Penrose hot sausage recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some sausages and will make the recipe tomorrow... next weekend I can taste what all the excitement is about. I have rarely seen a thread with so many happy people, so I had to try this.

I found what I think are the recommended Hillshire Farm beef smoked sausages, but I am going to also try a local brand that is pretty good. I'll cut them into thirds or quarters.

I6XWTrC.jpg

The waiting is over and these are pretty good!

The Hillshire Farm sausages taste good, but are fattier than the other beef sausages I used. The mouthfeel is a bit greasy when they are cold. This may be authentic Penrose style, beats me as I never had the originals. Next time I will probably stick with the Bavarian Meats local brand.

The Hillshire Farm sausages taste good, but are fattier than the other beef sausages I used. The mouthfeel is a bit greasy when they are cold. This may be authentic Penrose style, beats me as I never had the originals. Next time I will probably stick with the Bavarian Meats local brand.

Glad you like them! I agree the Hillshire Farms do turn out a little fatty. But they are damn close. Glad you have a local alternative. I might try ordering some of those Bavarian Meats over the winter months.

I tried a batch of eggs recently. I only put a tsp of sugar in the brine. Not nearly enough. Gonna try a TBS next time. Whipped up another batch of sausages his morning with some habenaro and some ground up mystery peppers from last year’s garden.

You should really try the Johnsonville beef hot links. I found them to be perfect. I'd add a pic ,but for some reason it keeps giving me an error every time I try to add a pic.

Yes, exactly! Sorry, I was trying to upload from my camera roll and I couldn't figure out how to post it for some reason. Anyway, those turned out perfectly for me. I followed the recipe exactly and used garlic cloves instead of dried garlic. I think these hotter sausages that have some red peppers in them like the original penrose in the jar did makes a little difference.

I saw that some places don't have them anymore and I'm in Tennessee ,but they have them at my local Kroger here. I've made them 3 times now. 2 jars at a time and cut them into three's to absorb The brine better. I also tried some larger polish type sausages like you and they didn't do as well and were more fatty. Try what I recommended and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll try to track some of those Johnsonville Hot Links down locally. I know they don’t carry them at my weekly grocer.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll try to track some of those Johnsonville Hot Links down locally. I know they don’t carry them at my weekly grocer.

You're welcome. I assume the hillshire hot links or any other all beef spicy brand that look like them would be pretty similar too. Enjoy!

I just want to say how grateful I am for finding this wonderful recipe. My father uses to work in the potato house in Aroostook County, Maine. And he would bring the Penrose sausages home every once in a while. I've eaten them from a young to when they were discontinued. I was devastated to hear the take over of Penrose from ConAgra Foods. They changed the recipe for the sausage and I never liked again. With the big fire that destroyed the plant that made these goodies, I thank you for bringing them back to life. This is my first batch tonight Vs 3.5 I added fresh red peppers and habanero pepper.

Attachments

• 24169359_10155130761821938_1095731947_o.jpg
    24169359_10155130761821938_1095731947_o.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 369
  • 24169529_10155130761741938_935366978_o.jpg
    24169529_10155130761741938_935366978_o.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 595
Found these at Rural King in Connellsville, PA (its actually in dunbar). im going back tomorrow to stock up. its not exact but its closer than any i have tasted.

mImOMNq.jpg

I decided to give this a try, since i've always wanting to make pickled sausages. my first attempt was not a success..

Attempt 1:
  • Followed recipe 3.0 adding only a few drops of red food coloring for aesthetics.
  • I decided to try BAR-S chicken pork dogs. (thinking these ingredients matched familiar pickled sausages I.E. big momma, fire cracker, ETC.)
  • I cut the dogs in half and stabbed each half twice with a fork (to promote vinegar penetration)
  • I added the spices to the vinegar/salt/water combo and boiled.
  • Placed CUT IN HALF, NOT COOKED (fridge cold) hotdogs into jar.
  • let sit 2 days (checked them out, cut one to see vinegar penetration. NONE TO SPEAK OF)

DAY 7
  • I opened up the sausages and they smelled the part, looked the part, and i am pretty pumped up at this point.
  • Sausages seem to not have any vinegar penetration or pickling to speak of...

I am wondering if i have made an error. Perhaps opening the jar on day 2?? Would not cooking them at all make them impervious to pickling?? I have decided to wait another week. I will update on Attempt 1 then.

after reading through this thread i decided to try a second attempt. This time, i used different sausages, and method.

Attempt 2:
  • Followed recipe 3.5 adding only a few drops of red food coloring for aesthetics.
  • I decided to use Hillshire Farms Beef smoked brats (after seeing so many people have success with them)
  • I microwaved (2:00), cut the brats in half and I added the spices and brats to the jar.
  • Added boiling vinegar/water/salt/food coloring mixture into jar.

I plan to leave "Attempt 2" closed and in the fridge for the full 7 days before opening.

After a week of waiting i dove in..

