Pflugerville, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
Hello!
I am originally from Russia, and I badly missed bread (I mean real bread) starting with day one on American land. As a result, I had to teach myself how to bake bread. In a couple of years I was able to get the taste and crumb that I wanted. Now, after baking bread for about ten years I decided to try my hands on its liquid form :) After all, it's all about yeast...
My closest store is AHS (Austin, TX). For the first brew I did some online reading, and created my own "kit." It was 7 lbs of Extra Light Pale Ale malt extract and 2 oz of Cascade hops (1.5 oz at the beginning, and 0.5 oz 15 minutes before the end). I chilled the wort, added dry yeast, and kept in carboy for two weeks. Then added priming cane sugar and bottled. Two more weeks later I tried it, and was surprised how good it was! It is really comparable to some commercial ales, and the aftertaste is much more distinct. Now I am fermenting an AHS clone of Samuel Adams Boston Ale. We'll see in September!

Welcome to Home Brew Talk and the Passion of home brewing ...

I bake bread also, have for many years. Have my own strain of bread yeast that I have kept for more than 8 years now ... and I agree most bread from stores is not all that great!

Thanks everybody for welcoming! I am already lost in this ocean of beer information :)

I work at AHS and live in Round Rock. If you're ever interested in talking home brew send me a PM and maybe we could chat over a pint somewhere in town.

Cheers,
- Jay

Back