Pictures of hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jako

Reaction score
This is a first year centennial. Are these the beginnings of hop cones? It seems like its too late for them to develop into big delicious, usable cones, bit for next year is this what they look likemView attachment 735215
looks like side arms to me. you will know when it starts to flower.

you have tons of time left for hops. some hops will flower late in the season. it also depends on the time you plant etc.

the cones on my centennial are 1/4 inch at most. i believe they tend to bloom sooner than most. i would say mid to late aug depending.

Jako

Reaction score
Started a new hop garden this year on my nephew's farm in North Alabama. Going there Wednesday to build the trellis. The plan is to set a post on each end that extends 20 ft above ground level. Then using a boat type winch on each post to raise and lower 1/4 in cable that the bines and their twine will attach to. I'm a little late getting them strung but work in the Sunshine State and constant rain have set me back a bit. Looking forward to many years of fresh home grown hops. I planted 7 varieties but only 5 have survived.
do you know why the others died?

Jako

Reaction score
This is the third time trying to grow hops, last couple of times wildlife and then my chickens ate the rhizomes, this year I’m starting them in pots in a part of the yard the chickens don’t go in and then plant the crown at the end of this year and they should keep coming back. I’m not expecting much this season but excited to see how this goes. These are the 2 of 5 that were planted.
i would be so mad at the chickens haha.

Jako

Reaction score
so i excitedly ran out the greenhouse this afternoon to check on my fan. well at first it wasn't running.... so after some messing around looks like i had a loose wire. (cheap wire from amazon.) fan kicks on and i was impressed. One thing... i mounted the fan backwards you know standards pollock stuff. For now i used a stick to prop the vent open so the fan can still move air.

i cant decide if i want to vent fresh air in or pull air out of the greenhouse. i have read its just about moving air and who knows how much it helps in my small greenhouse. what i really need is shade cloth in areas to help minimize some of the intense high elevation sun we receive. its all a learning process. next year i have big plans.

Murph4231

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
do you know why the others died?
I believe they were dead when they arrived. They looked like dead dried up sticks but I planted them anyway. Adventures in Home Brewing promised to replace the ones that didn't sprout when next year's crop is released.

Jako

Reaction score
I believe they were dead when they arrived. They looked like dead dried up sticks but I planted them anyway. Adventures in Home Brewing promised to replace the ones that didn't sprout when next year's crop is released.
Bummer, great it was already worked out for you.

NitrogenWidget

Reaction score
we had a hail storm roll through.
at least 30 mins. of super hard hail.
beat the hell out of the tops of my hops.
Pure insanity.
Never seen anything like it before.
leaves everywhere.

I think the plants will survive loosing most of their leaves at the top.
there are still buds on the lower parts though.
1707D17E-D0E5-4846-8D58-50CD43E0FEAE.jpeg

7770135B-BCA8-472B-85EB-4FF2C0AE62DA.jpeg

53ABA3C7-4FA1-4824-87B4-9A0D2756AD77.jpeg

Last edited:

Kaz15

Reaction score
Hail is the thing I fear most.. I hope it’s just a minor setback.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
we had a hail storm roll through.
at least 30 mins. of super hard hail.
beat the hell out of the tops of my hops.
Pure insanity.
Never seen anything like it before.
leaves everywhere.

I think the plants will survive loosing most of their leaves at the top.
there are still buds on the lower parts though.
View attachment 736291
View attachment 736293
View attachment 736289
View attachment 736290
wow that's all i have to say. you are not alone in this weird weather. not as destructive but the insane heat and lack of rain scorched my cascade. growth stopped. its recovered and the lower half is looking happy. its becoming a pain keeping the plant from going insane.

GoeHaarden

Reaction score
man look at he size of the cones. i feel like i am not doing something right.

Thinking growing my hops in pots and me not wanting to over feed the plants has lead me to starve the plants of needed food.
Yup, I feel ya. First time grower here, and I just started fertilizing mine over the past month and growth has taken off. I just hope it's not too late. No cones, maybe some buds but I can't tell if they are just more leaves...

superiorsat

Reaction score
Comet is ready to be picked, huge cones now have that papery spring back when you squish them( don't know when I'll find the time to pick and process). Cashmere on the last photo is just at the beginning of the flowering stage. It is weird they have everything identical. Last year they were first year hops and finished at the same time. I guess maybe a blessing that everything isn't ready at once.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kaz15

Reaction score
Yup, I feel ya. First time grower here, and I just started fertilizing mine over the past month and growth has taken off. I just hope it's not too late. No cones, maybe some buds but I can't tell if they are just more leaves...
The difference between 1st year and 3rd year hop plants is pretty staggering. If you’re a first time grower, you certainly shouldn’t be comparing your plant to mine. Climate, soil, total sunlight, variety and growing conditions all play a big role.

I have a few 3rd year plants and a few first year plants. My Cascade gets the most sunlight of all my plants just based on yard location and is also the biggest plant by far. Here is a picture of my 3rd year Hartwick next to my 1st year Golding for comparison. My Hartwick is nowhere near as robust a Nitrogenwidget’s Hartwick. As with most things, YMMV.

D6140324-E16C-4CD2-A018-A2E489B3A6C9.jpeg

NitrogenWidget

Reaction score
Cascade anyone?
mine are much smaller than yours and only just starting to flower.
I mostly have just a few bines each on the wire for my cascade and they are small.
but this is 2nd year for them though.

funnily enough one of the cuttings from one of my hartwicks are next to the cascade and the hartwick will probably catch up to the cascades by end of summer.
i doubt i'll see cones but I was surprised when i went to my mom's to look at them after a few weeks.

Jako

Reaction score
My Tahoma just never stops growing. But as soon as I added some quality 7-7-7 food the plants just took off again

Attachments

Jako

Reaction score
you can see the damage to the second to hop in from the right side. sad.

superiorsat

Reaction score
I guess only the tops of the 3 Comet were ripe and ready. I picked 2-5 gallon buckets full and dried and vacuum sealed one bucket, the other went into a wet hop beer. What a PITA that was with 45 oz wet hops. Decided to use the 50 gallon kettle with a huge mesh screen. The screen is almost as big as the kettle so I figured it would work great, but it clogged by the end because the screen is so fine . Literally took hours to get 12 gallons post boil transferred. Started with 20 gallons ended up with 12 useable gallons of wort.

Attachments

Sylvain

Hops made in France
Reaction score
Personal variety, I have raised it since 2019, and the last two years have been hot and dry.
it didn’t make me realize she was susceptible to mildew

received_266477211479516.jpeg

received_177949077596495.jpeg

Amalia :

received_2911288772454533.jpeg
received_250117320008557.jpeg

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Personal variety, I have raised it since 2019, and the last two years have been hot and dry.
it didn’t make me realize she was susceptible to mildew

View attachment 737126
View attachment 737127

Amalia :

View attachment 737128View attachment 737129
I will take pictures of my cascade. Took a major major hit by something. It's first year it did the same thing. I depending on what you guys thing I might pull it from my greenhouse and invest in a better variety for my location

Latest posts