Attempt 1:
  • Still has only a faint vinegar flavor after 2 weeks.
  • I am going to leave this patch on my counter for a few days to see if room temperature will aid them at all.
Attempt 2:
  • This is without a doubt, 100% the way to go.
  • The flavor is nice and mild with a tad bit of kick. (not offensive to heat sensitive mouths)
I plan on doing another batch with Hillshire Farms Hot Links to capture the spice i am after, but i highly suggest the plain beef smoked brats for a nice mild flavor.

Awesome recipe, Thank you for posting. i hope my trials can help someone save some time.

I see this recipe has been on here awhile. I doubled the recipe using kielbasa and cajun sausage, after a few hours it is very promising. I'll see how it goes after a few days and adjust to my liking. Thanks for the recipe!

Was camping this week-end and someone broke out a jar of pickled bologna in jalepeno and onion. It was good! Made me whip up a batch of these when I got home!

I'm a big fan of pickled eggs, been making them for years, and well pickled anything really. That being said, I grabbed a Tijuana Mama at the gas station today for old times sake and decided I needed to make something similar (and better) at home. Stumbled across this thread and wanted to say thanks. Will be making these and another gallon batch of pickled eggs this weekend.

For another recipe on pickled eggs, mine is here - which is the recipe from the best pickled eggs I have ever had - Joe Josts in Long Beach CA.

I am eating some Joe Jost's clone eggs as I type this. They are REALLY GOOD! It is just hard to find the proper peppers in my neck of the woods. I have to mail order a 6pk of them from Walmart because there are not any stores locally that carry them.

I am eating some Joe Jost's clone eggs as I type this. They are REALLY GOOD! It is just hard to find the proper peppers in my neck of the woods. I have to mail order a 6pk of them from Walmart because there are not any stores locally that carry them.
I find these are pretty close, haven't been able to find the exact ones unless I go to a Restaurant supply store

Mezetta hot peppers (it wont let me link it but here is a pic)

a8c41084-5382-44ba-9106-ef76037619ec_1.572cda80e95ca92b5fc485ceb99fd203.jpeg

I'm guessing these are probably what you order already though....

(Sorry for the semi thread hijack)

OK, I gotta try these eggs.

Is "pickling spice" just pre-mixed spice from the store? Yes - its actually just called pickling spice and comes in a tin style spice container

Are the yellow peppers pepperocinis? No - They aren't spicy enough. Look for Mezetta Hot Chili Peppers - they are usually near the pickles in my grocery store

I also posted a pic of the peppers above, but it is awaiting moderation for some reason. Likely because I am a newb and just found this awesome forum!

I don't know how I never saw this thread before last week, but I had to give them a try.

I made 7 kinds using 3 different meats. I used Nathan's skinless beef hot dogs, johnsonville beef sausages, and johnsonville hot links. I followed the v3.5 recipe as written on all 3, then did a jar of Nathan's and the beef sausages with jalapeno, and another of each with habanero, and a second jar of just hot links.

I have a vacuum sealer attachment, so I went that route. It definitely speeds things up. I tried one of the hot links after 24 hours and it is excellent.

20190129_174005.jpeg
20190129_174018.jpeg

I don't know how I never saw this thread before last week, but I had to give them a try.

I made 7 kinds using 3 different meats. I used Nathan's skinless beef hot dogs, johnsonville beef sausages, and johnsonville hot links. I followed the v3.5 recipe as written on all 3, then did a jar of Nathan's and the beef sausages with jalapeno, and another of each with habanero, and a second jar of just hot links.

I have a vacuum sealer attachment, so I went that route. It definitely speeds things up. I tried one of the hot links after 24 hours and it is excellent.

View attachment 609908View attachment 609909
I make these quite often but have always left out one ingredient, it is the last item in the seasoning list (Lg pinch all spice for mildly hot recipe, ) I do not understand what this is and have asked in the past but received no response. Do you know what this is?

I make these quite often but have always left out one ingredient, it is the last item in the seasoning list (Lg pinch all spice for mildly hot recipe, ) I do not understand what this is and have asked in the past but received no response. Do you know what this is?

It's actually one word (allspice), so maybe that's what is confusing you. It's a common spice found in any grocery store. The first sentence of this link is an accurate description. http://theepicentre.com/spice/allspice-2/
Allspice takes its name from its aroma, which smells like a combination of spices, especially cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.

It's actually one word (allspice), so maybe that's what is confusing you. It's a common spice found in any grocery store. The first sentence of this link is an accurate description. http://theepicentre.com/spice/allspice-2/
Thanks for the reply. I considered allspice could have been the ingredient but never associated it with having heat so. I actually use it all the time in my fish brine solution before smoking.

Came across this thread a couple of weeks ago searching the interweb for a good copycat recipe for those little bites of spicy awesomeness.... Last week I made a half batch using some beef sausages that I made and smoked myself with version 3.5....... Just popped the jar open cause I couldn't wait any longer! Man!!!! These things are certainly a tasty throwback to childhood! Thanks for the recipe! Now I want another..... With a cold homebrew!

Back