petillant vs. sparkling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are only 3 levels of carbonation in the BJCP guidelines - still, petillant and sparkling. At what point does petillant become sparkling? For example, what would 2.4 volumes of CO2 be called?

Jolicoeur's book indicates 2.4 atmospheres would be at the top end of Petilant (pg 272).

My rule for submissions at this point, if it's not still, I just put it in as petillant. But yeah. Man oh man I had a hard time trying to find information mapping vols of co2 to cider carbonation categories.

2.4 is enough for sparkling. Just expect that mediocre judges will use these areas as opportunity to not judge your entry.
couple years ago, in NHC Finals, one said "really more dry and still"...the other judge said "really more sweet and sparkling" - well it sounds like entering as semi-sweet and petillant was correct then.

Judges should mention if carbonation or sweetness seems significantly different than how it was entered. At the same time they should recognize that there is no universal definition for how many volumes = petillant or sparkling. Judges should tell the entrant if the balance would be improved with more or less carbonation, sweetness, acidity, tannin, alcohol, spices, other fruits, oak, etc. THAT is useful. "Should enter as sparkling" really isn't.

The BJCP guidelines allow some discretion on that. Certainly if you entered as still and there is fizz when they open a bottle, you'd get dinged. Carbonation is under appearance, and the only comment I got was "mild carbonation". Not as a derogatory comment or flaw. I'm in agreement with phug, unless it's champagne level I'll just call it petillant.

I did get comments on acidity and tannins which were useful.

The BJCP guidelines allow some discretion on that. Certainly if you entered as still and there is fizz when they open a bottle, you'd get dinged. Carbonation is under appearance, and the only comment I got was "mild carbonation". Not as a derogatory comment or flaw. I'm in agreement with phug, unless it's champagne level I'll just call it petillant.

I did get comments on acidity and tannins which were useful.

Heck, ever there, the BJCP guidelines specifically allow for a small amount of bubbles on something enterred as still.
"No or little carbonation is termed
still. A still cider may give a slight tickle on the tongue." from the 2015 guidelines

so if you're terrible at controlling your CO2 levels, forget beer, send your cider in to the competitions.

Latest posts

Back