Phenolic after water chem. adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngie

Reaction score
I brewed the CYBI Mission Street pale ale 2 weeks ago and wanted to try my hand at build a water profile from scratch and the beer is phenolic in both taste and aroma.
Its at the FG and I've moved to secondary for dry hopping.

I know I screwed up the adjustments after doing more research here and other places on the net. I screwed up by adding the adjustments to only the mash water volume and not the total volume of water.

4.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.72 kg Munich Malt
0.24 kg Carapils (Briess)
7.00 gm Williamette [4.80 %] (90 min)
28.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
28.00 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
7.00 gm Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min)
24.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min)
24.00 gm Centennial [9.10 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) w/ 2L starter

Procedure: Multi-step mash

Mash in with 12L (3g) of distilled and added 6g of Gypsum and Calc. Chloride, 3g of Epsom salt and 1g of table salt. This gave the profile below (the number after the / is the mash+sparge profile).
Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 250 / 91
Mg: 23 / 8
Na: 33 /12
Cl: 292 / 106
SO4: 377 / 137

Added 3L of distilled to raise the temp of the mash to 155
Added 6L of distilled to raise to mash out
Sparged with 13L of distilled.

Could having such high numbers in the mash lead to the phenolic taste/smell?
It was also the first time using a hop sack, so I cant discount that may have done something too as the IBUs are around 45 and there really isn't any bitterness or hop flavor/aroma.
Sanitation and fermentation temps were both good and I've used WPL002 many time before without issue.
This is looking like a dumper.

Most phenolic homebrew can be traced to a problem in fermentation either caused by less than ideal sanitation or high temperatures beyond the range of the chosen yeast. Either an infection from bacteria or wild yeast or yeast production of phenolic compounds can then occur.

I just got hit with my first infection. Beer has a definite phenolic character...we suspect Brett.

Likely picked up due to grain dust in the brew room. I had a batch after it that is fine, but it sure surprised me as I wasn't doing anything 'less sanitary' than in the past.

Yep, I think my situation is an infection too. Beer never cleared.
I think I can trace it back to the starter, but I've replaced my auto-siphon and tubing just in case.

Latest posts

Back