Perlic 630 VS intertap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
Stainless non flow control models, how do they compare?

Will they fit on the same shank? Does one pour better than the other? Any problems with the more complicated looking shuttle design? Will intertap faucets get stuck if they sit still with beer for a few days or weeks?

Why do the Perlic cost more?

I have the Intertaps and love them. My cousin has the Perlick 630 and loves them. Between the two, I don't think there's much difference pouring wise. His feel like they have more of a solid feel when they shut off, but besides that, I can't tell. Mine does not stick with beer in them for a few days either. Sticking taps are more of a rear sealing faucet issue. The Intertaps and Perlicks are forward sealing, so no problems there.

I liked that the Intertaps have interchangeable tips on them. I had some older Perlicks that also had screw on tips, but they didn't have as many different attachments as the Intertaps. That, the slightly lower price, and knowing it would be harder for me to source 2-3 additional taps to keep everything matched (opposed to buying all new) was what pushed me to make the change to Intertap.

Last edited:
No experience w/perlicks, but I dig my intertap faucets w/the self closing springs. I've had beer in mine for at least 3 weeks now and they have yet to stick. I spray some Star San on a faucet brush to "clean" them out after I'm done for the night. Let them air out til the next morning, then the brush itself is dry as well and plug them to keep them free of whatever might be floating around the garage.

fwiw, even though I'm running six first-gen Perlick 525ss faucets (with Intertap springs for the last couple of years - love 'em) it would be a tough decision between the superior interior finish of the Perlicks vs the versatility of the Intertaps. Indeed, if I had to decide right now, I'd likely go with the latter...

Cheers!

No experience w/perlicks, but I dig my intertap faucets w/the self closing springs. I've had beer in mine for at least 3 weeks now and they have yet to stick. I spray some Star San on a faucet brush to "clean" them out after I'm done for the night. Let them air out til the next morning, then the brush itself is dry as well and plug them to keep them free of whatever might be floating around the garage.

I love the Intertap springs, don't have to worry about my cats knocking one open. I clean my lines, faucets, and couplers once a month typically and I never spray the faucets other than that, and I've still never had a faucet stick. I've had standard faucets go as little as a few days without use and they're stuck shut.

fwiw, I think using brushes as faucet closures can get nasty as those bristles wick beer then dry.
I use faucet covers instead as they tightly seal the faucet spout and any drips are caught at the end below the spout and can be emptied in the drip tray on the next pour...

1594588228460.png

Cheers!

fwiw, I think using brushes as faucet closures can get nasty as those bristles wick beer then dry.
I use faucet covers instead as they tightly seal the faucet spout and any drips are caught at the end below the spout and can be emptied in the drip tray on the next pour...

View attachment 689168

Cheers!

Same here. When I first got into kegging, I used the small blue brushes as tap covers. They do get nasty. I threw mine away.

I use something similar above when I still had my Perlicks. They were perfect for them. My Intertaps, not so much since the the Intertap's nozzles have a taper to them. I have some smaller silicone plugs I use instead that work perfect.

fwiw, even though I'm running six first-gen Perlick 525ss faucets (with Intertap springs for the last couple of years - love 'em) it would be a tough decision between the superior interior finish of the Perlicks vs the versatility of the Intertaps. Indeed, if I had to decide right now, I'd likely go with the latter...

Cheers!

I’m using 600 series Perlick FC faucets. Do you know if I can add Intertap springs to them? I found a couple sites that say no, but they also say they ONLY work with Intertap faucets.

The springs won't work with the Intertap FC nor any of the Perlick 500/600 generation FC faucets.
The issue is the spring would be behind the compensator, and the compensator does not move forward...

Cheers!

I’m using 600 series Perlick FC faucets. Do you know if I can add Intertap springs to them? I found a couple sites that say no, but they also say they ONLY work with Intertap faucets.

I don't think the closing springs will work on your flow control faucets. The springs push the shuttle forward, causing it to seal. Flow Control faucets (at least the Intertap I have) have a separate piece behind (towards the shank) shuttle that allows you to adjust the flow.

Pretty sure it's not possible to add return springs to the Perlick or any other FC faucet because of the way the flow control shuttle works.

I've got four Perlick 630SS flow control faucets and really like them, in addition to two old Shirron Micro-Matic forward seal faucets, and recently acquired an Intertap Nukatap. I'd pretty much used the Perlicks exclusively for the past 4-5 years, but have begun having problems with the front seals properly closing. I'd never disassembled them or replaced parts, so during the rebuild process I bought a new Nukatap to stand in while the Perlicks were out of service for repairs.

