PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM me with your email address and I'll get you the glycol refill procedure.

Sounds like you need to rebuild your Stepper Arm:

Read these:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../picobrew.../post-8396270
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../picobrew.../post-9318472
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../picobrew.../post-8615801

Hi Mike,
I'm new to the forum, found it while duckducking zymatic troubleshooting.
So I have an old zymatic from 2007 that I am trying to get back in shape. It needs glycol refill among other things, I understand from reading posts here. Also I get stepper failure error. The arm is moving and fluid circulating, however it doesn't hit the intended hole and thereby spilling a lot during attempting a cleaning session. I have red about entering a maint menu for adjusting the stepper, but I haven't found a description for how to open this hidden menu. I have removed the back lid and had a look, but before I go further on my own, just checking if there is a maintenance dismantle recommendation+description for dismantling steps. Also I wonder if there are any documents with lists of parts and dimensions for parts like hoses and so on. Thank you for your valuable contributions on the forum. I am also interested by the way, to sign up for ordering the controller card mod and steel step filter you mentioned earlier on when it becomes available.

PM me with your email address and I'll get you the glycol refill procedure.

Sounds like you need to rebuild your Stepper Arm:

Read these:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../picobrew.../post-8396270
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../picobrew.../post-9318472
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../picobrew.../post-8615801
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. The PM GUI for new message don't seem to be availible for my user yet, [Edited by Moderator] but I can leave my email here (remove added spaces): [deleted]. @Mike Howard can you send a pm to @brew79, instead? He can answer you, but not start his own pm's yet, being a new member. [/Edit]

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. The PM GUI for new message don't seem to be availible for my user yet, [Edited by Moderator] but I can leave my email here (remove added spaces): [deleted]. @Mike Howard can you send a pm to @brew79, instead? He can answer you, but not start his own pm's yet, being a new member. [/Edit]

Thank you very much!
PM sent

Hello all,
I didn’t see this answered, but if I missed it, my apologies.
I recently picked up another zymatic on eBay, mainly for two extra step filters, but it seems to work fine, thus I would not mind doing simultaneous brews.
The problem is that it is assigned to a different user and I am not sure if there is a way that I could change it to myself.
Do any of you know how to reassign the user?
I have not invested the time to create a pi server and I am still using picobrew.com.
Please advise and thank you for any help?

I have 2 Zymatic Step filters, hop baskets, and a bag of odds & ends that came with the unit - power cord, ethernet cable, rubber keg lid, etc.

I'll ship them if you pay for shipping/packaging.

Hi Mike,
I got the PM but I am not allowed to reply to PM nor generate a PM at the moment. I have not enough user activity yet, according to anti spamming policies enforced. So I will get back to you later when I have overcome this barrier. Thanks so far.

I sent you my email address...

Not sure what this is, but I believe it came with the original Zymatics. If you know what this piece is (and would like it) shoot me a PM and you can have it for the cost of shipping:

59B6F6F4-61A5-4063-94E6-90B8A968CE68.jpeg

Not sure what this is, but I believe it came with the original Zymatics. If you know what this piece is (and would like it) shoot me a PM and you can have it for the cost of shipping:

View attachment 809383
I don't need it, thanks.

It's a "wrench" for attaching the hoses to the side of the Zymatic. They said it should be used as the nuts can be over tightened with a real wrench

I don't need it, thanks.

It's a "wrench" for attaching the hoses to the side of the Zymatic. They said it should be used as the nuts can be over tightened with a real wrench
Huh! So it is!

0EEDC968-C9E2-44E3-B77B-0222EFDB0E5B.jpeg

Well, I’m going to guess nobody needs a fake wrench, but if you do, let me know. Otherwise I’ll toss it here in a week or so.

Ok looking like I need some coaching on my original Zymatic. about 2 years ago, I went through the entire system and replaced all the tubing, added the glycol receiver and replaced he heat exchanger to get rid of the pesky #1 error. All was working just fine until about a month ago when the #1 error came back. I did a quick check to see if the glycol was low, and of course it was a bit low, so I topped it off and thought I was good. Well, nope that didn't fix the issue and on my next brew, #1 error popped up again at the first heating. Went back through the system again and checked to see if there were any leaks in the glycol and/or water lines, but everything was dry. So, I decided to run a cleaning cycle and sure enough on the first heating #1 error was back. Ran a few rinse cycles with boiling water to see if that would fix the issue, but on the next cleaning #1 error was back. After looking at temperature graph, it looks like the heater element and the glycol are keeping in sync, but the water temp is lagging behind. When I watched the display, I can see that the temp is rising at between 2-3 degrees every few seconds, but still the #1 error will not stop. I tried a new heat exchanger and still the same result. I can see good water flow as well.

