Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be visiting my sister in Philly tonight through lunch time on Sunday. If anyone wants to grab a beer at some point, shoot me a note. Will be staying near 50th st., but will be exploring other areas of the city as well.

So what's the deal with Fermentary Form? If I go tomorrow at open, is it likely to be a ********, or is it pretty mellow?

Can I hypothetically have a beer or two, then make it over to CBP for first pitch at 4:05?

So what's the deal with Fermentary Form? If I go tomorrow at open, is it likely to be a ********, or is it pretty mellow?

Can I hypothetically have a beer or two, then make it over to CBP for first pitch at 4:05?
The handfull of times I've gone, which have been around opening, there have been no more than 8 people inside, including the members of my group. Unless something has drastically changed in the couple of months since I last visited, it is likely to be very mellow.

The handfull of times I've gone, which have been around opening, there have been no more than 8 people inside, including the members of my group. Unless something has drastically changed in the couple of months since I last visited, it is likely to be very mellow.

Thanks! If you (or anybody) have a suggestion for a lunch spot nearby as well that would be super helpful. I was gonna go to Memphis Taproom, but it's their anniversary, so I'm guessing that could be kind of crazy. If there's a spot that would be a better use of my time, and maybe not so crowded, that would be outstanding.

Thanks! If you (or anybody) have a suggestion for a lunch spot nearby as well that would be super helpful. I was gonna go to Memphis Taproom, but it's their anniversary, so I'm guessing that could be kind of crazy. If there's a spot that would be a better use of my time, and maybe not so crowded, that would be outstanding.

The one time I was there it was mellow (Wednesday night 4 weeks ago). Do they always have Saturday hours now or do they announce every day they are open on IG (honestly not following)?

Go to paesanos for lunch. Thank me later.

I'm going to miss all of Philly Beer Week this year and I don't actually care that much. There are very few worthwhile events nowadays and they are always horrendously crowded. I'm always so disappointed I missed the heyday of beer week back in 2007 -2009. The days when Hawthornes was selling growlers of Apple Brandy Hunahpu.

I'm going to miss all of Philly Beer Week this year and I don't actually care that much. There are very few worthwhile events nowadays and they are always horrendously crowded. I'm always so disappointed I missed the heyday of beer week back in 2007 -2009. The days when Hawthornes was selling growlers of Apple Brandy Hunahpu.

Also 10 years ago there were only like 10 breweries actually in the Philly area. There are so many now I would have to do some serious research to name them all.

Also 10 years ago there were only like 10 breweries actually in the Philly area. There are so many now I would have to do some serious research to name them all.
That and I'm not sure there were even other beer weeks in the country. So many breweries used to bring awesome stuff here because they wanted to show off. Now they mostly just stay local.

anyone going to the event at Monks on Sunday?

Nope but this sounds pretty awesome

In 2017, Tom Peters celebrated 20 years in business at Monk's by traveling around the world, collaborating with a few of our favorite brewers to create special beers only available at Monk's. We'll be serving seven of our anniversary collabs on Sunday, June 3 beginning at Noon, including:

Allagash Tom's Blend on draft, a cuvee blonde;

Brasserie De La Senne Major Tom in bottles, a smoked double saison bottle conditioned with Brett;

Cantillon 20 Ans d'Amitié on draft, a raspberry and rhubarb lambic blend;

Lost Abbey 24 Steps on draft and in bottles, an oak aged wild ale;

New Belgium Falling Monk on draft, a Flemish Oude Brune-style collaboration with Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver, CO;

Oxbow Le Parrain on draft and in bottles, a cuvee of smoked, spontaneous and saison barrel aged beers;

Tired Hands Tom Hands in bottles, a cuvee of barrel aged beers including peach grisette.

Who the Hell Let Tom in the Brewery?! is an unticketed, pay-as-you-go party. Bottles will be available for on-site enjoyment and take-away. Meet you in the back bar.

35330160_10157621032784552_6335370490118406144_n.jpg

Hi Philly dudes. I'll be in the city Friday and Saturday before the pixies\weezer concert Saturday in camden. Anyone around to drink some beers?
Will be at that show. Not sure what my tailgating plans are but PM me if you are doing anything pre-show.

#notbeer

I have 2 Radiohead tickets for Wednesday night that I would like to sell, section 102, row 8. I paid $227 for the pair. Face value or best offer. I just need to make sure it isn't a total loss, and that they go to a good home. PM if interested.

Hey guys, I'm doing a road trip lif that starts in just over a week, hope you'll offer a guess! Me and my boys will be headed your way!

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/bigfranks-fathers-day-road-trip-6-0-penn-oh-mich.41421/

Okay, let's do a LIF for this trip! I will be traveling from August 10th through August 20th with this schedule:
Fly into Philadelphia
Drive from Philadelphia to
Pittsburgh
Columbus/Dayton
Detroit
Grand Rapids
Cleveland
Back to Philadelphia.

