PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question here for anyone who has used the serving kegs. Between Pico and my regular homebrewing my kegerator is at capacity. My Angels Belgian Blonde is going to have to go to a serving keg. I tried one of these in the past with not much success. Basically if I leave the CO2 attached, I get a geyser of foam even if I turn it way down from carb pressures. But the serving valve sucks and the beer goes flat. Anyone have some insight into making these things not awful

I use this in my mini kegerator
"Tap Conversion Kit for Other 5-Liter Mini Kegs" from Amazon.
It works quite well, I do not use the little C02 cartridges but have a 9oz paintball tank ion the kegerator.

I use this in my mini kegerator
"Tap Conversion Kit for Other 5-Liter Mini Kegs" from Amazon.
It works quite well, I do not use the little C02 cartridges but have a 9oz paintball tank ion the kegerator.

Very interesting. Hard to vision how it's working with your paintball tank. Maybe a few pics if you can would be nice.

I am a bit surprised that more folks have not signed up for the $500 12 Month unlimited Brew. That comes to about $42 a month. Brew twice a month and you, depending on pico pack selected, are ahead of the game. Anything beyond that is jus free beer....

I totally get parting with $500 up front is a bit of a hurdle to overcome..

Like Denny said a while ago, I just can't get comfortable pushing the beer with air. It just seems wrong lol. I know it's harmless. Some old dogmas die hard I guess

It is not harmless. My Pico beers have been much better since I stopped doing it.

I am a bit surprised that more folks have not signed up for the $500 12 Month unlimited Brew. That comes to about $42 a month. Brew twice a month and you, depending on pico pack selected, are ahead of the game. Anything beyond that is jus free beer....

The campaign just started and there is no limit on them, there will be more people sign up. Also the kickstarter system only allows you to select one pledge then add the cost of another, so anyone who pledged a Pico-c and any add on subscription or keg pack, you will not see the add on pledge count.

My take... many PICO brewers have other brewing devices , either traditional or the Z. So the PICO is a very expensive brew option even at the $500 all they want to deliver special. The other brewers are PICO brewers only, and this system is not designed for a large pipeline; one does not typically take the smallest brew volume package and decide to make the most beer with a big pipeline. I would be surprised if the 12 month package had much legs after the first year novelty. But what do I know.

I think you are spot on. Pico for me is something I use when I want to brew but have limited time. If I have a free weekend, I'm doing a 3 or 5 gal AG batch. It's cheaper and much more cost effective. Plus, I actually enjoy the process. Yeah it's a lot of work but it's the type of work that can be relaxing particularly if you aren't rushed.

I love having the Pico option and I would consider unlimited if I ever get up to 2 per month. That may very well happen with the new kegs I ordered.

Look through the reviews in the marketplace and the Facebook group, the huge majority of Pico users are new to brewing, but yes there are a lot of us experienced brewers as well. Brew unlimited will be very popular if their shipping times stay quick.

My take... many PICO brewers have other brewing devices , either traditional or the Z. So the PICO is a very expensive brew option even at the $500 all they want to deliver special. The other brewers are PICO brewers only, and this system is not designed for a large pipeline; one does not typically take the smallest brew volume package and decide to make the most beer with a big pipeline. I would be surprised if the 12 month package had much legs after the first year novelty. But what do I know.

I have 4 brewing systems...Pico, Z, Grainfather, and cooler mash tun. And I have 3 different sizes of coolers. So when I brew, it comes down to a decision of how much time I have and what I feel like doing.

Look through the reviews in the marketplace and the Facebook group, the huge majority of Pico users are new to brewing, but yes there are a lot of us experienced brewers as well. Brew unlimited will be very popular if their shipping times stay quick.

I think brew unlimited appeals to a very small niche though. A new brewer isn't likely to commit 500 up front and more experienced Brewers like some of us have a lot of different options and ways we like to brew. I think it's a good deal when you price it out though. Just not sure I'd be able to take advantage

I have 4 brewing systems...Pico, Z, Grainfather, and cooler mash tun. And I have 3 different sizes of coolers. So when I brew, it comes down to a decision of how much time I have and what I feel like doing.

How do you like the GF Denny. I've been going back and forth on getting one

How do you like the GF Denny. I've been going back and forth on getting one

It's a great system if it fits the way you like to brew. Works well, makes great beer. I don't use it as much as either of the Picobrew systems, which are hands off, or my coolers, which are totally hands on. But it's a great piece of equipment.

