Pic advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I always try to take a pic of the first pint of every batch to keep with my notes. I just got a new phone with a better camera (latest razr maxx with kit kat), foolproof they say. Does anyone have any advice about how to specify what I want focused? In this pic I wanted the glass and the nice head (SWMBO Slayer) to be focused but the camera thought my cutting board and wall were the most important component of the picture. It is a nice shot of my cutting board I will admit.
Focus.JPG

I tried centering on the glass and moving and out a little. Each time I could see the camera refocus but eventually focus on the same non beer items. I am not really into photography so the phone is all I want so if anyone has any suggestions I would appriciate it.

Don't know anything about the camera, but.
Try moving your beer bottle closer to the glass. Might help define the focus point.
Watch your background and foreground. Keep everything you don't want the camera to focus on neutral. The counter top would be more neutral than the cutting board. The camera may even try to adjust focus for the wall outlet.

Seen many times, taking a picture with a bright light or sunny window in the background. Guaranteed to make the object of the picture a dark blob.

I will try it without the cutting board. It makes sense with all of the detail in the board it might try to focus the majority of the pic instead of the proportionatly small bits (glass). I did one with just the glass on the cutting board and it did the same thing:
Good.JPG

I will try again tonight and see how they come out.

Thanks for the info.

Tap on the screen on what you want In focus

Seriously? I can't wait to get home and try. This new phone you tap on the screen to take the pic instead of the button on the screen to take the picture. That would be awesome if that worked.

I tried it and any time I touched the screen it took a pic. Would have been nice. I will try taking pics in more of a neutral setting without a lot of intricate detail to focus on. I should be bottling this weekend to try.

Instead of tapping quickly, have you tried just putting your finger on the screen where you want to focus and just holding it there? Look and see if it makes a box where your finger is held and that should indicate where it's focused. Not sure if it'll work on that phone but it's worth a shot.

My Moto X is basically useless at focusing on anything I want it to focus on even when I use the focus mechanisms. I guess you get what you pay for when you buy a phone and get a camera for free with it.

Thanks all. I got rid of the cutting board with the fine detail and went with just a glass on my countertop. Things are getting better. I was wanting the focus on the foam and the glass. This last pic is getting more of what I want. I can still see it focusing on the small dots in the countertop, but it is getting better. If I had a place without the fine detail I would be golden. I will keep looking.
Glass.jpg

Back