I'm picking up the rental from the Philadelphia train station if you really want to get nitpicky.

Here is the lif. Guess the total number of miles traveled on my rental car during my trip. Closest number wins even if it's higher. If for some wacky reason there is a tie, the tiebreaker is the total number of stamps gained in my National Park passport. Entries will be accepted up until August 9th. Winner gets a box of whatever beer is in my fridge at home.

Feel free to add your best Midwest gif.

Please allow me to rant.

First it was Evil Genuis with their "Trust the Process" beer. Then various breweries made beer referencing the Eagles this past year. Now we have beers being named after that orange meme for the hockey team.

SEPA brewers. Please stop trying to cash in on the local sports teams. Make better beer.

(NOTE: Yes, I bought a 4 pack of the Round Guys "Rye, Eagles, Rye" and yes it's not a good beer)

My wife booked a beer tour in Philly for my birthday. Here's the list I can choose from. Which 4 would you recommend?

Yards Brewing Co
Evil Genius Beer Company
Flying Fish Brewing Co
Double Nickel Brewing Co
Dock Street Brewery
Roy Pitz Barrel House
Love City Brewing Co.
Fishtown Brewpub
Lunacy Brewing
St. Benjamin Brewing Co
Brauhaus Schmitz
Red Brick Distillery
Eclipse Brewing

Yards and Dock Street are the OGs (while not actually in their OG locations) so please pay your respects.

Brauhaus Schmidtz.

They rest? Throw a dart. I'm sure plenty of people will tell you Tired Hands even though it's not in your list.

My wife booked a beer tour in Philly for my birthday. Here's the list I can choose from. Which 4 would you recommend?

Yards Brewing Co
Evil Genius Beer Company
Flying Fish Brewing Co
Double Nickel Brewing Co
Dock Street Brewery
Roy Pitz Barrel House
Love City Brewing Co.
Fishtown Brewpub
Lunacy Brewing
St. Benjamin Brewing Co
Brauhaus Schmitz
Red Brick Distillery
Eclipse Brewing

If you head into nj
Def skip any you referenced and check out Tonewood Brewing in oaklynn

But ones you mentioned

Flying fish is ok big space
Double nickel another big space big selection ok stuff
Lunacy very small
Eclipse even smaller but if your there and can get lunch/dinner blue monkey huge tap list

I live near all those places and tonewood, tired hands, and forest and main are the only ones I actually visit.

Also if yards is on the table, second district is probably an option. Solid food and beer there.

Are you only hitting breweries? I’d also consider some of the South Philly bars....Fountain porter, SPTR...

I guess my main point is that it’s sort of a shame to come into Philly for a beer tour and drink a bunch of the average local beer and not all of the great beer we have at our disposal every day.

I live near all those places and tonewood, tired hands, and forest and main are the only ones I actually visit.

Also if yards is on the table, second district is probably an option. Solid food and beer there.

Are you only hitting breweries? I’d also consider some of the South Philly bars....Fountain porter, SPTR...

I guess my main point is that it’s sort of a shame to come into Philly for a beer tour and drink a bunch of the average local beer and not all of the great beer we have at our disposal every day.

The list I gave is where this tour company will take you. We're going out after the tour as well

I'm not a purist by any means, but it's hilarious they are trying to call it "American Lambic" and yet have a paragraph like this:
Though the result is what Tripp calls “lambic-inspired,” he takes some major departures from how lambic is produced in Belgium when formulating his own beers. “We don’t do a turbid mash,” he says, referring to the traditional first step of lambic production in Belgium, “and we do not spontaneously inoculate.” Instead, the wort is pitched with a house mixed culture that Tripp has been propagating for nearly a decade now. “I was a pretty ambitious homebrewer and we’ve had multiple wine barrels going in multiple locations for several years,” he says, explaining how a year-old brewery has a decade-old culture.
edit: Basically, nothing is done that makes this like lambic, but sure whatever call it lambic. Just say it's a sour beer or American Wild Ale.

edit2: It's more an annoyance at the author to me. It just makes him sound like a dummy.

“I’m not into being very descriptive,” he says. “I feel like if people want to know, they can find out by talking to us. And if they pick it up at random and are curious, that’s fine. But if they don’t understand, then it’s probably not for them.”
:rolleyes:

I'm not a purist by any means, but it's hilarious they are trying to call it "American Lambic" and yet have a paragraph like this:

edit: Basically, nothing is done that makes this like lambic, but sure whatever call it lambic. Just say it's a sour beer or American Wild Ale.

edit2: It's more an annoyance at the author to me. It just makes him sound like a dummy.
I’m more surprised they chose to write up this brewery as opposed to any others who are doing house cultured AWAs or really an American brewery that is brewing in the lambic style.

Back