This is a try.. here is my Kegerator set-up

It's great how you managed to re-use the regulator and make use out of the dispensing keg. Since many of us must have a number of the serving kegs from the kickstarter, and since they haven't changed their serving "solution," something like your setup would certainly help Picobrew's cause. Being able to carb and serve four (or more) would be ideal in my case! Otherwise I was planning to go to a ball-lock setup, but that does necessitate more brewing kegs.

I'm not sure it I'm going to jump on the $500 brew unlimited but I'm definitely jumping on the 2 month and then continuing at $60/mo for now.

It moves the value proposition a lot for Canadians - shipping becomes a flat $10/mo. My friend has a couple 10L cornys so now brewing some double batches becomes a huge value add.

I ordered the early bird on kickstarter and when you clicked on it. It said what was included and the carb adaptor was included.

Meant super early bird

Oh interesting I also ordered the Super Early Bird.

Here is the description for the Super Early Bird:

"Pico C Super Early Bird
A fun and simple way to brew delicious craft beer! The all new Pico C includes the easy to use Pico C Brew Keg and everything you need to brew, ferment, serve, and enjoy your favorite craft beers.
Expected retail price: $549"

Don't think we are getting a regulator....just the lower price for being first...

I thought I saw that in the what's in the box for that particular super early bird deal not just that description. Maybe I am wrong it's happened once or twice before

I don't think the regulator is included with the Pico c. Actually I know it's not, it's in the FAQ or comments somewhere.

Although not something I had planned on when this all started, I got a water distiller for about $100 and it seems to solve a big piece of the puzzle. 5 hours boil time gives me a clean 4 liter pitcher, and I think that works out to about $0.10 per liter via electricity cost. Considering RO water goes for $1 a liter in Japan, this has actually "paid for itself" just for the remaining kickstarter paks I have on hand! Certainly if the prices are $5 a gallon in northern Europe this would be the most effective one way of doing it. I suspect however that Picobrew is looking into distilling water via the Pico C itself (there was a hint in the feedback comments) as added functionality.

Not to complain much here, but Picobrew's stance that they will add Pak distribution centers to geographic regions when they see demand seems a bit chicken-vs-egg approach. Rather shouldn't they eat a substantial cost of the S&H in these early days to judge what that "demand" actually is before going forward? I mean, Amazon doesn't set up distribution centers based on the pleas of customers being hit with high S&H costs, they do the math themselves. From the local beer lovers I have talked to, it is the cost of the final beer itself (pak + s&h + RO = $50+ for 5 liters) which has put them off the pico unit.

Although not something I had planned on when this all started, I got a water distiller for about $100 and it seems to solve a big piece of the puzzle. 5 hours boil time gives me a clean 4 liter pitcher, and I think that works out to about $0.10 per liter via electricity cost. Considering RO water goes for $1 a liter in Japan, this has actually "paid for itself" just for the remaining kickstarter paks I have on hand! Certainly if the prices are $5 a gallon in northern Europe this would be the most effective one way of doing it. I suspect however that Picobrew is looking into distilling water via the Pico C itself (there was a hint in the feedback comments) as added functionality.

I bought this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0ZGOZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great but only has a 3 gallon tank - I keep a few (well 6) gallon jugs filled. I use the RO water for everything now. I pinged the manufacturer about a larger tank... no response. that was through Amazon and not a direct email. but I am happy anyway.
I actually made a cup of tea using tap water and it was almost not drinkable compared to using the Apec.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pinged the manufacturer about a larger tank... no response.

They sell the unit in Japan, a bit more expensive, so it was the other alternative I was seriously thinking of. I have 40 liters of "boxed water" being filled, so I too will have clean water on hand for tea/coffee/cooking going forward. Even the first 4 liter boil left visible residue in the stainless steel kettle - warning me just how tap water will mess up the pico's steam heater!

It blows my mind that ro or distilled water isn't readily available in other countries. I can take my own 5 gallon water jug just at the end of the street and fill it up with RO water for $1.25. Or I can get distilled water at any supermarket or Walmart for like $.80 a gallon. I usually buy the gallons at Walmart because I'm lazy and they are already pre measured.

I'm glad y'all are finding solutions to keep your Pico brewing!

