PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas eve and I am about to run my rinse on new machine. Oxycleaning my keg first.

Wonder if my Pale Ale kit is xmas eve kit or an xmas brew.....

Ok,
So I am brand new to this system and a couple things have come up that I am hoping experienced users can help with....

1) The first rinse seems really, well underwhelming. What else to clean?
- I ran the first rinse cycle and it was, well confusing. First, the instructions are extremely unclear, attach the grey end to the keg or attach it to a wand in a bucket? What the heck?
- Then, the rinse cycle never really filled up the container. How the heck is that going to rinse anything??

2) Anyone else get a really strong industrial oil smell out of the screens and parts?
- Even after the plain hot water rinse, the screens all smelled like industrial knife sharpening oils. (Well that is my only reference point on the smell.)
- I finally took everything, screens and that clear bucket up to sink and used dish soap on everything. That has cut the industrial odor down a lot, but not completely gone.

3) When a cycle is done, does it always continue to spit water out the stepper tube?
- The screen said that the rinse was over. I even let it sit for a moment, but since the insides were fogged up I couldn't see that liquid was still coming out.
- When I wen to pull that clear basket out, there was still lots of water flowing and it went everywhere. There was also water all over the top and in the drip tray and everywhere. Is this normal?

I'd keep any questions you have to this thread, the Picobrew forums, or the picobrewers Facebook group.

1. For the rinse: Put the suction (black) tube into a bucket with a few gallons of water in it. Put the discharge (gray) into an empty bucket. It's only a couple gallon flush at most. Pretty basic rinse. The cleaning cycle will recirculate water through a single keg through different compartments.

2. I didn't notice the odor on mine, but definitely wash everything as clean as you'd like it. You don't want anything foul in the finished product.

3. There is usually condensation on the stainless steel around the compartment. Some drips will come out the rotating arm at the top after you're done. I usually wipe it down real well and place a rag under the tube when not in service. There will be some residual water in the step filter, but no more than a half of glass of water.

You can get quick answers to questions on the picobrewers Facebook group, and the Picobrew forums. Technical assistance you should use [email protected] if you're having problems with your machine, or if you need to be lead in the right direction, they'll help.

Why only this thread? It would make for better organizing if there were some subthreads. This one is mostly about how is the machine and who has one and why would someone want one.

That is why I have branched out into a couple others like specifically about recipes and questions once you have one.

Also, I have posted to the pico forums, but those seem to be days between answers. I guess I will have to find the facebook page, but FB is a HORRIBLE place for information on how to's because you cannot search through posts. If it was posted in the past new users will not be able to see it.

I think if you have Picobrew specific questions, I'd keep them in this thread because people subscribed get a notification. On its own, I doubt it will get the attention you want, especially if you have specific questions.

Actually I think Facebook is a great way to connect with others, share information/photos quick, and get feedback faster than any other medium. There is a search function that works easily. I was skeptical at first, but I joined a few other brewing groups and it demonstrated just how many people get involved very easily. It may not be for everyone, up to you.

The FB group is pretty active and Annie Johnson monitors it as well as some very frequent users. Often times questions are answered within minutes when they popup.

The other thing is to watch the videos they produced. They seem to be pretty solid on the cleaning methodologies as well as a variety of other topics.

Actually I think Facebook is a great way to connect with others, share information/photos quick, and get feedback faster than any other medium. There is a search function that works easily. I was skeptical at first, but I joined a few other brewing groups and it demonstrated just how many people get involved very easily. It may not be for everyone, up to you.

Facebook is blocked at many peoples jobs including mine.
That's a big deal to me, and why I don't order from some home brew supply companies. You better have a real website that's constantly updated.

While you can search for something if you know what to look for, it's not well organized like a forum.

FaceBook is fine for "connecting", but its terrible as a replacement for forums.

I guess I will have to find the facebook page, but FB is a HORRIBLE place for information on how to's because you cannot search through posts. If it was posted in the past new users will not be able to see it.

I agree with you.

Sigh. Trying the first brew, pale ale today, and I have a leak. Seems a couple posts on the pico forum about it. Seems my machine wants to leak. Grrrr. Since a holiday weekend, probably no one to take my ticket.
Will finish the brew. Right now I have an aluminum foil damn to redirect the leak from left corner into a bucket on floor. Guess I will see how much beer I actually end up with.

The FB group is pretty active and Annie Johnson monitors it as well as some very frequent users. Often times questions are answered within minutes when they popup.

So, I went out and liked the page. I can only assume you mean that people 'message' the page and get answers? From what I see, the page is not set up as a repository of knowledge at all. It is only a company advertising site. No problem with that, but not what I was looking for.

Sigh. Trying the first brew, pale ale today, and I have a leak. Seems a couple posts on the pico forum about it. Seems my machine wants to leak. Grrrr. Since a holiday weekend, probably no one to take my ticket.
Will finish the brew. Right now I have an aluminum foil damn to redirect the leak from left corner into a bucket on floor. Guess I will see how much beer I actually end up with.