I wasn't expecting the Nukatap to be anything but a stand-in, but WOW, was I impressed. Even without flow-control, side-by-side with a rebuilt Perlick FC the Nukatap gives a much smoother, foam free pour. The as yet unanswered question is how durable the internal mechanism will be over time and a few thousand pours. I fought foamy pours for a long time with standard rear sealing faucets and the forward sealing Shirrons, only finding consistent pours when I went to the Perlick FCs. But this Nukatap is really delivering the goods. I'm strongly tempted to try one of the FC Nukataps when they finally hit the market (it was supposed to have already happened), but honestly I don't think I need it based on the performance I'm getting (so far) from this non-FC Nukatap.

Pretty sure it's not possible to add return springs to the Perlick or any other FC faucet because of the way the flow control shuttle works.

I've got four Perlick 630SS flow control faucets and really like them, in addition to two old Shirron Micro-Matic forward seal faucets, and recently acquired an Intertap Nukatap. I'd pretty much used the Perlicks exclusively for the past 4-5 years, but have begun having problems with the front seals properly closing. I'd never disassembled them or replaced parts, so during the rebuild process I bought a new Nukatap to stand in while the Perlicks were out of service for repairs.

I wasn't expecting the Nukatap to be anything but a stand-in, but WOW, was I impressed. Even without flow-control, side-by-side with a rebuilt Perlick FC the Nukatap gives a much smoother, foam free pour. The as yet unanswered question is how durable the internal mechanism will be over time and a few thousand pours. I fought foamy pours for a long time with standard rear sealing faucets and the forward sealing Shirrons, only finding consistent pours when I went to the Perlick FCs. But this Nukatap is really delivering the goods. I'm strongly tempted to try one of the FC Nukataps when they finally hit the market (it was supposed to have already happened), but honestly I don't think I need it based on the performance I'm getting (so far) from this non-FC Nukatap.

I also bought 4 new Nukataps to replace my Intertap FC faucets. I haven't had any issues with the Intertap FC faucets, but do get a little bit of foaming on first pour and have never needed to actually adjust the flow control since I'm using 4mm ID EVABarrier tubing. So far the one Nukatap I installed has been working well, and foaming on first poor appears to be less.

I also bought 4 new Nukataps to replace my Intertap FC faucets. I haven't had any issues with the Intertap FC faucets, but do get a little bit of foaming on first pour and have never needed to actually adjust the flow control since I'm using 4mm ID EVABarrier tubing. So far the one Nukatap I installed has been working well, and foaming on first poor appears to be less.

Similar setup with the internal plumbing, and I agree with your analysis on first pour reduced foaming. It sounded like hype at first, but they may be on to something with this whole "low mass" rapid cooling of the faucet. Whether it's that or the internal "soother" or whatever, it seems to be working remarkably well. The only question is, will the non-SS parts stand up to the use and abuse?

I have perlick 630 ss and love them. No issues at all. I would definitely pay extra for the stainless.

Fwiw, I have a little computer fan inside my keezer blowing cold air on the shank. In the summer I actually have condensation on the outside of my taps...never once had a foamy pour after the fan install.

I just bought a 3rd 630ss and SS shank. The faucet doesn't seat very well (at all, actually) into the splines of the shank. I tested my other two faucets on all 3 of the shanks, and the new faucet onto all the shanks. It seems the new faucet is the problem. I will be returning it to morebeer for another try and if that one does the same thing I will switch brands. I love my other 2 630s that fit the shanks though.

Also, I did some digging about the problem (haven't found an answer, though) but I did notice quite a few threads already started by people having the same issue as me. Cheers!

Similar setup with the internal plumbing, and I agree with your analysis on first pour reduced foaming. It sounded like hype at first, but they may be on to something with this whole "low mass" rapid cooling of the faucet. Whether it's that or the internal "soother" or whatever, it seems to be working remarkably well. The only question is, will the non-SS parts stand up to the use and abuse?

Which non-SS parts are you referring to? My understanding is that all the metal components are stainless steel, with the shuttle being plastic/rubber being the only main difference between other forward sealing faucets.

Which non-SS parts are you referring to? My understanding is that all the metal components are stainless steel, with the shuttle being plastic/rubber being the only main difference between other forward sealing faucets.

Specifically the shuttle. Of course, that's the part that's most important in the design. Hopefully it will withstand years of use and abuse, but only time will tell. From a design perspective, stainless steel with buna N gaskets wins out over injection molded rigid plastics any day on issues of sanitation and durability.

Brooo Brother

Back