Penquin Glycol Chiller vs MoreBeer's Icemaster 100 Glycol Chiller with Stainless Bulkheads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That hole does look small but wouldn’t a smaller hole reduce evaporation of your glycol/water mixture? Is it about right size for 1 or 2 hoses but needs to be enlarged for more?

I am going to take a piece of blue thick foam and leave the cap at the barbs off. 8 to 10 hoses are what I am looking at. When I get the foam in there will be a lot more insulating factor and much greater room.

After I figured out what I wanted to do, I think this will work great.

100_1778 (2).JPG

I think this is the most important thing. And make sure you use softened and not distilled water.
I seen cfrazier77s setup and it is really nice and compact. Besides that, he has produced some award winning beer.

I just got the icemaster unboxed and so far everything is tight except the drain plug. I will work on that before I fill to ensure no leaks.

It is definitely taller than I thought, but it looks good after I got the coil separator put back together. That and I have to vacuum it out piece if insulation. First run will be with water. Pure water.

I received my box today. I agree, at least the box and inner box are taller than 26". Unfortunately, I will not have time for a couple of weeks to unpack and inspect it. I'm curious if the drain plug has the same issues as previously reported.

I received my box today. I agree, at least the box and inner box are taller than 26". Unfortunately, I will not have time for a couple of weeks to unpack and inspect it. I'm curious if the drain plug has the same issues as previously reported.

Unfortunately mine leaks so I will be fixing that. Like many before me, it is still a problem.

I like the solution posted by a reviewer on MBs website with the hose. I will likely take that route.

Unfortunately mine leaks so I will be fixing that. Like many before me, it is still a problem.

I like the solution posted by a reviewer on MBs website with the hose. I will likely take that route.

You would think Morebeer would have addressed the leaking drain with the manufacturer. It must be costly to ship with the weight of the unit. Generally, the return shipping cost the retailer must bear regarding defective merchandise is a good incentive for them to address flaws and defects with the manufacturer.

I will look at Morebeer's "solution" once I determine if I have a problem with a leaking drain. Having them take back a defective unit may be easier for me.....

Thanks for the update!

You would think Morebeer would have addressed the leaking drain with the manufacturer. It must be costly to ship with the weight of the unit. Generally, the return shipping cost the retailer must bear regarding defective merchandise is a good incentive for them to address flaws and defects with the manufacturer.

I will look at Morebeer's "solution" once I determine if I have a problem with a leaking drain. Having them take back a defective unit may be easier for me.....

Thanks for the update!

No problem. I took the end piece off and I am just going to hose clamp it. I have one of the sharkbite removal tools but other things work. I will post pics later.

No problem. I took the end piece off and I am just going to hose clamp it. I have one of the sharkbite removal tools but other things work. I will post pics later.

I just read on MB's website the drain repair process took the person three hours to complete and cost $29! I will be interested in learning how long it takes you to make the same repair. At this point, if I have the same issue, I will have MB pick it up and send me a replacement where they spent their time and three hours making the repair or have MB issue me a refund. I just do not have three hours to waste fixing something that should be in working order when purchased new.

I just read on MB's website the drain repair process took the person three hours to complete and cost $29! I will be interested in learning how long it takes you to make the same repair. At this point, if I have the same issue, I will have MB pick it up and send me a replacement where they spent their time and three hours making the repair or have MB issue me a refund. I just do not have three hours to waste fixing something that should be in working order when purchased new.

I took off the drain piece which only took a minute. After that I just took a small piece of 1/2 cpvc and cemented a cap to it and connected that with a piece of 1/2 silicone tube (same stuff I use on my RIMS system) and used hose clamps. No leaks now and I am running it to test it. I threw 75 degree water in there and let me tell you that little unit throws out some heat. It seems to be cooling the tank quick though.

I just put a cap on mine for now because I have a pump that will empty it 90% of the way. Sky is the limit on what you want to add.

Bare pipe after removal
drain_port.JPG

Plugged with silicone hose and pvc
drain_plugged.JPG

I also can't say how much it cost me because these are parts I had laying around.

1 - 1 inch long piece of 1/2 cpvc
1 - 1/2 cpvc end cap
1 - dab of cpvc glue
1 - 2 inch piece of 1/2 silicone tubing
2 - stainless steel hose clamps (1/2 to 29/32 size)

I would guess less than $10 if you had to buy everything. The CPVC glue is probably the most expensive thing.

I really hope this helps. It really does seem to work pretty good once you get the leak solved.

