Pick my yeast for me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you were to brew a beer using the weed like Strata hops in a pale ale with 93% 2 row and 7 % crystal 20, and only had Imperial Dry hop yeast or Denny's 1450, which would you choose and why?

Imperial Dry hop: Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian. When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up. The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach, and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop-driven beer.

Denny's 1450:This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated.

I don't have any more neutral yeast available right now plus, I don't want these to go to waste. Ideally, with this hop I would let it tell the story of the beer but both of these yeasts may take over a bit but I'm ok with that. I'm leaning towards 1450 at the moment but still back and forth.

Imperial dry hop yeast sounds really good. I like Imperial yeast , good stuff . I'm gonna have to check into that one. So yeah , that's my vote

Idk about this strain but some Imperials you dont need a starter . Do you with this one?

Just depends on what you want... I’ve never used 1450 myself but I have used dry hop. It will create esters that will get in the way of the true hop expression for sure.

I’ve used Strata a lot. There is a slight dank character to it but the fruitiness is what stands out. It’s an awesome hop for sure. It can get a little grassy depending on the lot you have. Supposedly it’s only grown on two farms and they border each other but I’ve definitely got some that has some grass to it. I hadn’t experienced that before. I’ve used it for two years or so, back when it was X331.

If you want to find out what the hop truly delivers I’d use 1450. It’s supposed to be a pretty clean yeast.

I often use a clean American ale yeast when exploring new hops. It gets out of the way and really lets the hop
Character shine.

Couch has a valid point . You might wanna try a neutral yeast when trying out a new hop to really get its character. Us05 comes to mind. I bet that imperial dry hop yeast would be great in a NEIPA

Thanks for the replies. I ended up making a starter of the 1450 last night because all the calculators said my Dry Hop yeast only had 10% viability so I would have needed to make a step up and just don't have the time.
Yes, I do prefer a clean strain such as Chico but I've used 1450 many times in IPA's and it really doesn't mute hops at all. Just helps bring out some maltiness which I like in my lower gravity beers.

The Dry Hop yeast has been used 4 times and is very good in Pales, IPA's and especially NEIPA's.

Latest posts

Back