Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to modify a lot of info in Beersmith if you want to match Picobrews Recipe Builder. Water absorption, hop utilizations, mash profile and brewhouse efficiencies all need tweaked. The Zymatic profiles in Beersmith are "starting points" to get you close. I've found adjustments are necessary.

But why bother with the Picobrew crap? Just build a generic recipe with the mash profile and number of hops you want and then use Beersmith for everything else in your recipe. You don't need a recipe of all your grains and hops in Picobrew in order to run the machine and Beersmith is a way better option for adjustments and scaling batches, etc...

I have always used .45 grain crush and my numbers are always spot on.

I wouldn't be modifying the grain bill to hit your numbers. Try reducing or adding to your water bill, as required, in order to hit OG. Then you can scale your recipe from there to hit your target volume into the fermenter.

You need to modify a lot of info in Beersmith if you want to match Picobrews Recipe Builder. Water absorption, hop utilizations, mash profile and brewhouse efficiencies all need tweaked. The Zymatic profiles in Beersmith are "starting points" to get you close. I've found adjustments are necessary.

But why bother with the Picobrew crap? Just build a generic recipe with the mash profile and number of hops you want and then use Beersmith for everything else in your recipe. You don't need a recipe of all your grains and hops in Picobrew in order to run the machine and Beersmith is a way better option for adjustments and scaling batches, etc...

I have always used .45 grain crush and my numbers are always spot on.

I wouldn't be modifying the grain bill to hit your numbers. Try reducing or adding to your water bill, as required, in order to hit OG. Then you can scale your recipe from there to hit your target volume into the fermenter.
I used the zymatic profile in beersmith and the numbers aren’t close. I’m doing a Pliny the younger clone which is a triple IPA, so I want to plug in a recipe. Using beersmith it says I can easily hit the targeted gravity of 1.088. On the betacrafter I can only get to 1.083 this is after increasing my grains to maximum, which turned out to be 11.84% more than I had it before. Grains are maxed out, so I’m gonna let this ride the way it is. I’ll do a slightly finer crush, and then use DME to raise the OG if need be.

Is anyone else having massive issues with consistency on the pico z? We have two, run them side by side and every time one or the other unit will have issues draining, overflowing, not recirculating etc. I’ve currently got one unit cooling so I can unload it, it refused to drain. The other brewing the same recipe is chugging along. We are a professional brewery, it doesn’t seem like we should be having all these issues

Is anyone else having massive issues with consistency on the pico z? We have two, run them side by side and every time one or the other unit will have issues draining, overflowing, not recirculating etc. I’ve currently got one unit cooling so I can unload it, it refused to drain. The other brewing the same recipe is chugging along. We are a professional brewery, it doesn’t seem like we should be having all these issues
I had a similar problem the other night. My mash tun would not fill up and it was barely shooting water out of the in post. I took the post off.....cleaned it , then I had to take the step filter out ....took the grain out and the rubber plug had come out. After the step filter filled up and I completed the mash.....it wouldn't drain.....I paused the brew....took the filter out....put it back in and it finally started draining. I have brewed 3 times and have had problems 2 out of the 3.

Brewed my second Z1 batch today. It was an 805 Blonde clone.

My efficiency was 67%. I collected 2.78 gallons of wort.

Wort tasted fine (pretty malty). Wort looked cloudy and a bit dark (darkness might be from the cloudiness.)

Today, I chilled with an ice bath. That worked fine. Chilling is a very foamy process though. I ordered a JaDeD Corny Pillar for my next batch. I think that will be a better faster way to chill.

Overall, the brew day went well.

Last edited:
Some of the units were shipped with a line improperly installed and it will collapse. This line sits between glycol unit and input pump (from keg).

My 4th brew session this morning went great. My overall feeling with this thing is......you need to do a deep clean cycle after EVERY brew session and a rinse before EVERY brew session for this thing to run smoothly.

My 4th brew session this morning went great. My overall feeling with this thing is......you need to do a deep clean cycle after EVERY brew session and a rinse before EVERY brew session for this thing to run smoothly.
Open up the gray ball lock and clean it also. It can accumulate gunk.

Hey guys, have you guys used the "first wort hops" feature in the beta recipe crafter? Where do you input / actually physically put the hops?

Hey guys, have you guys used the "first wort hops" feature in the beta recipe crafter? Where do you input / actually physically put the hops?

I have used it. When you save your recipe it will assign all hops to an adjunct location. My FWH always get assigned to Adjunct 1.

If you select FWH, the crafter assumes your first listed hop is the FWH hop.

You can confirm what is happening by looking at the “Machine Steps” after saving. Mine shows “Heat to Boil” with “Adjunct 1” selected. That makes since for FWH.

I have used it. When you save your recipe it will assign all hops to an adjunct location. My FWH always get assigned to Adjunct 1.

If you select FWH, the crafter assumes your first listed hop is the FWH hop.

