pH meter recommendations, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm finally taking the plunge into brewing water and (hopefully) consistently producing better beer. My process is pretty well dialed in using the limited equipment I have (10g BK, cheap-o propane burner, 10g igloo MT and 3g HLT for batch sparging and a 50' SS IC) I'm clocking in at 71% brewhouse efficiency but it goes up a little every batch and I'm able to chill to pitching temps in about 18 minutes, then into my ferm chamber.

Anyway, I say all that because even though my process is pretty solid I still turn out more 'meh' batches than I do 'hey, this is pretty good' batches, leading me to believe that water and being able to control pH is the final step that will take my beers to the more enjoyable level!

So, what pH meters do you guys recommend? Why? What should I look for, or stay away from? Those of you with one, is there another model you would have gotten instead if you were to start shopping again? I like the idea of the ATC meters to simplify things a bit for me. Is this a good move?

Covid-19 is a bastard and has all but put me out of business this year so I can't afford the Cadillac of meters, but I only like to buy things once so I do not want the cheapest thing out there. I would like to stay in the range of $100-150 so my wife (accountant) doesn't murder me in my sleep.

Thanks for any and all help. Cheers!

I have had the Hanna meter for several years and I found that I kept having to buy new probes for it sooner than I liked, as they would start to drift. I used cleaning solution and stored them in storage solution but the probes still didn't last that long. At least that was my experience. I searched the forums and this one in particular sparked my interest and got good reviews. Several people on HBT use this meter too, so I took a chance and bought one 11 months ago.

I really like this meter, the price is right, is has a smile face that comes on when the reading is locked in, which is very helpful so you know when it is finished taking a reading and not still estimating the ph. It also has a lighted screen which you can turn off but handy when you want it lit. It works great and has not drifted yet in almost a year of use, which is longer than the other brand. The replacement probes are also not too expensive to replace when you need to.
Here is a link to the meter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOIQE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hope this helps in your quest. Good Luck!

John

I've been using the following meter since November 2014. I've used it a lot: beer, cheese, fermented meats, soaping, pool, homemade lye, and a bunch of other stuff. It's dynamite. I've done a stability test on it and it is good enough for me (I usually cal just before I use it, so stability over time isn't really a thing I worry about.

One of the nice features of it is that the electrode is completely enclosed. Impossible to break anything. Also, waterproof (just wash in sink).

I did replace the electrode in December 2018. I was getting erratic measurements (might have damaged my probe during my experiments creating lye from ash, but that's another story).

I also posted a link to to the cal solutions I use. This pH probe requires storage in 4pH, so I use the red one for storage.

pH Sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00023RYQ8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JwmcFb1KQK8V0

Cal Solutions: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063MWYMQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_GwmcFbGK9NM13

1594410379052.png

1594410697357.png
1594410664322.png

I'll third the Apera pH60. It has the best display, the cheapest replacement sensor, the easiest storage regimen of any of my meters (including a Hanna 98128 and Hach PP+), and is at least as fast as any of them on their best day with fresh sensors.

Cheers!

Thankyou for all your help! It is really nice to see that you are all having success with meters that are actually below my budget. Apera seems to be in the lead with 3 votes, but the Extech does seem to be the same unit at a glance and backed by some good firsthand reviews, so I've got some research to do. Thanks again, now I just hope pH and water profile is actually the culprit for my plague of sub-par to mediocre beer...Cheers!

I have a Milwaukee MW102 meter that I bought used (I also have an accountant wife). It worked well for several years and started drifting. I soaked the probe in cleaning solution and recalibrated, now it works perfect.
I brew with RO water and use Beersmith to calculate the minerals to add and the acid to adjust the mash pH. My pH results are dead on using Beersmith. My pH meter is just verifying the results, almost like it's a waste of money.

I have a Milwaukee MW102 meter that I bought used (I also have an accountant wife). It worked well for several years and started drifting. I soaked the probe in cleaning solution and recalibrated, now it works perfect.
I brew with RO water and use Beersmith to calculate the minerals to add and the acid to adjust the mash pH. My pH results are dead on using Beersmith. My pH meter is just verifying the results, almost like it's a waste of money.

Thats good to hear! I use 100% distilled and just started using Brunwater to calculate pH and additions so I'm excited to see how these two factors impact my beer. Milwaukee has come up on other searches I've done so I will continue to look into that. Thanks again, cheers!

I noticed a definate improvment with my beer by adjusting the water profile.
Prost!

I'm glad to hear that. My beers are close to being good, but more often than not when my friends or neighbors come over I pour them a commercial brew I have on hand. It's starting to wear me down that I don't even want to share my brews! Thanks again.

In the Brew Science Forum the Hack Pocket Pro+ gets high accolades. The "+" model indicates it has a replaceable sensor. For about half the price of a new meter.

I've been using an Apera PH400, I bought on special sale for $130, IIRC, which is really nice and accurate, but after a year of use I noticed it taking longer to settle the hundredth digit. For my purposes, mostly around beer brewing, I can deal with that, and fairly reliably predict within .01 or .02 pH where it would settle after a minute.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Milwaukee MW102.
IMO way easier to use with a wired probe that isn't top heavy like pen type meters prone to tip over in small sample cups. Also uses cheaper 9v battery and has a much larger screen.

MW102

Calibrated every time

having the probe on the wire is much nicer than having it all contained in one device in my opinion. I also like the probe storage. It’ll never go dry in that case as long as there’s storage solution in there.

