Phoenix Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
I bought a pound of Phoenix a while back. What can I say - it was super cheap at the LHBS.

What can I expect if I do an all Phoenix English IPA?

Any feedback on Phoenix hops would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I bought a pound of Phoenix a while back. What can I say - it was super cheap at the LHBS.

What can I expect if I do an all Phoenix English IPA?

Any feedback on Phoenix hops would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Did you brew with the Phoenix hops?

I have a pound of UK Phoenix, my buddy and I only brewed with them one time. He did an extract batch and I did the same recipe all grain. (English barleywine)

We both found the hops to give a harsh rough bittering.

Just wondering how to best use them up.

2 cents: I got 4 ounces of it a while back. I brew English, American, and Anglo-American hybrid styles almost exclusively so I was excited to find what to me was a new, English derived bittering hops. Plainly put, I don't like it. As m1k3 put it, it's harsh and I found that it lent an almost sour taste to beers with lower SG (say 1.045-1.050).

I was well pleased finally to be done with it when I used it in a porter where I didn't notice it too much since there were plenty of dark malts to mask it. Still, there was a harshness I didn't like that sort of reminds me of what one used to say about using an aroma hop for bittering. That said, I never tried it after 30 mins so maybe there's something to it later in the boil, but I'm not especially eager to try it again.

English tasting hop. Reminds me a bit of goldings. I didnt particularly notice chocolate notes.
Aroma is not so strong. I find it good for English Bitters, English ipa, stouts and porters.

Its the only hop in this delicious rye chocolate stout I have on tap.

I split 15 gallons of wort. One of the fermenters, I dry hopped in the keg with 3oz of UK Phoenix at 38F after cold crashing.

The hop is very earthy (like dirt), no bright/fruity (no citrus).
It is slightly herbal or mossy.
The aroma is not very pleasant when I get my nose in the glass.

I have the other two beers produced from the same wort so I can easily pick it out.

This is strike 2 for UK Phoenix. Maybe it would be ok if use in very low amounts... but I found the bitterness harsh the first time I used it and the flavor/aroma for dry hopping off-putting.

If it gets better as it drops out I will post again. Otherwise you can assume I thew out the rest of these hops.

Maybe you got a bad batch? Or maybe our tastes are different. I rather like Phoenix. They're sort of like a Fuggle mixed with Northdown or Target. Earthy and English, with a slight floral character.

Maybe these are not a good example. I bought a pound. Fuggles and EKG are much more floral than these that I got. All the other hops I got from HopsDirect have been great.

I'm using them in a chocolate rye foreign stout. FWH Bittering, and a -15 addition. Tastes great. Not sure if I'd dry hop heavily with these. Only dry hop I tried was with other hops as well so can't really say.

I gave my UK Phoenix dry hopped beer on tap another taste today. This may be the first beer I ever dump. But I'll wait until the keg is needed and see if it mellows.

Had a pound of these years ago.....cheap. Had good AA% at 9. Used it in English styled brews- posters, stouts, browns, ESB, English IPA. When I was using it, there wasn't much info out there (or other people using it). Really only thing I was able to find was it is similar to Challenger and had some blackberry undertones. So I primarily used it as a bittering hop. Beers turned out fine. Then started using it for flavor and aroma (however in conjunction with my other English standards- kent holdings/ fuggles). I can't remember having any issues with any of the beers. I don't remember using more than 1 1/2-2 oz per 5 gallon batch though. It's been awhile, but if I recall- it did have a fruity (berry) even sweet taste and aroma and was mildly spivey (maybe this is what people are calling "sharp"). Very complimentary of English styled ale. In fact when paired with EKG, I recall a candy like sweetness that was very good.
My advice. Use it. Stick with a darker English ale- particularly a brown first. Low IBUs, and mix it with fuggle and/or EKG at different points so at least half hops are Phoenix.

Maybe mine were bad. They went in the trash. I am sure it was not the wort, I tried the hops in two brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I split 15 gallons of wort. One of the fermenters, I dry hopped in the keg with 3oz of UK Phoenix at 38F after cold crashing.

The hop is very earthy (like dirt), no bright/fruity (no citrus).
It is slightly herbal or mossy.
The aroma is not very pleasant when I get my nose in the glass.
Old thread, but can't find anything more current on Phoenix hops and this fits my experience.

Bought a pound of whole leaf Phoenix from Hops Direct and brewed a single hop ESB to learn more about it. Kegged half and have been drinking it. Not a great beer, but decent. A good change from the other styles I've had on tap lately. I dry hopped the other half with pellet Phoenix hops from Farmhouse at a rate of about a half ounce per gallon. Kegged it last night after about 10 day on the hops (5 at room temp / 5 day cold crash). As is, it's undrinkable. The herbal, mossy earthy description fits, but in and very intense, bad way. Mostly in the aroma, but flavor also.

My question to m1k3 is, did your beer ever turn around or did you dump it? Or has anyone else had this (or other) experience with Phoenix dry hopping they could share?

My question to m1k3 is, did your beer ever turn around or did you dump it? Or has anyone else had this (or other) experience with Phoenix dry hopping they could share?

It mostly got dumped. I sent a few growlers of my beer to a friend with no warning about this beer. And by buddy dumped that single growler... so, in a blind tasting someone confirmed my observations.

I even threw away the remainder of the pound of hops. I will not use them again.

Weird stuff. I've got a few orders of phoenix in from Farmhouse, and they've all been very good. Sorry to hear about the lost batches, fellas.

Back