pH 6.2-.21 for whole P/H, Trader Joe's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, not having a lot of success digging around the web. Most of the stuff that dealt with low milk pH concerned factory process applications, e.g., CO2 to ward off psychrotropics, etc.

Just a very strange thing. Made my first (2) Tome de Bauges style wheels. I prematured the p/h milk with 6 gallons milk, 1/64 tsp each of LBC 80, and MD 89. Any prematuration I've done in the past has been unremarkable in terms of any fermentation by the LBC and consequent drop in pH.

Got this milk into the vat and a few samples all showed 6.3. I was stunned as I rarely have below 6.7, maybe 6.67 comes to mind from a long time to go. I pitch very low as I like a nice, long, controllable acid curve so made adjustments accordingly. Still, not pleased with this low a starting point.

Independently tested another jug, same co./make/whole, different lot. I got 6.20-6.21 several times, one outlier of 6.28.

I've actually gotten a query in to TJ's and they have answer, will call tomorrow. One suggestion, which seems reasonable, is that it might be a practice of commercial dairies, something about the lower pH protecting fat globules. Haven't gotten to the science yet, but I have it all here.

Any thoughts?

Back