PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and a suggestion. Not everyone will likely agree on this one, but I aerate my wort a lot. And I start my yeast before pitching it, using an erlenmeyer. My fermentations start quickly and I could swear I hear the yeast having a party in there.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/aeration-system.html

Thanks, I whisked the crap out of my first brew before pitching the dry yeast. It sat at a steady 65 F in my cellar. I had krausen blowing out the umbrella valves on the top of the "C" keg after about 36 hours.

They just announced a true "build-your-own" picopak today:

Homebrewers, rejoice! Today we’re thrilled to share an exciting new development for those of you who know how to craft a recipe and who like to keep your own ingredients on hand. That’s right, we’re giving you full creative freedom to use your own ingredients in our PicoPaks!

How's it work? Choose your own grain and hops to test a new recipe or re-create one of your old favorites. Use our Beer Editor and choose from a library of recipes, create your recipe, or import an existing BeerXML recipe. Add your grains to the mash bin, and place your hops/adjuncts in the Hops Pak. Clip on your PicoPak lid, place your PicoPak in the Step Filter, and hit brew!

Back a Use Your Own Ingredients Starter Kit for $50 and you'll receive:

5 PicoPaks (including 5 Hops Paks + 5 Mash Bins)

5 PicoPak Minis (5 Hops Paks )

Reusable Dividers for separating adjuncts

Stainless steel clamps for securing lid on Mash Bin and Hops Pak

• A collection of small and large sachets for your adjuncts

Mineral packets (gypsum, calcium chloride) for brewing water adjustments

Pico bittering hops

Homebrewers, rejoice! Today we’re thrilled to share an exciting new development for those of you who know how to craft a recipe and who like to keep your own ingredients on hand. That’s right, we’re giving you full creative freedom to use your own ingredients in our PicoPaks!

How's it work? Choose your own grain and hops to test a new recipe or re-create one of your old favorites. Use our Beer Editor and choose from a library of recipes, create your recipe, or import an existing BeerXML recipe. Add your grains to the mash bin, and place your hops/adjuncts in the Hops Pak. Clip on your PicoPak lid, place your PicoPak in the Step Filter, and hit brew!

Back a Use Your Own Ingredients Starter Kit for $50 and you'll receive:

5 PicoPaks (including 5 Hops Paks + 5 Mash Bins)

5 PicoPak Minis (5 Hops Paks )

Reusable Dividers for separating adjuncts

Stainless steel clamps for securing lid on Mash Bin and Hops Pak

• A collection of small and large sachets for your adjuncts

Mineral packets (gypsum, calcium chloride) for brewing water adjustments

Pico bittering hops
I just saw that too. Judging by the looks of it, I'm guessing they're single use mash bins and hop packs. That would be disappointing at roughly $10 a piece. That said, this is one step closer to what many of us have been asking for! Hope more details come soon.

I was excited when I got the email as well. I was about to put my C up for sale. But as @Tuckerl mentioned, we’re getting close!

... but Jan 2019 o_O

Also, wish the new packs were reusable instead of having to dispose of them. Wonder if this can be hacked for diy pak containers.

Last edited:
I was excited when I got the email as well. I was about to put my C up for sale. But as @Tuckerl mentioned, we’re getting close!

... but Jan 2019 o_O

Also, wish the new packs were reusable instead of having to dispose of them. Wonder if this can be hacked for diy pak containers.

I doubt. We'll see, but with their business model, I doubt. They will likely put a single use RFID tag on the packs. From the freestyle menu (or a new menu) they will force you to register the packs, and put your recipe. The machine will authenticate the pack just like commercial paks, and pull the recipe. I don't see how they could do it differently. They could make the serials multi-use, but why would they? They want to make as much money as possible. At $10 each, I actually don't mind. But if they sell them $18 after the kickstart promo, it would make those more expensive than paks on sale. Not sure it would be that popular. Likely what the breweries want. Which is what I wonder... how they approach brewries with their model. Now that BYOI is here, it's potentially less sales for them. Potentially!

I doubt. We'll see, but with their business model, I doubt. They will likely put a single use RFID tag on the packs. From the freestyle menu (or a new menu) they will force you to register the packs, and put your recipe. The machine will authenticate the pack just like commercial paks, and pull the recipe. I don't see how they could do it differently. They could make the serials multi-use, but why would they? They want to make as much money as possible. At $10 each, I actually don't mind. But if they sell them $18 after the kickstart promo, it would make those more expensive than paks on sale. Not sure it would be that popular. Likely what the breweries want. Which is what I wonder... how they approach brewries with their model. Now that BYOI is here, it's potentially less sales for them. Potentially!

