pH meter probe needs replacing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to calibrate my pH meter tonight. It never finished settling at the 7.01 solution. Just kept blinking, and blinking, and blinking... So I'm thinking it may be a sign it's time to replace the probe? It's not the battery. I have a Milwaukee M102. Thanks for any opinions rendered.

Have you tried cleaning the probe?

Have you tried a cheap gauge for $13 from Amazon? Mine still works great after ~3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Mete...h+meter+for+homebrewing&qid=1600004216&sr=8-4

While have the same probe as you, the OP had a high end meter and his question is whether or not the fluctuation is a probe issue which is replaceable on his unit. I don't think the OP wants to give up on his meter in favor of a cheap one. I think the OP is seeking advice with other users to see if it's the probe and not some other issue.

While have the same probe as you, the OP had a high end meter and his question is whether or not the fluctuation is a probe issue which is replaceable on his unit. I don't think the OP wants to give up on his meter in favor of a cheap one. I think the OP is seeking advice with other users to see if it's the probe and not some other issue.

Neither of us have directly answered his question. I have at least provided a cheaper alternative solution. Meanwhile I do not see what aid you have provided in emphasizing these obvious facts. 😁 ;)

Neither of us have directly answered his question.

LOL, and here i was just going to chime in and say, this is why i went with the MW-101 with manual calibration! but i can add, try pulling the battery out for a minute, then putting it back in to reset the AUto calibration...

I was going to suggest a new battery as that was the fix for mine. Sounds like you've eliminated that. I also bought a new probe, and its working again.

I was going to suggest a new battery as that was the fix for mine. Sounds like you've eliminated that. I also bought a new probe, and its working again.

Ahh. I just meant the low battery warning was not lit. But replacing the battery is certainly worth a try. It's a cheaper fix than the $13 gauge from Amazon 😂

Ahh. I just meant the low battery warning was not lit. But replacing the battery is certainly worth a try. It's a cheaper fix than the $13 gauge from Amazon 😂

if you just take the battery out for a minute, and then put it back in...it resets it's memory about what calibration it used to have.....according to the manual.....so it will be able to reconize good ol' friendly 7.01 cal solution again.....

if you just take the battery out for a minute, and then put it back in...it resets it's memory about what calibration it used to have.....according to the manual.....so it will be able to reconize good ol' friendly 7.01 cal solution again.....

EVEN CHEAPER !!!!

this is the second time i've said it, so be sure to fill me in if it works......(in different threads)
Ill-be-back-940x450.jpg

OK so I'm back. I've replaced the probe and replaced the battery, and it still just blinks and blinks. It's just barely old enough to be out of warranty ... :mad:

OK so I'm back. I've replaced the probe and replaced the battery, and it still just blinks and blinks. It's just barely old enough to be out of warranty ... :mad:

I would definitely complain to the manufacturer. It shouldn't do that. But that's one of the reasons why I don't recommend computerized meters and do recommend analog meters like the MW-101. They are much more robust, durable, and less likely to have some sort of digital problem.

I have dealt with Milwaukee's support service and they have been very helpful. Might be worth a try and give them a call.

Back