Picked up some cider...now a couple questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifidelity

Reaction score
I've been making EdWort's Apfelwein for some time now out of Mott's apple juice and dextrose, and I've use Montrachet and 71B yeasts. I found some Musselman's Cider at Wal-Mart tonight and thought about making a dry-hopped cider with it. Here are my questions:

1. I've got several kinds of yeast on hand. Montrachet, Safcider, US04, 71B, and maybe a couple others. Which would be best for a hopped cider in your experience? I plan to use Centennial, but I will have time to pick up other varieties before it's time to dry-hop.

2. Do I need to leave headspace in a fermentation vessel when using cider and/or an ale yeast? Apfelwein doesn't require any headspace when fermenting due to the lack of krausen...is cider the same, or is this yeast-dependent? I've got 5 gallon carboys to spare and I'd like to save my 6 gallon carboys for beer if at all possible.

3. To add sugar or not? I've got several pounds of dextrose on hand, but I wouldn't mind less alcohol if leaving it out would give me more apple flavor. Would this work?

Thanks in advance!

I love S-04 for cider. Safcider or 71B is good, too. Little or no krausen without added fruit. If the S.G. is over 1.050 skip the sugar. My $0.02

I like ale yeasts. I use wlp002, but s04 would be a great sub. They stay a little sweeter and retain apple flavors.

You do not need headspace. I fill my 5 gallon glass carboy all the way up to the neck, and I will get tiny bubbles, no more than 1/2 inch tall at highest krausen.

If you want apfelwein, add sugar. If you want a simple cider, don't add sugar. Either way, you'll get 4 to 6 percent depending on your attenuation.

Back