

Here is my Old Mission (GLH). It's on year three. This one is a pretty consistent producer.View attachment 733321

This is the replacement for the Crystal, so the 1st year of my new Chinook (GLH). Just went into the ground about a month ago.View attachment 733322

This is the Shaddock, planted at the same time as the Old Mission. Both are some type of heirloom variety from @Greatlakeshops. Also a strong producer.View attachment 733323

This is the Cascade, first year for this one, as the last Cascade just dried up. Bought this from a guy who knows a guy ;).
View attachment 733324

Not the best shot of the Eroica (GLH), but middle afternoon is the shade time for this side of the house. The Eroica also was planted at the same time as the Old Mission and Shaddock. Last year was the first time it produced cones.
View attachment 733325

The Centennial, planted at the same time as the Old Mission, Shaddock, and Eroica; but from a local nursery (where I also got the Cascade that didn't make it). Last year's crop was almost 10 ounces, so I have hopes that this time will be better. It normally climbs all the way up and beyond the second story of the house.
View attachment 733326

plants look great!

today was in the high 80's and it felt like it was fall.... took advantage of the weather and cut my lawn for the first time. wish we had some cool ocean breeze helping out.

here they are.
the hartwick are on the left and the Arcadian are on the right.
weight is so much more from last yr.
they are coiled on the ground from the main wire and posts bending. I was able to run a line to a fence post on the right side.
i'm going to do that for the left side. or i'm thinking of just notching a spare piece of fence top-rail and using it to prop up my main wire on the hartwick side so i can get it straight and take so weight off the wood posts.

they have actually gotten out of control because I've been busy with other projects around the house.
i wasn't prepared for them to go crazy like this.

it's just 2 hartwick plants.
every time I look there are more bines popping out of the ground that I unbury to the main root and cut off.View attachment 733334

Hop jungle looks so rad.

Jako

I’m just an enthusiast but I started a hop breeding and crossing program to create new varieties. and at the same time I’m acquiring a variety of genetically engineered cultivars for breeding. of the countries of the East I have Lubelsky, Juno, Ceres, Mimosa etc... but they are under SMTA

I had to do some research to find out what SMTA is. I completely understand. i am sure everyone can tell at this point. but i have the hop bug and looking to get my hands on anything i can especially harder to buy hops.

everyone is always looking to buy the most crazy new hops. But i would love to buy a Bramling Cross hop plant or Nobel hops. I hope in the fall to do some searching up in the mountains and around old mine towns for hops growing wild.

I spotted a huge hop plant in a old Mine town called Ophir. Super cool place.

My Hops are 20 something years old, first year I've strung them this high and doing well. Hoping this will increase my yield. I planted 3 different varieties and one of them is Cascades not sure which is which. They've spread out all along the side of the garage.

Attachments

• Hops 2021.jpg
    Hops 2021.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 34
Back