If I remember right, the serial # on the current commercial paks doesn't actually get disabled in their database for a day or two after it's brewed. So you could presumably re-fill the same pak several times with the same recipe and do back-to-back brews. Somewhat limiting from a variety perspective, but would let you get more for your money.

Well I understand they need to profit with RFID but still think a more permanent box would be cool as well even if we have to pay for an RFID or some type of access to the database each time. But, hey, we are getting closer to more control so it’s still good news.

Btw, I’ve only brewed 3 batches. My intention with the Pico was to start brewing after a long break and stay small. Well, that went over like a lead balloon. I wasn’t satisfied with the 1.5 gallons so I stepped it up to BIAB. Wasn’t satisfied with that either. So I dug out my keggles and started brewing 5-10 gallons again. As expected, I was back in bliss with my system from the 90s.

That’s why I almost put my C up for sale until this news. Thanks, Pico. Lol.

Last edited:
Well I understand they need to profit with RFID but still think a more permanent box would be cool as well even if we have to pay for an RFID or some type of access to the database each time. But, hey, we are getting closer to more control so it’s still good news.

Btw, I’ve only brewed 3 batches. My intention with the Pico was to start brewing after a long break and stay small. Well, that went over like a lead balloon. I wasn’t satisfied with the 1.5 gallons so I stepped it up to BIAB. Wasn’t satisfied with that either. So I dug out my keggles and started brewing 5-10 gallons again. As expected, I was back in bliss with my system from the 90s.

That’s why I almost put my C up for sale until this news. Thanks, Pico. Lol.

Lol.... funny, sounds like me. In my case, no space for a much larger system. I brew 3 or 4 batches in a row and have a mix of pico and 3gal kegs. So far it's the best balance between space and quantity I found.

I hear you, I would have introduced a whole step filter with dividers for that purpose, which would include a permanent RFID tag. All reusable.

Lol.... funny, sounds like me. In my case, no space for a much larger system. I brew 3 or 4 batches in a row and have a mix of pico and 3gal kegs. So far it's the best balance between space and quantity I found.
I had to sacrifice my workbench area for space and break out my big ass set-up. I moved from densely populated Seattle into a suburb (much bigger house thank goodness). But if starting next year this new custom feature works out it will totally be my pilot system before finalizing a big brew recipe. Pico/pilot in the kitchen and big brews on the workbench.

I love my 3 gallon kegs. And the small Pico one as well.

Hi Everyone, I posted yesterday, but it didn't appear :(. (I have a Picobrew Pico-C). I emailed Picobrew customer service when I saw the 'build your own' announcement. They couldn't quote me a price on the reusable pack boxes, but they did mention that the 'starter kit' on Kickstarter includes reusable parts, like the dividers and clamps. They hinted that the one-use pack boxes would be pretty cheap.
-Ellen L.

Anybody know if these newly announced bits from their email will work with the original Pico units sold during the kickstarter campaign? I don't know what nomenclature they're using for that model.

There were multiple kickstarters, so you'll have to be more specific. The Pico (nothing), Pico S, and Pico Pro are all essentially the same thing, just came with different parts. The Pico C was a cost-reduced version designed to work exclusively with their proprietary kegs.

My understanding is that the Mini Pico Paks will work in any of these, provided you purchase the Fusion Beverage add-on. I would expect that the "use your own ingredients" Pico Paks will work as well (there's no reason they shouldn't), but they haven't said so explicitly.

Anybody know if these newly announced bits from their email will work with the original Pico units sold during the kickstarter campaign? I don't know what nomenclature they're using for that model.

Yes, the campaign comments contains their reply. Since the step filter is the same, it will. Pico S is the original Pico model by the way.

There were multiple kickstarters, so you'll have to be more specific. The Pico (nothing), Pico S, and Pico Pro are all essentially the same thing, just came with different parts. The Pico C was a cost-reduced version designed to work exclusively with their proprietary kegs.

My understanding is that the Mini Pico Paks will work in any of these, provided you purchase the Fusion Beverage add-on. I would expect that the "use your own ingredients" Pico Paks will work as well (there's no reason they shouldn't), but they haven't said so explicitly.

Actually they did.
"@Andrew. Yes! Use your own ingredients kits are compatible with Pico U AND Pico C/S/Pro."

Just got another email that said they're planning on selling just the empty paks (without the clips, dividers, etc that are in the $50 kit) at $29/10. So even with shipping they should be less than $4 each.
Thanks for the update. That’s a pretty decent price.

just logged in to see if you all are reading what I am reading...4 bucks a pack... I am assuming the current kit contains all the non throw away items and you won't get them with the 10 pack?

Am I right? So the 50 bucks right now gets you 20 dollars worth of boxes and 30 dollars worth of reusable items?

i am too tired to think... or calculate. Long day. And I've got to watch my budget since I think I am going to have to buy a new skidloader.

just logged in to see if you all are reading what I am reading...4 bucks a pack... I am assuming the current kit contains all the non throw away items and you won't get them with the 10 pack?

