Perlick flow control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoa

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading my Keezer with a perlick forward sealing faucet with flow control. My question is, what is the max PSI that it can handle. I normally have one beer on tap and another on deck. I would like to split off my existing regulator and carb my next keg while I serve from the other. I don’t' like to force carb, I prefer the set it at 25-30 PSI and forget it method. Is that possible with this tap without having a separate regulator?

I may be completely wrong on this so if someone with more knowledge than me chimes in listen to them by all means...

Knowing what I know about hydraulics... I wouldn't think it'd be a very good idea, you're still going to be pushing your beer at 25-30 PSI, MAYBE if you have a super long beer line for the one you're serving. Why spend $$ on a flow control faucet when you could just get a secondary regulator for not all that much more $$ that you KNOW will do the job?

The flow control faucet doesn't act as a regulator. It simulates the resistance of a longer run. It allows you to use the set and forget method without running longer lines. In other words, you can have one beer at 12 psi, and another at 25 psi, both with 10 ft lines. They will both be carbed to different volumes but they will pour nicely regardless of having the same line length. Without flow control, you would need a longer line for the brew carbed at 25 psi. I have flow control faucets and I love them. But, they are not a replacement for a secondary regulator. I am running 4 taps, all carbed to different volumes with a secondary regulator but I never have to change my line length. I just adjust the flow control to get the pour right.

[...]I don’t' like to force carb, I prefer the set it at 25-30 PSI and forget it method.[...]

If you carb beer using exogenous CO2, that is "force carbing".

Do you actually force carb using 25-30 psi?
At what temperature? And for how long?

Cheers!

Back