My first picopak ever was a Half Squeezed, and now about 10 paks later I'm trying again (now that I know what I'm doing :) )

What struck me today is how incredibly awesome this pak smells while it's brewing - whatever magical hop combination is in there is a complete home run!

I also did a Deaf Turtle right afterwards.

Two batches works almost perfectly with an 18L water cooler jug of distilled water- I run a "first time clean", then two batches, then a deep clean at the end. That almost completely uses up the jug of water.

New addition on the Kickstarter to the 2 and 12 month Brew All You Want Packages:

"The only thing that really holds you back, you see, is your desire and ability to consume the world’s best fresh craft beers, and, well, your supply of beer kegs. So we’re going to help you out on that front too! We’ve decided to include with both BrewUnlimited subscriptions a new Pico C Brew Keg and a Serving Keg, for every Kickstarter backer who’s pledging BrewUnlimited at the 2 or 12 month level!"

Wow that's a great deal. Can't wait.

Bob, I LOVE half squeezed and I'm not a huge IPA guy. So good.

What would be the best pack to attempt fast fermentation with?
I have only used the pico as a wort making machine and did everything else my old way. I'd like to attempt a fast ferment with a beer that can have good results. Possibly a simple pilsner is best?

Also, I see that they suggest pitching the yeast dry in the keg and then shaking it. I always pitched my yeast after prepping it like a starter (re-hydrating the dry yeast with boiled water that raised to 100°F, half cup, then 15min later dump it in the keg). Anyone can suggest doing this for fast ferment, or even suggest something different for traditional ferment? It has worked fine for me. I am trying to save time, not cutting corners. It's been slow and steady and working. I'd like to experiment something else if I can.

Thanks,

On a different note, the new campaign got me wondering. I went with the Z, now they put in a still for the C. It does kambucha too?

What would be the best pack to attempt fast fermentation with?
I have only used the pico as a wort making machine and did everything else my old way. I'd like to attempt a fast ferment with a beer that can have good results. Possibly a simple pilsner is best?

Also, I see that they suggest pitching the yeast dry in the keg and then shaking it. I always pitched my yeast after prepping it like a starter (re-hydrating the dry yeast with boiled water that raised to 100°F, half cup, then 15min later dump it in the keg). Anyone can suggest doing this for fast ferment, or even suggest something different for traditional ferment? It has worked fine for me. I am trying to save time, not cutting corners. It's been slow and steady and working. I'd like to experiment something else if I can.

Thanks,

Truthfully, if you avoid fast fermentation you will make better beer. But if you want to do it, a pilsner seems like the worst choice. Lagers are generally fermented cold, not hot. There is generally no real benefit to rehydrating yeast, and especially in this case since you need so little yeast.

Truthfully, if you avoid fast fermentation you will make better beer. But if you want to do it, a pilsner seems like the worst choice. Lagers are generally fermented cold, not hot. There is generally no real benefit to rehydrating yeast, and especially in this case since you need so little yeast.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, right, so an ale like a ESB perhaps may yield better results with fast ferment? Maybe I'll experiment when BrewUnlimited is launched, so if the beer is not that good, it won't hurt as much.

For the pitching, when using the pico, you follow the steps suggested, and just drop the yeast (say 1/3 of the pack) stir and that's it? I'm leery of changing method.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, right, so an ale like a ESB perhaps may yield better results with fast ferment? Maybe I'll experiment when BrewUnlimited is launched, so if the beer is not that good, it won't hurt as much.

For the pitching, when using the pico, you follow the steps suggested, and just drop the yeast (say 1/3 of the pack) stir and that's it? I'm leery of changing method.

Not only the Pico...I always pitch dry yeast unrehydrated no matter which of my brewing systems the wort is produced on. I just haven't found it makes any difference to rehydrate, although you certainly can if you like. For the US05 yeast supplied with most packs, 1/2 tsp. of yeast unrehydrated works great.

Not only the Pico...I always pitch dry yeast unrehydrated no matter which of my brewing systems the wort is produced on. I just haven't found it makes any difference to rehydrate, although you certainly can if you like. For the US05 yeast supplied with most packs, 1/2 tsp. of yeast unrehydrated works great.

So I have been going through the trouble since 1991, when I didn't really need to? :(
The yeast looks "alive" and "happy" at least. ;)

Thanks again.

Anyone else rehydrating their yeast like me, out of curiosity?

Back