Sablesurfer,

I had the same problem with my first two brews, it ended up my zymatic was just a LITTLE bit out of level (I had leveled it off of the top of the unit) and it ended up leaking from the bottom corner of the unit. I shimmed my unit so that the floor of the step filter area was dead level left to right and front to back. In my last 6 brews I haven't had any leakage issues that the drip tray couldn't handle.

-Josh

Sablesurfer,

I had the same problem with my first two brews, it ended up my zymatic was just a LITTLE bit out of level (I had leveled it off of the top of the unit) and it ended up leaking from the bottom corner of the unit. I shimmed my unit so that the floor of the step filter area was dead level left to right and front to back. In my last 6 brews I haven't had any leakage issues that the drip tray couldn't handle.

-Josh

Edit, reposting with less holiday family interaction angst.

Where was your leak coming from? The interior compartment was dry the whole time. I didn't see any leakage out of the step filter basket, and the drip tray didn't fill up this time. The liquid appeared to be completely sourced inside the machine somehow.

So, I went out and liked the page. I can only assume you mean that people 'message' the page and get answers? From what I see, the page is not set up as a repository of knowledge at all. It is only a company advertising site. No problem with that, but not what I was looking for.

Not the advertising page. Make sure you search for Picobrewers and not Picobrew. You will need to request permission to access the page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/picrobrewers/1666129783666009/?notif_t=group_activity

This link should take you there.

I had an issue with a leak on a couple of batches. What was happening was the grain was getting out from underneath the top screen, and then interfering with the flow enough that the wort was covering the lid, and draining down the back. You couldn't tell any of this from the front.

The fix, is to put a spoon on top of the top screen, under the lid. That keeps the screen from lifting and letting the grain wander about. (Make sure the spoon isn't where the water comes in.) I haven't had a problem with that issue since.

I do get a little wort splash on the inside back, and sides of the machine. I wipe down the inside every couple brews. If you do this, be careful of the microswitch on the back. You don't want to snag it with your towel.

Edit, reposting with less holiday family interaction angst.

Where was your leak coming from? The interior compartment was dry the whole time. I didn't see any leakage out of the step filter basket, and the drip tray didn't fill up this time. The liquid appeared to be completely sourced inside the machine somehow.

Does your problem only happen during the mash?

I had a problem like that and it turned out to be cracks in my step filter. It happened a second time as well and it turned out to be the little rubber plugs for the step filter were poorly designed and they sent me replacements.

When the leak was very small it definitely appeared to be coming from inside the machine but it was just a small amount of liquid from the step filter compartment finding its way through the silicone seals.

Does your problem only happen during the mash?

I had a problem like that and it turned out to be cracks in my step filter. It happened a second time as well and it turned out to be the little rubber plugs for the step filter were poorly designed and they sent me replacements.

When the leak was very small it definitely appeared to be coming from inside the machine but it was just a small amount of liquid from the step filter compartment finding its way through the silicone seals.

So, when you pulled the step filter out at the end of brew day, did you have liquid in side that compartment area? Mine was dry. That is the part that confuses me, any leakage from the step filter should also have filled up the bottom of the compartment area. How would it leak from the step filter, into the machine without leaving a trace?

As for does it always, this was my first brew. It did stop after the mash phase. I have a recipe for my second brew, but it has to wait till I have room in my fermentation chamber, so about a week.

Has anyone received their Zymatic from Kickstarter. No info at all from picobrew

Has anyone received their Zymatic from Kickstarter. No info at all from picobrew

I've joined the brewmarketplace and have an account set up with them. No info on shipping over here, but then again, I'm up in Canada so it will probably be after all the domestics shipped.

I've joined the brewmarketplace and have an account set up with them. No info on shipping over here, but then again, I'm up in Canada so it will probably be after all the domestics shipped.

No shipping data yet, but my pledge was in the low 900's so it may be a while. I have not received credentials for the brewmarketplace either. I was presuming that I would receive that when I receive shipping info. Has everyone else already obtained the credentials?

No shipping data yet, but my pledge was in the low 900's so it may be a while. I have not received credentials for the brewmarketplace either. I was presuming that I would receive that when I receive shipping info. Has everyone else already obtained the credentials?

What happened with the Zymatic is that you received forum credentials when they started building your machine.

Still researching this unit to purchase. Final concern is over chilling wort. End of the day I want to use an immersion chiller.

My thoughts are to purchase a modular keg in place of the pico provided one. Would that work? I'm assuming dimensions would be similar. When i transfer to keg. I could take top section off, put an immersion chiller in and cover with tin foil. Once cooled, put lid back on, pitch yeast and put in ferm chamber. Thoughts?

Still researching this unit to purchase. Final concern is over chilling wort. End of the day I want to use an immersion chiller.

My thoughts are to purchase a modular keg in place of the pico provided one. Would that work? I'm assuming dimensions would be similar. When i transfer to keg. I could take top section off, put an immersion chiller in and cover with tin foil. Once cooled, put lid back on, pitch yeast and put in ferm chamber. Thoughts?