I’ll replace the probe once a year or so but it gets a lot of use. Close to 100 brews during the year but also numerous uses during fermentation.

I bought a cheap one ~$30 on Amazon and regretted it. It never calibrated well. Also, probes take maintenance (keep them in solution, etc.) and you need to replace them. Ph meters are a chore and I advise you to be ready to buy a better one with replaceable probes.

I also recently started using brunwater and water additions. I found that for my homebrew needs, good Ph strips were a better way to go. Not as accurate of course, but close enough for me.

Note: Ph strips can expire, especially if they've been exposed to sunlight or moisture. Make sure to test those, too.. I recently had a scare when my strips told me my mash Ph was around 4, and I have hard water!!! Good thing I kept a level head, proceeded as normal, and later tested my strips. The beer turned out great.

Thanks for all the replies, and the heads-up on the special going on for the MW102!

A general question I do have though, assuming proper calibration and storage, is there a set number of times the meters are good for (100x, 200x, etc) or is it just accepted that 'it wears out when it wears out?'.

Thanks guys!

They should last for a while if you treat them well and store them in the correct solution.

Cooling the sample is also critical. the
Probe will sh*t the bed much faster when using it in wort at mash temps.

Been running an MW102 for about 4 years now, still purring along like the day I bought it. Same battery, same probe but I do use milwaukee storage solution and rinse with RO water when done using it. I always stuck my probe right in the mash tun. Oops won't do that any more.

A pH meter and probe is fundamentally, a simple instrument. However, its execution makes a difference. Cheap materials and low-cost design, can end up giving you a less than satisfactory experience. This article may be helpful in guiding a first purchase: pH Meter Recommendations | Bru'n Water There are other articles on the Bru'n Water website that may help pH meter owners enhance their experience. Be sure to page through all those articles.

I own a very standard, Milwaukee MW-101 meter that is entirely analog and it performs very well. I also have a very nice Hanna Halo pH meter that Hanna gave me to test. Both of those meters perform well, but in differing ways. The big kicker is that the Hanna costs an extra $150 more than my 'lesser' MW-101 and I'll have to toss the entire unit when it's life is up. I just replaced the probe on the MW-101 for about $40 and its like new now.

While that Hanna unit is incredible, my miserly ways have me suggesting that the MW-101 provides incredible bang for the buck. While I love the Hanna and its automatic calibration and ATC, analog meters and reliable probes take the cake for me.

I click on the Warranty link and I'm taken to a blank Warranty page. Hmm... does this mean no warranty?

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/warranty/
Not getting a "warm and fuzzy feeling".

I'd really like to purchase from a USA seller, especially in these times. Tell me how many people are working at Buckeye Hydro? How many people are able to still working during the pandemic?

Reading the ph Meter info I do see "The warranty period commences from the original date of sale and is valid on the date Milwaukee receives the warranty registration form." So the pH meters are actually warranted by Milwaukee Instruments, but purchasers actually lose a few days while the ph Meter is in transit to us. In other words, we purchase the pH meter on a Monday. For some strange reason we don't receive until Friday, we've lost 4 days of the coverage/replacement without actually having the pH meter to use.

I click on the Warranty link and I'm taken to a blank Warranty page. Hmm... does this mean no warranty?

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/warranty/
Not getting a "warm and fuzzy feeling".

I'd really like to purchase from a USA seller, especially in these times. Tell me how many people are working at Buckeye Hydro? How many people are able to still working during the pandemic?

Reading the ph Meter info I do see "The warranty period commences from the original date of sale and is valid on the date Milwaukee receives the warranty registration form." So the pH meters are actually warranted by Milwaukee Instruments, but purchasers actually lose a few days while the ph Meter is in transit to us. In other words, we purchase the pH meter on a Monday. For some strange reason we don't receive until Friday, we've lost 4 days of the coverage/replacement without actually having the pH meter to use.

You’re seriously worried about 4 days of Warranty coverage?

Never worked with @Buckeye_Hydro but they’ve been a member since 2013 and are a sponsor on here. Generally you don’t get to far as a business who wants a web presence by screwing people over.

Had my MW102 for three years. I’ve probably measured pH over 1000 times during that period. I treat the probe as it should be treated but otherwise take very little care to treat the meter itself different than anything else. It gets dropped, tossed around, etc. Never had an issue, never even changed the battery.

Not accusing them of screwing anyone over. Didn't get a good feeling when the Warranty page came up blank.

I do appreciate the pH meter case and use info. Good to know.

This was on their site. I think you're going a little overboard over a simple pH meter.

Warranties. Most products purchased from BH come with a 1 year limited warranty against defective materials and workmanship. This warranty covers, and is limited to, repair and/or replacement of defective merchandise at our discretion, and shipping replacement or repaired parts from BH to you.
This limited warranty does not apply to failure of the product resulting from misuse, abuse, accident, neglect, mishandling, installation not in accordance with professional standards, wear from ordinary use, or lack of regular maintenance. Your purchase constitutes your agreement that 1) you understand components made from plastic and other materials used in pressurized water systems are subject to leaks, and 2) you bear full responsibility to frequently inspect products, and 3) products purchased from this website should be installed in such a way that leaks, caused by merchandise defects, material fatigue, merchandise use or misuse, or your installation; will not cause damage nor go un-noticed by you.
EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS WARRANTIES SET FORTH ABOVE, ALL PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED STRICTLY "AS IS," WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. ALL OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, AGAINST INFRINGEMENT OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE, ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE LAW. Additional warranties may be available from component manufacturers as specified in the product description.

Last edited:
Back