Perfectly drinkable beer but a smell i cant figure out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrousbob

Reaction score
Im still a newb to the homebrewing im on extract batch number 6 last 3 have been full boils at least and i dont believe cleaning or sanitation to be a problem.

So far beers have been very well recieved, and no one has ever mentioned this.

But i smell a very sweet smell almost like a urinal smell after say the glass is 3/4 empty and it warms up a tad. I was wondering what attributes to this smell.

Thats the best way i can describe it, im certain someone has smelled this before.

, the beer itself tastes fine, its only when im really smelling to check things out in the glass.

Id love to hear from people that have experienced this and what they did to solve or found out what was goin on

Off flavors and smells aren't always easy to diagnose online. It's easier to fix these issues by going over your process and materials. Has this smell been in one batch or a few? What yeast was used? What temp did you ferment at? What do you sanitize with? Do you filter or use bottled water? What was the recipe or recipes of the effected batches?

It seems to be in the first couple of batches, partial boils, 2 brown ales and a pale ale. All have been extract with steeping grains.

Ferment temps are all 70-72. I dont really have much control over that in my situation, and im lazy, after listening to some podcasts Ive decided to try to limit my off flavors by learning to pitch correctly and treating the beer good up to pitching and aerating good. So leaving my last variable as temperature, ill fix it if i have to sort of thing.

I know from what ive read im underpitching, so in the latest batch in the fermenter ive doubled my pitch rate and will do even better on the subsequent batches per the mrmalty.com calculator and see if it goes away.

The yeasts used were WLP005 in my first brown ale, didnt get full attenuation on that one, The first two beers had water problems i know that too, Wyeast 1087 in the last brown ale and , Wyeast 1028 in the pale ale.

It seems to be more present in the pale ale. I sanitize with iodophor and actually switching to bleach on the next few batches.

Water has been a huge contributor to my brewing outcomes so far.
After listening to BBR podcasts on water.
The first 2 batches had well water, had a lot of iron in them. Good beer but iron aftertaste,. The 3rd beer had city water no filter, used campden tablet to clear cloramine before use. Better beer no aftertaste,
4th and 5th still in Secondary using water from water 2 go store, reverse osmosis or something and 6th using water from city through sediment and charcoal filter.
I havent tasted 4,5,6 yet.

Ferment temps are all 70-72. I dont really have much control over that in my situation, and im lazy, after listening to some podcasts Ive decided to try to limit my off flavors by learning to pitch correctly and treating the beer good up to pitching and aerating good. So leaving my last variable as temperature, ill fix it if i have to sort of thing.
Ferment temp can have a huge impact and should be a priority. For most ales lower 60's will give a much cleaner profile.

I know from what ive read im underpitching, so in the latest batch in the fermenter ive doubled my pitch rate and will do even better on the subsequent batches per the mrmalty.com calculator and see if it goes away.
Using a starter helps, along with proper pitching rate.

It seems to be more present in the pale ale. I sanitize with iodophor and actually switching to bleach on the next few batches.
If possible use Starsan. It's a no rinse sanitizer and will have no effect on your beer. If not I would stick with Iodophor instead of using bleach. Bleach can cause off flavors.

Water has been a huge contributor to my brewing outcomes so far.
After listening to BBR podcasts on water.
The first 2 batches had well water, had a lot of iron in them. Good beer but iron aftertaste,. The 3rd beer had city water no filter, used campden tablet to clear cloramine before use. Better beer no aftertaste,
4th and 5th still in Secondary using water from water 2 go store, reverse osmosis or something and 6th using water from city through sediment and charcoal filter.
I havent tasted 4,5,6 yet.
Water is another major factor. Always use the best tap water possible through a two stage filter or bottled water from a good source.

It looks like you are making steps in the right direction. Research and focusing on process helps immensely.

Back