Pet Peeves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryat66

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 3 years. I absolutely love the hobby, the camaraderie and the passion to share in a common goal, make great beer! Most of what I've learned has come from these very forums although I step out on the ledge quite often since everyone has their own way of doing things. However, there are a few things that bother me about brewing discussions and quite often I find us using generalities about important details. I'm guilty too! Here is a list of things that bother me:

• using the weight of hops instead of the AAU's for a recipe
  • giving a recipe without the design efficiency %
  • making a fixed yeast starter size for every batch regardless of batch size or OG
  • stating a fermentation temperature without qualifying ambient or liquid temperature (this burned me big time early on in my brewing!)
  • asking recipe questions by assuming that every batch is 5 gallons
  • asking about the length of fermentation (I've never had the same beer ferment exactly the same amount of time)
  • using a set amount of priming sugar without respect to the variables that affect the desired carbonation level (maximum temp during ferm, CO2 level for the style, etc.)
  • unaware of starting water's makeup (why not just use RO or distilled and build to a specific profile?)

I know...there is no way to ask this question through the Internet without sounding like a jerk but in a hobby where we're attempting to achieve a desired end result, why are people so willing to overlook the details?

As someone that works with bacterial fermentations at work, the one pet peeve I have is that 99% of homebrewers and homebrewing books spell fermentor wrong. Everyone in the hobby refers to a conical, bucket, or carboy as a fermenter which is not correct. The yeast are actually the fermenters and the conical/bucket is the fermentor.

As someone that works with bacterial fermentations at work, the one pet peeve I have is that 99% of homebrewers and homebrewing books spell fermentor wrong. Everyone in the hobby refers to a conical, bucket, or carboy as a fermenter which is not correct. The yeast are actually the fermenters and the conical/bucket is the fermentor.

Ha! I never knew that! Thank you for the lesson.

Your claim seems logical to me. I will consider this in the future.

Just found this:

From Dictionary.com and the Free Online Dictionary: fermenter: any agent or substance, such as a bacterium, mold, yeast, or enzyme, that causes fermentation; or, (also fermentor) an apparatus that maintains optimal conditions for the growth of microorganisms, used in large-scale fermentation and in the commercial production of antibiotics and hormones.

So fermenter can mean either the enzyme or the fermentation apparatus, whereas fermentor can only be used to mean the apparatus.

So it would seem that all fermenters can be fermentors but not the other way around? :confused:

Some of us like to keep things as simple stupid as we can. For us, X-oz of a hop (usually written with the AA of what was used) is much easier to interpret than x aau of hop y. Particularly since hops usual have a fairly tight range of AA. I also look at recipes as inspiration and guidance, I'm never going to exactly duplicate your beer, so I don't get too hung up on it.

I ferment at a temp that my yeast like and that I think I'll have good results at - regardless of what a recipe calls for.

I don't mess with my water chemistry - becuase I want to keep it simple as possible and haven't had a need to yet.

Recipes usualy have enough clues to help you work out the details - if you care to. E.g., 5.5 gal of 1.055 OG. - given that, and the grain bill you can come up with their efficiency, or better yet, simply Taylor the recipe to meet yours.

Fermentation vessel? :D

Oh, and my pet peeve?
The existence of lists of pet peeves...SMH...
Like a car crash in slo-mo...

Back