Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be only associated with your account. I guess if your LAN security isn't too good, it might get exposed. Not sure if it uses any SSL/TLS kind of communication - I doubt it.
I meant it in a good way (as in - can I pick it up and use it in Fermentrack) but it sounds like the point still stands - the data is locked to their website. :(

Who is using the PicoFerm? I tried it and it decided it was no longer configured after a couple days, and then the batteries (new) died before the ferment was complete. This was an ale and I wonder how many batteries I'd need for a lager.
I am using rechargeable batteries that were recommended on PicoBrew forum and if freshly charged have no issue with them lasting thru fermentation. Others on PicoBrew forum suggested using a power supply.

Figured I'd post here too.

I'm selling my Z1 if anyone's interested or knows anyone looking for one.
I've done 4 brews on it - works flawlessly, no issues since day one. I've stopped brewing for the time being and will
eventually be scaling up to 10-15 gallons in the future. Everything is in perfect condition - Z1, step filter, corny keg, hoses, & all accessories. I have the original shipping boxes too. Hoping to get around $1,600 + shipping but I'll entertain any reasonable offers.

2 questions for you all:

Is anyone using Rice Hulls in there Z brews?

For items like sugar and lactose. where are you adding them? Into the Adjuncts (hop cages) or directly in the grain bed? I put it in an empty hop cage last brew.

2 questions for you all:

For items like sugar and lactose. where are you adding them? Into the Adjuncts (hop cages) or directly in the grain bed? I put it in an empty hop cage last brew.

I have not used any hulls in my brews so far. I have not had any issues with the grain bed draining.

As for additives like sugars, etc..., I add directly to the keg during the boil cycle. This keeps it out of the grain bed and allows it to go through the boil cycle.

Thanks, I thought about doing that but didn't want to remove the foam trap. In hindsight I had no issue with foam during the boil but dear lord did I have a mess when I went to chill (nonstop foam).

2 questions for you all:

I used rice hulls for a 95% wheat beer. I used 0.33 lbs rice hulls with 6.6 lbs wheat malt + 0.36 lbs C40. The brew session went great and the beer was delicious.

I use a JaDeD Corny Pillar and love it. I manually edit every recipe to replace the last steps to add a pause 5 mins before finish to stick the pillar in to sanitize, and I’m good to go.

Good to know! Think I’m going to add that one to the Christmas list.

I use a JaDeD Corny Pillar and love it. I manually edit every recipe to replace the last steps to add a pause 5 mins before finish to stick the pillar in to sanitize, and I’m good to go.

I also have the corny pillar. It is awesome. There is foam in the keg when you open it up but using the pillar helps it not foam any more.

I don’t modify the recipe. After the boil the Z pauses and tells you to connect the your chiller. I exit out of the recipe then and chill. If you have a hop stand you would have to wait until after that to exit out of the recipe.

About to push a plate chiller into play for chilling. Should I be worried about foaming up? Not sure why that would happen.

I also have the corny pillar. It is awesome. There is foam in the keg when you open it up but using the pillar helps it not foam any more.

I don’t modify the recipe. After the boil the Z pauses and tells you to connect the your chiller. I exit out of the recipe then and chill. If you have a hop stand you would have to wait until after that to exit out of the recipe.
I usually throw the pillar in with 15 minutes left to sterilize it.

Good news, beer came out great! Bad news, got some grain floaties in the glass. Anyone else had this issue and troubleshooted?

Good news, beer came out great! Bad news, got some grain floaties in the glass. Anyone else had this issue and troubleshooted?
Hmmm. It has to get out of the screens of the step filter, not get sent to th in-line screen, pass through a couple sets of ball locks and then a tap. Can’t say I have.

Hmmm. It has to get out of the screens of the step filter, not get sent to th in-line screen, pass through a couple sets of ball locks and then a tap. Can’t say I have.
Ditto. But, I also filter from the primary to secondary using 4 to 5 micron filters.

They were small, possibly from a too fine of a milling. It wasn’t bad just first 3 pints had one or two specs but are now pouring clear.

Only time I had an issue with foam was with a continual circulate over a long period of time (typically chill cycle or long boil for large quantities of coffee). Since I've just done the leave it over night (typically I do delay brews to time the chill time for when I'm available to move it). Now in winter I just throw it in the storm entrance (uninsulated so sits around 35-48 degrees) and that works perfectly for both chilling and storage of finished kegs waiting to be tapped.

As for draining nope my premilled has been "fine" though a bit low on extraction... On my list this year is a cerealcrusher to get a bit better crush and larger quantities of 2-row and non specialty malts.

Has anyone tried doing a back to back brew session on the Z? I have grains for 5 gallon batch I am debating splitting into 2 on the Z but was wondering if anyone has tried this and found you need to do a full rinse / clean or can you just dump the new ones in and go?

Has anyone tried doing a back to back brew session on the Z? I have grains for 5 gallon batch I am debating splitting into 2 on the Z but was wondering if anyone has tried this and found you need to do a full rinse / clean or can you just dump the new ones in and go?
Of the beers is dramatically different I would do a quick rinse.
same beer? No need to even rinse.

So 5 batches under the belt and some things worth noting:

- Via Brewers Friend using 62% efficiency I have hit my OG every time

- my SRM is always 1-2 darker than predicted (any advice)? Not bad on high SRM beers but when a 3 becomes a 5 or a 4 a 6 it can throw you off a little bit

- First wort hops and Whirlpool seem to be working great I did a Mosaic whirlpool hop beer and it was exploding with aroma and flavor.