I've tried to think of all kinds of methods for effectively cooling the wort and I think the best is to get an immersion chiller small enough to fit down a corny keg. I think you could get Jaded Brewing to make you one. I've seen a small one here: http://imgur.com/a/vwX5L

After doing multiple batches, its hard to beat putting the keg in a cold bucket and just waiting 20 minutes. Zero concerns about sanitation or extra equipment. Since its only 2.5 gallons, it cools down pretty quickly.

Getting a modular keg would work. All you need is a vessel (preferably insulated) with fittings you can attach tubing to. I was also thinking about getting an insulated mash tun and using that instead of a keg.

I've tried to think of all kinds of methods for effectively cooling the wort and I think the best is to get an immersion chiller small enough to fit down a corny keg. I think you could get Jaded Brewing to make you one. I've seen a small one here: http://imgur.com/a/vwX5L

After doing multiple batches, its hard to beat putting the keg in a cold bucket and just waiting 20 minutes. Zero concerns about sanitation or extra equipment. Since its only 2.5 gallons, it cools down pretty quickly.

Getting a modular keg would work. All you need is a vessel (preferably insulated) with fittings you can attach tubing to. I was also thinking about getting an insulated mash tun and using that instead of a keg.

Thanks! I'll check out Jaded. That was my original idea but couldn't find anyone who made one. Good to know about an ice bath...20 minutes isnt bad.

I use a Jaded chiller with my larger eBIAB outfit and love it. Cools the wort (usually around 4.75 to 5 gallons) to pitching temp in about 5 mins.

That said, as much as I'd like a thin immersion chiller for my Pico, I'm fine with using a 5 gallon bucket and a couple changes of water. Keep in mind, though, that the 20 mins in a bucket won't chill it to pitching temps. You'll get to around 95F or so -- but 12 hours in a cool ferm chamber or a basement will bring it down to pitchable temps.

When I first got the Pico, I used a large (20# or so) bag of ice in a big cooler to chill quickly. That worked -- it brought it to around 70F or so -- but it took about 30 mins and there was an issue with foam coming out of the trap during the last few minutes. Because of the foaming -- and because of my laziness to drive to the liquor store for a bag of ice -- I gave it up. I went with cooling to 95F, letting sit overnight, and then pitching first thing in the morning.

Simple, no hassles, no additional steps, no additional equipment (which, for me, always translates to "one less thing to clean") -- and no adverse issues with letting the wort sit for a few additional hours.

I overnight chilled the first batch. And then tried the ice bucket for second.

I just used my brew bucket, and one container of ice from fridge. That stuff cooled down WAY too fast and I missed my whirlpool range. It was into the 130's before I got the machine turned on to recirc. Will be trying bucket again today for full chill, but it probably goes pretty fast.

First ever step mash completed. Screwed up the advanced recipe creation and on third try forgot to put in the mash out...sigh. Then it was saying it was heating when the water was at 206 and target was 207...just hung there so I tried to skip to next step and totally jumped over the 10min hop addition. LOL.

Well it is in the fermentor, my first ever lager, set for 53F. Maybe it'll make beer. :-D

Anyone getting any beer stone build up in the adjunct screens? One of mine, almost a whole bottom square has brown build up. This is after multiple washes and an oxiclean soak.

Anyone getting any beer stone build up in the adjunct screens? One of mine, almost a whole bottom square has brown build up. This is after multiple washes and an oxiclean soak.

I've got a bit of browning on my step filter. I don't think you should use Oxyclean on the plastic, or PBW. I think those cleaners make the plastic more brittle and Picobrew has said not to use PBW in the machine. I wonder if using an acidic cleaner would be better to remove the beer stone. A recent podcast I was listening to said to use a citric acid mixture in water and let it sit for a few minutes, then drain and the beer stone will just wipe off with a paper towel.

I'm not too worried about a little discoloration though.

So far I've brewed one batch and ended up with a big mess. All of the connections seemed tight.

Now on startup, I get a 'wort sensor fault' as well as 'fatal error'.

Has anyone else had this sensor issue?

How much water do you figure you use per 2.5gal brew?

I brewed my third beer, but forth time running wort since I had a full test in there for the support people. So after 4-5 you are supposed to do a deep clean.

Let's say four brews - 10gal of wort
That makes four rinses - 2gal each = 8gal waste
Then I still have to rinse out adjuncts and step filter each time - ~2gal each = 8gal waste (this is probably way under)
Then the keg needs a rinse - ~2gal each time = 8gal waste
Then I have oxy'd the keg twice because of build up - 5gal each time = 10gal waste
The deep clean was ~5gal
The post clean rinse was ~5gal

So 10gal of wort = ~44gal waste
Each 2.5gal beer is costing 11gal of waste water.

This seems a bit extreme.

Then you drink the beer and make pee, which costs 2.5 gallons/flush.

So say 20 glasses of finished beer/batch, which would make you pee like 10 times. So you likely waste more water drinking it than making it.

Back