Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grain bill attached - just did a batch and was 10 points under my expected gravity. I have ALWAYS hit my estimated O.G. From brewers friend at a 62% efficiency- this one came out at 52%. I’m really not sure what happened. Any ideas? I don’t mill my own FYI but used the same homebrew shop as usual never had this issue.

Not sure about the Z but my Zymatic has never liked flaked adjuncts in large grain bills. They stick together and don't allow good flow and with no way to stir them your efficiency is gonna be low. If you can get away with a bunch of Rice Hulls I would suggest that. I have also mixed my grains and added them to the step filter and then placed my flaked adjuncts on top, that seemed to help a little bit.

I have done flaked corn in my Z1 twice. Once at 25% and the second time at 11%. I thought the Z1 did great. On the 25% batch my efficiency was way up. I figure that might have been due to the flaked corn. Not sure.

I mix the flaked corn into the crushed grain so it is evenly distributed throughout the step filter.

So this is a pretty typical grain bill for me, only difference is when I do a grain bills like this I do a 2.5 gallons batch instead of a 3.5. The expected O.G. on the 2.5s are
mid 1.060s instead of mid 1.050s I was hoping for here.

Edit: have done up to 9 lbs and hit O.G. at 62%.

Don't try using the Recipe Builder - it fails to do anything productive. Can't clone; can't modify; can't .... - just get errors.

PicoBrew automation is dead.

Don't try using the Recipe Builder - it fails to do anything productive. Can't clone; can't modify; can't .... - just get errors.

PicoBrew automation is dead.

I'm not seeing any issues with the recipe builder at all. Create, clone and modify are all fine. Hope it's just a blip for you, and it stays around for all of us!

I'm not seeing any issues with the recipe builder at all. Create, clone and modify are all fine. Hope it's just a blip for you, and it stays around for all of us!
I sent a note but doubt we will get any response, as there is nobody working there. The new owner isn't reaching out to give any updates on where this is going.

Did you verify that when you clone that all it is identical. I was missing lots of hops, ingredients and timing details. I tried several different recipes - all are failing.

Did you verify that when you clone that all it is identical. I was missing lots of hops, ingredients and timing details. I tried several different recipes - all are failing.

Did you try exporting and importing via BeerXML? If that doesn't work and you need to brew try BrewCrafter.com (been my primary crafter since early Z days before a proper integrated crafter was shipped).

Did you try exporting and importing via BeerXML? If that doesn't work and you need to brew try BrewCrafter.com (been my primary crafter since early Z days before a proper integrated crafter was shipped).
Thanks. That worked.

It goes without saying, but I'll post for those unaware. This export to BeerXML is also what I'd recommend to save off your favorite recipes (yours and public). Not sure of a way to export picopak recipes if there isn't also a public all grain recipe that matches.

You can take that beerXML to popular beer recipe crafters like Brewer's Friend, Beersmith, etc.

It goes without saying, but I'll post for those unaware. This export to BeerXML is also what I'd recommend to save off your favorite recipes (yours and public). Not sure of a way to export picopak recipes if there isn't also a public all grain recipe that matches.

You can take that beerXML to popular beer recipe crafters like Brewer's Friend, Beersmith, etc.

That's a great reminder, I did that for all my recipes, too. The other I'll share for those unaware is you can go into your Data Log for a session, click the Raw Log button and download the data as a csv. It doesn't include your notes in the export, but you use it to recreate your brew session charts.

I've been trying to use the export and import capabilities, as the Clone doesn't work. What I'm seeing with the import is that it is seriously corrupting the recipe. It loses notes/comments, it changes quantity to 2.5 gallons no matter what, it drops all the hops at times, it drops some of the fermentables, --- basically the software appears to have been sabotaged.

Just now one of two machines can no longer talk to the server. Nobody to contact, so the machine is useless

The server is not working correctly. One second I will have a list of recipes to run through the machine and the next minute nothing

That is an unfortunate error, but easy to fix by "detecting boiler size" in the service menu (hold knob during startup).
Thanks. It said 'small' and then connected. We need to put you in charge of the company (if there really is one).

Domain Name: PICOBREW.COM
Registry Domain ID: 75522201_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: Make Your Own Way | GoDaddy
Updated Date: 2018-07-31T11:36:57Z
Creation Date: 2001-07-30T23:32:09Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-07-30T23:32:09Z

It might be able to snag the domain name in a couple months if the owners are too inept

Actually got a response from info@picobrew on the above Net issue. So, somebody is monitoring.

