persistant contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbruneaux

Reaction score
Hope I posted this in the correct section and I appreciate your help.

For the last three batches I have had this contamination towards the end of 14 days in the secondary fermenter. It's white and crusty and makes the ale super bitter.

I have replaced my hose, siphon and air locks. I sanitize everything twice with the Iodine sanitizer.

I am ready to give up if I can't fix this. It tastes fine going from the primary to secondary.

I brew > 14 days primary bucket > 14 days secondary glass carboy> bottle

I appreciate all your help.

Infection could be occurring just because of the large head space in the secondary.
What is the iodine sanitizer you are using?

Three weeks in the primary will result in a clear beer ready to bottle. Keeping you beer in the primary will narrow down sources of infection, if an infection would happen again.
Infection may only be due to racking to a secondary vessel with to large of head space.

Infection could be occurring just because of the large head space in the secondary.
What is the iodine sanitizer you are using?

Three weeks in the primary will result in a clear beer ready to bottle. Keeping you beer in the primary will narrow down sources of infection, if an infection would happen again.
Infection may only be due to racking to a secondary vessel with to large of head space.

I am using iodophor. I will try one primary for three weeks, I have a 5 gallon carboy instead of the 6 gallon.

I was under the impression that once alcohol was present contamination couldn't happen, I always cleaned everything anyways.

Thank you very much.

Can I save this somehow? Siphon to another container and add a little sugar and some yeast? This has happened to me a lot with secondaries and I think I have too much air in this one also. I was concerned a few days ago when I saw condensation on the inside of the carboy. I'm done with secondaries.

Latest posts

Back