Perhaps a dumb question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahahb

Reaction score
Just got a small chest freezer with a johnson thermostat on it and am going to use it for fermentation.

Is there any danger from leaving an active fermentation and resulting CO2 in a closed environment such as you would find in a freezer? I didn't put anything on the lid so I assume that if there was a pressure build up, it wouldn't take much to find a small gap in the seal around the top, but I wanted to check on here first. :ban:

Thank you sirs.

I have 3 freezers setup the same way, never a problem. CO2 will escape where the lid sits on the probe, if not elsewhere. I also open the lid in the first couple of days after ferm starts when co2 is most abundant. You are fine.

If you are super careful to not disturb the volume inside the freezer when you open it and then put your was in there immediately and leave it then it MIGHT be an issue. Doubtful though.

Latest posts

Back