Has anyone else had this issue? Now I'm at a loss on what to target next.

@mrjirey try using a step recipe from 75 to 200 and see if the system will get past the error. Early on I used a test recipe to figure out what was causing the issues and it will help determine where the issue is located.

Also, I know you said you topped off the glycol, but what does the glycol pump sound like when you first turn the machine on? I've had to hold my machine at a 45 degree angle and let it run for a minute to get all the air into the reservoir.

Just a random thought is the temp probe in the wort which is at the top by the rotating arm fully inserted.

Ok looking like I need some coaching on my original Zymatic. about 2 years ago, I went through the entire system and replaced all the tubing, added the glycol receiver and replaced he heat exchanger to get rid of the pesky #1 error. All was working just fine until about a month ago when the #1 error came back. I did a quick check to see if the glycol was low, and of course it was a bit low, so I topped it off and thought I was good. Well, nope that didn't fix the issue and on my next brew, #1 error popped up again at the first heating. Went back through the system again and checked to see if there were any leaks in the glycol and/or water lines, but everything was dry. So, I decided to run a cleaning cycle and sure enough on the first heating #1 error was back. Ran a few rinse cycles with boiling water to see if that would fix the issue, but on the next cleaning #1 error was back. After looking at temperature graph, it looks like the heater element and the glycol are keeping in sync, but the water temp is lagging behind. When I watched the display, I can see that the temp is rising at between 2-3 degrees every few seconds, but still the #1 error will not stop. I tried a new heat exchanger and still the same result. I can see good water flow as well.

Has anyone else had this issue? Now I'm at a loss on what to target next.
@mrjirey try using a step recipe from 75 to 200 and see if the system will get past the error. Early on I used a test recipe to figure out what was causing the issues and it will help determine where the issue is located.

Also, I know you said you topped off the glycol, but what does the glycol pump sound like when you first turn the machine on? I've had to hold my machine at a 45 degree angle and let it run for a minute to get all the air into the reservoir.
Great idea on the sep recipe. I'll give that a try this weekend. I did replace the glycol pump about 1.5 years ago when I thought that would solve the temp problem, so it it relatively new. I can see that the glycol is circulating and the pump is not making any bad noises like it does if there are bubbles in he line.
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 7.05.18 PM.png

Think I found the problem. I ordered a new glycol reservoir after opening mine up and seeing this mess. I’m guessing it is restraining the flow 😁
E0D1C9A9-C7D0-4E80-BE8C-160A13928721.jpeg
47F1D9BC-AACB-4A4B-A109-36CDF96536BA.jpeg

If anyone is interested in a free working Zymatic for parts or experimenting with, (minus the keg). Located in northern Connecticut for pickup. Will ship at your expense, step filter has cracks, and the duck valve between stepfilter and unit has a slow leak. I did the glycol refill on it so last use, everything was working ok.

Edit: This was picked up as discussed. Thanks PT934!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't believe you can swap out the sensors. It is my understanding that these are DS18B20, which are serialized in the code. I don't think PB has the search feature added to the code that allows dynamic swaps.

I, at one point, thought that because they have separate connections that maybe they searched the sensor on that connection for its ID, but my testing did not reveal that to be the case. You can test that by swapping the connectors and see if the problem moves. If it moves, then it probably means that you can replace the sensor. If it doesn't, then I'm pretty sure that means the sensor is serialized and can't be swapped without access to the code. And if that is the case and your sensor is at fault, or your board, then you have no option to revive the unit other than a board that I designed, but have had no time to completely finish.

I would try powering off and unplugging the Zym. Pop off the back and disconnect and then reconnect each sensor. Also, I know its a pain, but you might make sure the wire did not get pinched anywhere in the lower unit and also that you have seated the sensor in the "T" so that it is in contact with the glycol and that there really is no "air" in the system. I've seen DS18B20's be a bit finicky and they will read sometimes and sometimes not, however, sometimes a power cycle seems to do the trick.

Good Luck

I found out that if you factory reset the Zymatic it gives you the option to connect heat sensors one by one and have the Zymatic detect and register the serial numbers. So looks like there is a way to replace the heat sensors.

Think I found the problem. I ordered a new glycol reservoir after opening mine up and seeing this mess. I’m guessing it is restraining the flow 😁View attachment 812517View attachment 812518
Success!!!!! New reservoir installed and Glycol flow restored. Ran the Raspberry Pi cleaning cycle #6 with no errors and I’m back in business. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions in troubleshooting.