You can confirm what is happening by looking at the “Machine Steps” after saving. Mine shows “Heat to Boil” with “Adjunct 1” selected. That makes since for FWH.

Thank you sir, I see it now.

Me too. Just did my 3rd brew and I've just been doing a clean cycle after ever brew. Given how colored the water is when it comes out, I think it's a good idea to keep it running smoothly and doesn't take much more effort than a rinse IMO.

Me too. Just did my 3rd brew and I've just been doing a clean cycle after ever brew. Given how colored the water is when it comes out, I think it's a good idea to keep it running smoothly and doesn't take much more effort than a rinse IMO.

Most people clean there traditional brewing equipment after brewing (not just rinse), so I would agree the same is needed on the Z.

Question, I haven't unboxed my Z1 yet but looking at the packages, is it suppose to come with a 5 gallon corny keg? What I think is the keg box looks very very short.

well, they had a great offer at Nat'l Homebrew convention last month in RI. almost half off the Z1 units so I pulled the trigger. plan to use it to make small batches (bases) for my sours while I use my brewtable for the big stuff. I was thinking of not fermenting in the corny. after it is done, pouring each batch into a big mouth for fermentation so I can reuse Pico sooner. anyone do this?

well, they had a great offer at Nat'l Homebrew convention last month in RI. almost half off the Z1 units so I pulled the trigger. plan to use it to make small batches (bases) for my sours while I use my brewtable for the big stuff. I was thinking of not fermenting in the corny. after it is done, pouring each batch into a big mouth for fermentation so I can reuse Pico sooner. anyone do this?
Buy extra kegs and just ferment in them. This keeps everything sanitary.

Buy extra kegs and just ferment in them. This keeps everything sanitary.

Just remember to cut the liquid side dip tube 1/2” when using it for brewing. Fermenting in a keg has a lot of benefits including low O2 (pressure transfers) and fermenting under pressure. I still like to ferment small batches in kegs even though I have since sold my Zymatic.

I do exactly that. I pour into a 5 gallon Big Mouth Bubbler. I sanitize the rubber handles on the keg first. That is the worst part. You can’t pour without pouring over those handles.

Just remember to cut the liquid side dip tube 1/2” when using it for brewing. Fermenting in a keg has a lot of benefits including low O2 (pressure transfers) and fermenting under pressure. I still like to ferment small batches in kegs even though I have since sold my Zymatic.
What do use to cut the dip tube?

What is the best way to move wort to a separate fermenter? For my first two batches I poured from keg to fermenter. It’s fast but potentially dangerous for infections (I do sanitize the keg handle before pouring).

I know I could siphon. But, that is slow.

Is there a better way?

What is the best way to move wort to a separate fermenter? For my first two batches I poured from keg to fermenter. It’s fast but potentially dangerous for infections (I do sanitize the keg handle before pouring).

I know I could siphon. But, that is slow.

Is there a better way?
I think thorough sanitizing should be just fine. seems like doing it right after you cool down is no different than bringing in buckets of wort and pouring into the normal fermenter. adds extra aeration too.

I do exactly that. I pour into a 5 gallon Big Mouth Bubbler. I sanitize the rubber handles on the keg first. That is the worst part. You can’t pour without pouring over those handles.

Why not just use the circulate function or what ever it’s called while it’s cooling, and a sanitized keg wand to pump it into the bubbler? That’s what I did for my first batch, except into a 3 gallon better bottle.

I just dump it in...never had an issue...I use the Fermonster so it has a big opening but a sanitized funnel should work....or the Circulate function would work also.

I'm going to start off with my standard NEIPA just to see how it does. If it works, want to follow up with a blonde that I can use to top off our 12g sour barrel. Do y'all order the washer packs from Pico or do you have any easy substitute?

lost about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon. the taste of the wort was good, but color was definitely off. I scaled my really good NEIPA down, but out of the Z, came out a lot darker. can't see how that connects to the spill over.

[EDIT] think it might be because I had the metal keg lid on instead of the rubber adaptor.

Ouch. I hope you didn’t loose your beer.

Last edited:
Contacted PicoBrew Re: Zymatic $600 rebate and the response was that they were still working on it. The rebate was the reason why I went with it. I don't want to sell my Zymatic because it is not very reliable and has all the issues that the Zymatics had. I am concerned with the amount of time they are taking for this, and if they are going to hold up their bargain.

Contacted PicoBrew Re: Zymatic $600 rebate and the response was that they were still working on it. The rebate was the reason why I went with it. I don't want to sell my Zymatic because it is not very reliable and has all the issues that the Zymatics had. I am concerned with the amount of time they are taking for this, and if they are going to hold up their bargain.

Thanks for posting this - I have been waiting to hear from them about returning mine as well.

The perks email said:

We will send a summary email before shipping your perks, which will also include a tabulation of any referral bonuses for folks with purchases related to their referral code, and complete instructions on how to claim your Zymatic rebate.

Hopefully this means we'll hear something soon.

Back