Am I right? So the 50 bucks right now gets you 20 dollars worth of boxes and 30 dollars worth of reusable items?

i am too tired to think... or calculate. Long day. And I've got to watch my budget since I think I am going to have to buy a new skidloader.

5 paks and 5 mini paks, plus all the reusable stuff. The 10 pack is for 10 larger picopaks. No clue how those will be, say $2 instead of $3. So $25 of reusable and $25 of consumables approx I guess? Are the hops bags and adjuncts part of the 10 pack, or we would need to buy separately ?

So excluding shipping, the kit comes with $15 worth of empty full-size paks ($3x5). The other $35 buys you:

5 more hops paks (as pico pak minis)
3 Reusable dividers
Stainless clips to hold the paks shut
Adjunct sachets
5 Mineral packets
10 "tea bags" of Bittering hops

Doesn't seem like a screaming bargain, but not a ripoff either.

So adjuncts and hops go in reusable bags? Since they don't put reusable in front, I will guess not. Sounds like you need to buy more than the 10 pack of mash bins.

Funny, I backed the kit for the pro and haven't been checking up on the kickstarter. Makes sense now how it works. Thanks.

Ok. I had backed the Pico U on Kickstarter and they just cancelled it tonight. As I think where to go next, I had a question on the C vs Pro. As I look it over...it seems that short of the larger display and SS finish, there’s not much difference from a wort production standpoint. Most differences appear to be in the kegs and fittings. Assuming I racked from the Pico keg to my carboy for a controlled fermentation then to my own serving kegs...it looks like the C would work fine for me. Am I understanding that correctly?

Ok. I had backed the Pico U on Kickstarter and they just cancelled it tonight. As I think where to go next, I had a question on the C vs Pro. Assuming I racked from the Pico keg to my carboy for a controlled fermentation then to my own serving kegs...it looks like the C would work fine for me. Am I understanding that correctly?
If you understand the fittings (C being fitted to Pico’s proprietary system) then you are correct.

I also racked to my own fermenter because I’m one of those who like to observe the fermentation.

I too backed the project but just the brew your own packs. This option was what made me decide to keep my C. Now that it’s not really on the table anymore it might hit the for sale thread.

Thanks...and yeah. The proprietary fittings won’t matter if I rack to my carboy and kegs. The only thing keeping me from buying the C now is if I believe them that the brew your own packs are still coming and will work with the C. They lost a lot of credibility after this campaign.

We’ve also heard your enthusiasm for Fusion and BYO and we’re working on bringing those benefits to you early on your Pico C as well. Please stay tuned.

Looks like they are still planning the BYO just not sure when [emoji17]

I read that statement as "we're going to bring out the fusion kit and BYO before the launch of the U"

As an owner of an S, I would actually recommend the C. Not because I dislike my S, but because the C kegs are AWESOME for brewing, and you need an adapter kit to use them with the S/Pro. The hoses are heavy enough that they have to be positioned just so to prevent them from wiggling the rubber adapters off. The C's hoses fit right over the barbs on the keg, so you don't have that problem.

If you want to do a closed transfer to your fermenter or kegs, you'll still need the adapter kit to use with the transfer tube, but that's not an issue at all.

Hi there! I have a troubleshooting question I hope you all can help me with...

I am brewing a batch of Atomic Amber (it is my first time running the show solo ...usually my husband is the “brewmaster”, but he is out to sea and I wanted to have a batch waiting for him when he came home). We have recently moved and I think the new climate may be throwing me for a loop or something....o can’t figure it out. The temperature has been right at the upper edge of the slow fermentation range (between 22-23 C), but we had always used the slow fermentation process in the terribly hot summers of Japan without any problems, so I figured San Diego weather would be no problem. I have been carefully monitoring the temperature and trying to keep the keg and the room it is in as consistent as I can. It has only been about 5 days and the “burping” in the air lock has slowed to about 1-2 belches per minute. I remember from previous brews that this process took closer to 7 or 8 days for us most of the time. I am apprehensive to cold crash the beer already, as I don’t want it to have “off” flavors, yet, I don’t want it to just sit around, either. What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much for your help!

Personally I just let mine go for two weeks. I don't have a refractometer to accurately measure final gravity and make sure it is done fermenting. I also work out of town during the week, so it makes it easier for me this way. As long as you have liquid in the airlock, there is no problem letting it sit for awhile to make sure it is done.

