Phil Mill Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Hey,

I am having a problem with my Phil Mill. Maybe someone out there can help save my brew day.

I had changed over from the hand crank to the drill attachment. Unfortunately, over time, it seems my drill is slipping on the attachment (which is perfectly smooth and round, not hexagonal). Today, I crushed most of my grain but the drill is spinning on the attachment. I removed the grain from the hopper to convert back to the hand crank, but it's on there pretty solid. Does anyone have any suggestions to getting the mill going again, or am I going old school with soup cans? There are a couple of pounds of grain waiting to be crushed and my water's all ready.

Thanks!
Rich

File three flat sides on the drill side of the attachment, so the 3 prongs from the drill's chuck have something to grab onto. Some people have been successful by wrapping 2-3 turns of electrical tape on the round shaft to give the chuck a better grip. The last method is the easiest and fastest, but I never tried.

Make sure to tighten each of the 3 prongs, not just one.

Many drills don't have a chuck key and hand tight is simply not tight enough, regardless of the shape of the shaft. The momentum on the thin shaft is enormous!

Last edited:
Back