I’ve got a Zymatic I’m not using anymore, just wanted to see if anyone could use it, I’d rather it didn’t just go to the trash. I’m in NW Washington, willing to drive a bit to meet up. Not interested in shipping it.

I’ve got a Zymatic I’m not using anymore, just wanted to see if anyone could use it, I’d rather it didn’t just go to the trash. I’m in NW Washington, willing to drive a bit to meet up. Not interested in shipping it.
Ah, if I were a bit closer I'd be all over it. If you don't happen to get rid of it before end of May, I'll be up there for work and happy to pick up and handle shipping home myself.

Someone is interested in buying my Zymatic. How do I remove my account from it first? I can’t seem to find it on the site or in the Zymatic settings.

There isn't a way. Best thing to do is change your password to something simple and not used for anything else and provide that and your email address.
I was wondering if you set it up to be recognized by the raspberryPi server if you can change the account information from in there?
I have a worse issue in that I bought a zymatic and it logs into PicoBrew, but the guy forgot what email and password he used so the only recipe I can get on it is the one he left for a Russian imperial stout(fortunately I like this particular one). Originally I didn’t care as he said it didn’t work and I was getting for the step filter, but I messed with it and it brews fine so would love to somehow get it on my account to make simultaneous brews for 5gal kegging.

There is no way to reassociate a Picobrew product. But at this point any of the offline servers also don't care about a Picobrew account so just go on offline with a number of solutions for that at this point.

The "new owners" have an email you can request to reassociate, but folks on FB state they got no action or response for over a year. Your mileage may vary of course.

There is no way to reassociate a Picobrew product. But at this point any of the offline servers also don't care about a Picobrew account so just go on offline with a number of solutions for that at this point.

The "new owners" have an email you can request to reassociate, but folks on FB state they got no action or response for over a year. Your mileage may vary of course.
I had already tried that email, a couple times, and have had no response in over 6 months so figured that was useless.
Thanks for the info.

Best way forward with any of these machines is to forget about picobrew.com and go with either the RaspberryPi solution based on an open source python+nginx webserver (which could with enough technical knowledge run anywhere you want) or small brew companion (windows only application).

Doubt the "new owners" care at all about us as users. He is simply waiting for a buy out offer on the left over IP...

Hi all, long time stalker first time poster
I picked up a zymatic last year, tore it down, replaced tubing, cleaned pumps..... washed it really well. Picked up a rpi and have been going great up until a few batches ago. There has been an issue with the pumps, specifically the return/drain pump. For some reason the drain pump seems to be pumping very slow. When I just run water it pumps fine. When I try and brew a batch the mash goes fine, but for some reason when it moves to the heat pass through or hop position the grain area starts to fill with wort again. It seems as though it is flooding the hop/adjunct area and seeping through to the grain area. I have cleaned everything, and even did a disassemble and cleaned hand cleaned the pumps(also topped off the glycol as one does)
Is this just a failing pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, long time stalker first time poster
I picked up a zymatic last year, tore it down, replaced tubing, cleaned pumps..... washed it really well. Picked up a rpi and have been going great up until a few batches ago. There has been an issue with the pumps, specifically the return/drain pump. For some reason the drain pump seems to be pumping very slow. When I just run water it pumps fine. When I try and brew a batch the mash goes fine, but for some reason when it moves to the heat pass through or hop position the grain area starts to fill with wort again. It seems as though it is flooding the hop/adjunct area and seeping through to the grain area. I have cleaned everything, and even did a disassemble and cleaned hand cleaned the pumps(also topped off the glycol as one does)
Is this just a failing pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pull the pump head apart and look at the seals. I had a grain husk get stuck in mine and it exhibited similar symptoms. But it could also just be a bad pump head, as they were never designed for high temps. I replaced my drain pump with the slightly larger pump, search this thread where I give the part numbers.

I saw the part # a few months ago scanning the threads, thanks. I did a total disassembly/clean of them, nothing stuck, just a lot of build up. It seems most people switch both out at once, and possibly upgrade the flow rate. Does that seem to affect anything other than drain time?
I saw there is a guy up in Everett selling his zymatic. I was considering buying it for parts/extra step filter. Does it seem the pumps just slowly die? I kinda assumed it would just kick and not run anymore. Debating about how cost effective it would be to just get a backup system, or just the parts needed now.

On a side note, I have one of the original step filter, without the holes. I also got on second one with the holes, but no rubber plugs. Any suggestions on a replacement part for the plugs? I cant even find a decent picture of them

Back