@LuckyBeagleBrewing, it looks like your fix was pretty simple and only involved the exterior end of the orange tubing. The MB fix appears to involve removing the orange tubing completely. Perhaps that is why it took three hours to disassemble everything. I wonder if the person had a leak and tightening issues where the orange tubing attached to the barb on the inside.

@LuckyBeagleBrewing, it looks like your fix was pretty simple and only involved the exterior end of the orange tubing. The MB fix appears to involve removing the orange tubing completely. Perhaps that is why it took three hours to disassemble everything. I wonder if the person had a leak and tightening issues where the orange tubing attached to the barb on the inside.

Not sure but this was not that involved. It was just the cheap fitting they used on that pipe itself. It had a drip every ten seconds. I have it on a concrete floor anyway. Could also be the fitting was stuck on there for him. I can't imagine he did not know how to remove a sharkbite fitting but you never know. Mine was fairly simple and once I did that it does not leak. Just don't pull the fitting very hard. Work it off from pressing the blue fitting towards yourself. You can look up youtube to see how to remove one of those fittings.

I put down the wrong temp earlier. it was 27 Celsius water in to it and it was at 3 Celsius in no time. Also the default setting for compressor delay is 3 minutes so you have to wait that long for it to startup after you flip the switch to on. After that it works fast. I should be able to hold 4 - 10 gallon batches at lager temps easily.

@LuckyBeagleBrewing, I finally got around to unpacking the Icemaster 100. As you are aware, there was little assembly (install wheels and take out lid screws). I had no leaks and it appears the drain valve on my unit is different (at least not the color orange as was shown on yours). Perhaps it is a newer version drain.

My unit's cover by the the freon copper tubing actually was hitting on the the copper tubing and would move the tubing to the side when the cover was installed. I first thought of using a rubber washer between the cover and tubing as I was afraid the metal to metal rubbing would eventually cause the copper to fail in that area. Then later I decided to use a sheet metal scissors and cut off some of the cover and file down the cut. It now fits perfectly.

I agree with you about the space for tubing. There is no way cooling tubing can be forced into such a small hole in the corner. In addition, I would be concerned about the small pressure/freon tubing that is right under the hole breaking off. I decided to have the cooling tubing go through a slit I made by adjusting the covers. Then I bought rubber 1/2" pipe insulation to cover the space between the covers and to put around the exposed tubing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why these pictures would not attach to the previous post, but here they are...

IMG_3834.JPG
IMG_3833.JPG
IMG_3838.JPG
IMG_3835.JPG
IMG_3841.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG

That is nice yours did not leak. Even with the leak it is a good chiller. I did something similar on the hoses only I used Styrofoam and left the cover closest to the barbs off. With the main lid on, I will just have to seal the pump cords and it should be good and sealed all the way around.

Now I just have to finish my chapman fermenter and brew up my Oktoberfest. Got just about everything I need. New York Brew Supply did great and speedy work on the coil fab. They did a nice job with my specs on the stainless coils. I just have to silver solder the coil compression fittings on the lid. My goal is 3 fermenters simultaneously on this chiller.

....Now I just have to finish my chapman fermenter and brew up my Oktoberfest. Got just about everything I need. New York Brew Supply did great and speedy work on the coil fab. They did a nice job with my specs on the stainless coils. I just have to silver solder the coil compression fittings on the lid. My goal is 3 fermenters simultaneously on this chiller.

Very nice. I hope to buy another fermenter in a couple of months. Will your fermenters be seven or 14 gallons? Please share pics once everything is assembled and working.

Very nice. I hope to buy another fermenter in a couple of months. Will your fermenters be seven or 14 gallons? Please share pics once everything is assembled and working.
They are the 14 gallon fermenters. I generally do 10 gallon batches and want to focus on perfecting light lagers. I enjoy a good Helles.

Once I get the first one done I will definitely share pics.

My Icemaster 100 just **** the bed after 6 months of use (7 brews) What are your thoughts?:
Process was typicaly the same for every batch:

When in use:
Fermentation: Set glycol to 32 degrees to keep tank at ferm temps (62-72) for 10-15 days

Cold crashing: Set glycol to 25 degrees to keep tank at 36 degrees (3-4 days)

When not in use:
Turn system off completely. Glycol would rise to room temp (60 degrees). When I would turn the system on the day before a brew day it would take about 2 hours to get the glycol from room temp to 32 degrees.

What happened:
Turned the chiller on and after 2 hours the temp dropped maybe 1/2 a degree. I knew something was wrong. I took the lid off and everything looked normal. The lead going into the glycol was cold to the touch but the coil itself was not getting cold (strange). I removed 1/2 the glycol and only about 8 inches of the top part of the coil was frosting and getting cold (20 degrees with my therm pen) The rest of the coil was not (60 degrees with my therm pen).

