Picobrew Z

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Craiginthecorn

Reaction score
Regarding spare step filters, I see very little discussion about cracking like with the Zymatic. I am wondering whether a spare step filter is really needed for the Z.

Is my perception correct? Are cracks relatively rare on the Z series?

Trevor Mack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard of 2 or 3 total in last year. If PB's word is true they are more "durable material and mold" than the prior Zymatic. They even envisioned modifying them for use with the Zymatic (previously mentioned here with pdf of process and packaging).

Rudder2

Reaction score
My Step filter is starting to show signs of cracking. It might of had a rough shipping experience to start with or it's because I brew to keep 3 kegs fermenting at all times so my Z gets used a lot.

Mutant

Drinking problem: Can make more than I can drink
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One of my two Zs is not circulating and then drop a Code 6 for overheating. Is there a way to get the system primed or diagnosed or at least some solution to the problem?

Mutant

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One of my two Zs is not circulating and then drop a Code 6 for overheating. Is there a way to get the system primed or diagnosed or at least some solution to the problem?
I was able to prime the system using the FAQs, but I continue to get Code 6. I'm not finding any leak source and the flow is good. The flow is going really good and then there will be a simultaneous Code 6, alarm and stop of flow.

Mutant

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to prime the system using the FAQs, but I continue to get Code 6. I'm not finding any leak source and the flow is good. The flow is going really good and then there will be a simultaneous Code 6, alarm and stop of flow.
It appears that when the hex temp gets 30F above wort, it trips the error. I tried the 'New Clean Beta V6' to see if that would get through a clean cycle, but it constantly tripped the code 6.

Mutant

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I discovered that I need a specific part but don't know how to find out a source for it. This is the plastic part in the Z that connects to the pickup tube. There is some sensor inside this part. Photo attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

tarwin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my Z decided to go dark during the rinse cycle after my third brewing session. Dark means the display stays off and it doesn't respond to any inputs.
A good and capable friend hooked his laptop up to the serial port of the main micro controller, the ESP32, yielding the following result:

-----
rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:\DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:1100
load:0x40078000,len:10088
load:0x40080400,len:6380
entry 0x400806a4

DBG ***********************************************************************
DBG * ZSeries *
DBG ***********************************************************************
[D>][ 0.06][CORE][Core.h:1321] setup BEGIN 0
[D_][ 0.07][CORE][Core.h:264] screenPower() True
[I_][ 0.07][SYST][System.h:291] scan()
[D>][ 0.07][I2C][System.h:91] scan BEGIN 0
[IV][ 0.09][I2C] Name = I2CA
[IV][ 0.09][I2C] Expected = 0x19 0x34 0x76
[IV][ 0.09][I2C] Found = 0x19 0x34 0x76
[IV][ 0.09][I2C] Missing =
[IV][ 0.09][I2C] hasError = False
[D<][ 0.10][I2C][System.h:91] scan END 24
[D>][ 0.10][I2C][System.h:91] scan BEGIN 0
[IV][ 0.12][I2C] Name = I2CB
[IV][ 0.12][I2C] Expected = 0x40
[IV][ 0.12][I2C] Found =
[IV][ 0.12][I2C] Missing = 0x40
[IV][ 0.12][I2C] hasError = True
[D<][ 0.12][I2C][System.h:91] scan END 19
[31m[E_][ 0.12][SYSST][SystemState.h:104] setError I2CB [0m
[D>][ 0.13][BSL][Msp.h:666] _setupMsp BEGIN 0
[IV][ 0.15][MSPA] CRC_result = 24539
----

He managed to trace this further. A second micro controller, a Texas Instruments MSP430G2553 is hooked up to the I2CB, and is the device that fails to probe and stops the boot.

As customer service didn't (and can't) respond further, has anybody seen a similar error? Can you dump the TI microcontroller's firmware or is it locked? If you can dump it, our plan would be to buy a new TI and flash it with the dumped image.
Alternatively, does anybody know if the Z firmware contains the firmware for the second micro controller, too?

Thank you & Cheers,
Sheep2045
I'm the friend that analysed the error and now the proud new owner of this wreck. ^^
To narrow down if the MSP430 or the Pin on the ESP32 is broken, I connected an Arduino to the I2Cb lines that listens on i2c slave 0x40 and ... the Z boots. So the MSP430 is indeed the problem.

I downloaded the Z firmware from the chiefwigms/picobrew_pico github repo and parsed through it with "strings".
There are some hints that the ESP32 can indeed write the firmware of the MSP430:

----
fupdate
Sends TEST_BRICK_APP command to MSP
TEST_BRICK_APP
Sends TEST_BRICK_ISR command to MSP
TEST_BRICK_ISR
Sends TEST_ERROR_SET_FIRST command to MSP
TEST_ERROR_SET_FIRST
Sends TEST_ERROR_SET_LAST command to MSP
TEST_ERROR_SET_LAST
Sets MSP error state (TEST ONLY)
seterror
Test ESP32 can get MSP app version
test av
Test ESP32 can get MSP to switch between boot and app
test switch
Test ESP32 can update the MSP app
test update
----

Does anyone know how the get the ESP32 to initiate the MSP flash? The service mode is sadly still not reachable as the system is quite confused about the Arduino posing as MSP.

Last edited:

Latest posts