Did anyone read this part in the emails "Use our Beer Editor and choose from a library of recipes, create your recipe, or import an existing BeerXML recipe" and wonder what this "beer editor" was? I actually emailed them back, and Ryan got back to me saying "I assume you mean the freestyle packs?" I then said, "well, I know what freestyle packs are, but 'beer editor with a library of recipes' sounds like something different." So, anyhow, I got my hopes up that there was a big "library of recipes" or other tool separate from the freestyle packs, but I guess not. The freestyle packs don't really offer enough for me, but I guess that's why you guys are excited about this new opportunity to use your own ingredients. I'm not sure I have enough time or energy for that right now.

Next question (unrelated). Last night, I was racking my Vanilla in Yo Rye to bottles and something got stopped-up after filling the first bottle about half way. So, I canceled out, removed both posts of the keg, cleaned them well, started again, and still nothing moved. So, my next best idea was to run a quick "first rinse" to see if maybe the attachments or air hoses or something else was to blame. Fortunately, that did the job! However, as I was filling the first few bottles, I realized there was a gurgling sound coming from the step filter, because I had accidentally left the water in there from the rinse I just did! I quickly dumped that and then proceeded, but now I'm really worried that I introduced that water into my keg while racking to the bottles. When racking, is it pulling air from the step filter to push to the keg? Did I just ruin my whole brew during the bottling/carbing stage by potentially pulling some water into it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes
Did anyone read this part in the emails "Use our Beer Editor and choose from a library of recipes, create your recipe, or import an existing BeerXML recipe" and wonder what this "beer editor" was? I actually emailed them back, and Ryan got back to me saying "I assume you mean the freestyle packs?" I then said, "well, I know what freestyle packs are, but 'beer editor with a library of recipes' sounds like something different." So, anyhow, I got my hopes up that there was a big "library of recipes" or other tool separate from the freestyle packs, but I guess not. The freestyle packs don't really offer enough for me, but I guess that's why you guys are excited about this new opportunity to use your own ingredients. I'm not sure I have enough time or energy for that right now.

Next question (unrelated). Last night, I was racking my Vanilla in Yo Rye to bottles and something got stopped-up after filling the first bottle about half way. So, I canceled out, removed both posts of the keg, cleaned them well, started again, and still nothing moved. So, my next best idea was to run a quick "first rinse" to see if maybe the attachments or air hoses or something else was to blame. Fortunately, that did the job! However, as I was filling the first few bottles, I realized there was a gurgling sound coming from the step filter, because I had accidentally left the water in there from the rinse I just did! I quickly dumped that and then proceeded, but now I'm really worried that I introduced that water into my keg while racking to the bottles. When racking, is it pulling air from the step filter to push to the keg? Did I just ruin my whole brew during the bottling/carbing stage by potentially pulling some water into it?

Thanks!
yes, it pulls in air from the step filter to push for racking. It’s VERY low pressure, pump runs minimum speed. If you caught it quick you probably didn’t get any water in. Don’t worry even if you did it will be fine.

Are you guys using dishwasher pods in your keg to run the deep clean? I used the free sample one that came with my Pico Pro and am wondering if I should buy more of the same. Thanks!

Are you guys using dishwasher pods in your keg to run the deep clean? I used the free sample one that came with my Pico Pro and am wondering if I should buy more of the same. Thanks!
Yes, they are the best thing you can use, the regular Finish powerballs.

I've used both the zymatic cleaning tablets, as well as method dishwasher tabs. The latter is the pink grapefruit scented, but I haven't noticed any flavors/aromas sticking around afterwards. Both work just fine.

I've used both the zymatic cleaning tablets, as well as method dishwasher tabs. The latter is the pink grapefruit scented, but I haven't noticed any flavors/aromas sticking around afterwards. Both work just fine.
I can tell you from owning a Z that the zymatic tabs are horrible. You can run a deep clean with a Z tab that looks clean, followed by a deep clean with the powerball and get tons of gunk out. There’s a reason they recommend the power balls and ship one with each Z and Pico unit.

Years ago I brewed but never kegged only bottled. Now that I have used kegs I will never go back except for special occasions where I want to take bottles somewhere.

My question, how often do you change the seals/washers on the keg posts and the tubes? I've brewed over 50 times now and I have an assortment of kegs but I try to rotate them, some are strictly serving some I use just for brewing. No leaks so far but I think I should get prepared. Thanks!

Years ago I brewed but never kegged only bottled. Now that I have used kegs I will never go back except for special occasions where I want to take bottles somewhere.

My question, how often do you change the seals/washers on the keg posts and the tubes? I've brewed over 50 times now and I have an assortment of kegs but I try to rotate them, some are strictly serving some I use just for brewing. No leaks so far but I think I should get prepared. Thanks!

I keep a keg oring replacement set on hand, you can find them at homebrewing shops and online. Kegging for 10 years and can’t think of more than 2 or 3 I’ve ever changed. Good to have ready when you need though.

Back