Perlick S/S question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilbrew247

Reaction score
Got my Perlick PERL 525SS faucet and stainless shank combo yesterday. The faucet is supposed to be stainless steel but when I checked it with a magnet it was magnetic. when they say stainless on the faucet, does that mean just the inner part is stainless, or is the coating/finish magnetic? I paid for stainless and I want to make sure that I got stainless.

twilbrew247 said:
Got my Perlick PERL 525SS faucet and stainless shank combo yesterday. The faucet is supposed to be stainless steel but when I checked it with a magnet it was magnetic. when they say stainless on the faucet, does that mean just the inner part is stainless, or is the coating/finish magnetic? I paid for stainless and I want to make sure that I got stainless.

Depending on the grade of stainless steel the percentage of different metals will lend to being more or less magnetic. If you bought ss perlicks rest assured that they are stainless steel. I have six of them and have been boozing out them for about a year.

Also if they weren't stainless they would be chromed brass which I assume would be non magnetic.

I just tested my 525SS and 575SS faucets and with a fridge magnet, there's zero pull. With a rare earth magnet from a 3.5" hard drive, there's a moderate pull. I've seen some stainless steel react this way to magnets. Standard household/fridge magnets shouldn't stick but significantly stronger ones could (rare earth magnets).

I did some research and apparently it's dependent on how much nickel is in them. The nickel is what makes it nonmagnetic. The inside looks like stainless steel.

If I remember correctly, 400 series s/s is more magnetic, where 304 and 316 much less if at all.

Back