Did your machine loose power? Maybe during an update or sync process? I've gotten it 2 or 3 times in 6 months never got to figure out what "caused" it to happen, but suspect something to do with a pre-emptive shutdown.

Did your machine loose power? Maybe during an update or sync process? I've gotten it 2 or 3 times in 6 months never got to figure out what "caused" it to happen, but suspect something to do with a pre-emptive shutdown.
It did not lose power other than the standard power on/off. I now have to go back in and recustomize as it is showing C vs F and other things. I have the same brew going through 2 machines at the moment (a variation of a bronze at CA State Fair; received almost 5% of State Fair awards - 2 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze; one silver should have also been a gold, but I was competing against myself in the category w/ different subcategories). I'm trying to push out 6 half-batches to make 3 lagers this weekend.

This morning there is an HTTP 501 which means their SSL Certificate is no longer working. Go to PicoBrew and you get http not https

Your machines (except Zymatic) will no longer work

I still have the HTTP 501 on the two machines. When I went into the web site, I have to swap to http - can't use https. Three machines (2 Z and 1 PC) with the same issue.

Very unfortunate timing but my Z (purchased last fall) has stopped working just as Pico has undergone the receivership process, and seems customer support is no longer responding to any tickets.

Has anyone else experienced max temp. delta (Error #6) issues with the Z? I understand this is a similar issue as the infamous "fatal error 1" with the Zymatic. I'm unable to heat the water to mash, running into the temp. difference between the hex and the wort shooting up with the hex heating up too much. With patience and multiple pauses I was able to get through the mash, but then same issues repeats when heating to boil. If I get to the boil phase (which I was able to reach by heating the wort on stovetop!), the Z returns Error #4 (sensor too hot) instead. There's also weird gargling noises coming from the Z which had not occured before.

So far I have tried:
- I've run the clean program successfully
- Brewing with multiple kegs with keg posts thoroughly cleaned, and brewing with keg wands instead of through the keg posts -> Not an issue with the keg
- Step filter and the step filter plug seem undamaged, and the step filter is draining and water is circulating back to the keg -> Not an issue with flow?
- In-line filter is clean and the housing seems to be in good condition
- I've disassembled the ball lock fittings of the Pico and they seem to be clean as well, and properly attached

Has anyone else had Error #6 issues with the Z? Could it be the same glycol issue that people have been struggling with the Zymatic?

Very unfortunate timing but my Z (purchased last fall) has stopped working just as Pico has undergone the receivership process, and seems customer support is no longer responding to any tickets.

Has anyone else experienced max temp. delta (Error #6) issues with the Z? I understand this is a similar issue as the infamous "fatal error 1" with the Zymatic. I'm unable to heat the water to mash, running into the temp. difference between the hex and the wort shooting up with the hex heating up too much. With patience and multiple pauses I was able to get through the mash, but then same issues repeats when heating to boil. If I get to the boil phase (which I was able to reach by heating the wort on stovetop!), the Z returns Error #4 (sensor too hot) instead. There's also weird gargling noises coming from the Z which had not occured before.

So far I have tried:
- I've run the clean program successfully
- Brewing with multiple kegs with keg posts thoroughly cleaned, and brewing with keg wands instead of through the keg posts -> Not an issue with the keg
- Step filter and the step filter plug seem undamaged, and the step filter is draining and water is circulating back to the keg -> Not an issue with flow?
- In-line filter is clean and the housing seems to be in good condition
- I've disassembled the ball lock fittings of the Pico and they seem to be clean as well, and properly attached

Has anyone else had Error #6 issues with the Z? Could it be the same glycol issue that people have been struggling with the Zymatic?

It appears that you followed troubleshooting steps provided by Pico on on line Pico support troubleshooting for Z error #6. IF you didn’t, I would follow those steps.
Then, I would follow troubleshooting guide for Z error #4. Have seen a report of fan issue creating noise.
Link to start trouble shooting:
https://picobrew.com/About/ContactUS

If those two troubleshooting steps actually help I'd be amazed. I looked through them and they seemed very basic. Anyone taken the top off the new Z yet that could chime in on how that new HEX assembly is put together? Could be something simple in that loop that is failing. If it is indeed the HEX loop that is failing, the glycol topoff procedure should be close to what we do on the Zymatic.

Latest posts

Back