So 5 batches under the belt and some things worth noting:

- Via Brewers Friend using 62% efficiency I have hit my OG every time

- my SRM is always 1-2 darker than predicted (any advice)? Not bad on high SRM beers but when a 3 becomes a 5 or a 4 a 6 it can throw you off a little bit

- First wort hops and Whirlpool seem to be working great I did a Mosaic whirlpool hop beer and it was exploding with aroma and flavor.
You might try a clean cycle for the darkness issue. My last clean cycle was after brewing an Amber Ale and I was surprised how much dark color liquid was in the dump bucket after. Apparently, the clean cycle is much more thorough than a rinse.

The color of my beers seems about right.

What gap is everyone using for their mill? I have recently tried 0.040, 0.035, and 0.031”. All have led to efficiency in the 56-58% range. The crush is getting quite powdery at 0.031” but the recirculation seems fine.

I am not sure if I should keep going down to 0.029” or I should look for other culprits to raise my efficiency.

I use the HEMS mash profile exclusively. Beers are in the SG 1047-1056 range.

I recently bought a new scale and switched to using it to measure my liquid volumes. Previously, I thought my efficiency was better, but, it turns out I wasn’t getting the volumes I thought I was getting.

The Picobrew recipe crafter predicts much higher efficiency than I am getting. It would be nice to get the efficiencies the Picobrew crafter predicts and then use that system to plan my recipes. Alternatively, with accurate volume and SG measurements I can build a more accurate BeerSmith profile and get predictability that way. I am getting closer on the BeerSmith path but want to use the Picobrew crafter so I can only type recipes once.

What gap is everyone using for their mill? I have recently tried 0.040, 0.035, and 0.031”. All have led to efficiency in the 56-58% range. The crush is getting quite powdery at 0.031” but the recirculation seems fine.

I am not sure if I should keep going down to 0.029” or I should look for other culprits to raise my efficiency.

I use the HEMS mash profile exclusively. Beers are in the SG 1047-1056 range.

I recently bought a new scale and switched to using it to measure my liquid volumes. Previously, I thought my efficiency was better, but, it turns out I wasn’t getting the volumes I thought I was getting.

The Picobrew recipe crafter predicts much higher efficiency than I am getting. It would be nice to get the efficiencies the Picobrew crafter predicts and then use that system to plan my recipes. Alternatively, with accurate volume and SG measurements I can build a more accurate BeerSmith profile and get predictability that way. I am getting closer on the BeerSmith path but want to use the Picobrew crafter so I can only type recipes once.

For water amounts I’ve been doing (0.125 x grain weight) + intended batch size

I’ll have to ask my LHBS what crush they are using

I’ve been following that thread only issue I’m having is I don’t see an option to do bypass instead of pass through.
I believe you have to go into advanced editor to make changes. After creating recipe, at very bottom you have a choice to edit machine steps. Once selected, you can edit existing steps, add or delete steps.

So I wasn't aware that the Brew Crafter and Pro Crafter were separate - the Pro Crafter has way less options available.

On a side note has anyone tried a reiterated mash on the Z? It seems like a great way to get up to 3.5 gallons of a high gravity beer out of the Pico. I am looking to try this out sometimes this month and will post an update but it seems like it would work really with the Z setup. I did a double back recently and changing and cooling two kegs definitely added an extra hour.

Additionally - does anyone brew in a bag in the step filter? that would also make doing a reiterated mash very easy to do, pull one bag out drop in the other.

So I wasn't aware that the Brew Crafter and Pro Crafter were separate - the Pro Crafter has way less options available.

On a side note has anyone tried a reiterated mash on the Z? It seems like a great way to get up to 3.5 gallons of a high gravity beer out of the Pico. I am looking to try this out sometimes this month and will post an update but it seems like it would work really with the Z setup. I did a double back recently and changing and cooling two kegs definitely added an extra hour.

Additionally - does anyone brew in a bag in the step filter? that would also make doing a reiterated mash very easy to do, pull one bag out drop in the other.

I was able to get a 12.08% beer out of the Pico Z.

If I understand you correctly, I did what I would call a double-mash last month with the Picobrew Z. I was aiming for a BCBS-ish stout and I used the wort from the 1st mash(with DME) as the water for the 2nd mash. My gravity going into the 2nd mash was 1.079 and the I ended up with 1.122 OG post boil. I oxygenated and used 2 packs of a US-05 starter to start and did another 1 pack of US-05 starter about 16 hours after first yeast pitch. It finished fermenting within about 10 days down to 1.030, so an ABV of 12.08% of 2.5gal. Now it's aging in a 2.5gal keg but so far it tastes great.

I found a public recipe set from Fred Bonjour for Malted Bliss, which is a barleywine. Basically, for your first recipe, do a mash only, the for the second, do a normal recipe with boil with the wort from the first recipe.

Attached is a pic of it fermenting in a 6gal fermenter. There was at least as much krausen as wort, so A LOT of headspace is needed.

Attachments

• IMG_9572.JPG
    IMG_9572.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
This is interesting. You could use this reiterated mash technique to make larger batches also. Make 2.5 gallons of high gravity wort and then dilute in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back