Thoughts???

My Icemaster 100 just poopy the bed after 6 months of use (7 brews) What are your thoughts?:
Process was typicaly the same for every batch: ...

With those symptoms it sounds like a refrigerant leak but I am just guessing. I would contact Morebeer and tell them it is already broke. I would think the coil would be cold all the way down not just half way. Usually when a compressor goes it will make a lot of noise and pop the breaker or at least that is the way it has been in the last 45 for me.

Check their site because I thought they gave it a one year warranty. I would hope they would honor the warranty respectably.

My Icemaster 100 just poopy the bed after 6 months of use (7 brews) What are your thoughts?:
Process was typicaly the same for every batch:

When in use:
Fermentation: Set glycol to 32 degrees to keep tank at ferm temps (62-72) for 10-15 days

Cold crashing: Set glycol to 25 degrees to keep tank at 36 degrees (3-4 days)

When not in use:
Turn system off completely. Glycol would rise to room temp (60 degrees). When I would turn the system on the day before a brew day it would take about 2 hours to get the glycol from room temp to 32 degrees.

What happened:
Turned the chiller on and after 2 hours the temp dropped maybe 1/2 a degree. I knew something was wrong. I took the lid off and everything looked normal. The lead going into the glycol was cold to the touch but the coil itself was not getting cold (strange). I removed 1/2 the glycol and only about 8 inches of the top part of the coil was frosting and getting cold (20 degrees with my therm pen) The rest of the coil was not (60 degrees with my therm pen).

Thoughts???
Is there an update on this?

Is there an update on this?

Yes. Here’s the update:

More beer was awesome with the replacement. Shipped it out fedex very fast. New unit put together and all is good.
BUT....
I got to brew 2 batches on it and the “S” button on the STC-1000 broke. so I couldn’t change the temp of the glycol. I troubleshot it for a couple days with no luck. In the end I bought an ITC-1000F off amazon And wired that in myself (shhhhhh) it works great, nice to have it in Fahrenheit and was fairly easy to gain access to it. So I guess fingers crossed that the compressor/freon level holds up with this one...
IMG_0921.JPG

Yes. Here’s the update:

More beer was awesome with the replacement. Shipped it out fedex very fast. New unit put together and all is good.
BUT....
I got to brew 2 batches on it and the “S” button on the STC-1000 broke. so I couldn’t change the temp of the glycol. I troubleshot it for a couple days with no luck. In the end I bought an ITC-1000F off amazon And wired that in myself (shhhhhh) it works great, nice to have it in Fahrenheit and was fairly easy to gain access to it. So I guess fingers crossed that the compressor/freon level holds up with this one...
View attachment 643701
Out of curiosity did they make you pay the return shipping like penguin does? Cheers

No. It was all free. Repacked the old one in the new ones packaging.

That’s bull they make you pay return shipping btw
Excellent. I was surprised at penguins reply on here that they charge the customer the return shipping for warranty repairs in order to keep there costs down. Some might find that acceptable but it doesn't sit right with me. Seems like fudging the numbers. Cheers

Excellent. I was surprised at penguins reply on here that they charge the customer the return shipping for warranty repairs in order to keep there costs down. Some might find that acceptable but it doesn't sit right with me. Seems like fudging the numbers. Cheers

Has anyone used the 1/5 unit from Ss? It’s currently on sale and wondering if it’s worth it for only a 1/5?

Has anyone used the 1/5 unit from Ss? It’s currently on sale and wondering if it’s worth it for only a 1/5?

The SSB chiller has only 1450 Btus. There are many things to consider. To name just a couple...how low can it cool....how many fermenters it can realistically handle. Of the three (Icemaster100, Penguin and SSB), SSB has the lowest Btus and Icemaster 100 has the highest at 3200 Btus.

The Icemaster 100 is on sale right now https://www.morebeer.com/products/icemaster-100-glycol-chiller-stainless-bulkheads.html. I highly recommend it.

Good luck on your search!

The SSB chiller has only 1450 Btus. There are many things to consider. To name just a couple...how low can it cool....how many fermenters it can realistically handle. Of the three (Icemaster100, Penguin and SSB), SSB has the lowest Btus and Icemaster 100 has the highest at 3200 Btus.

The Icemaster 100 is on sale right now https://www.morebeer.com/products/icemaster-100-glycol-chiller-stainless-bulkheads.html. I highly recommend it.

Good luck on your search!

Has the Icemaster had the previous issues fixed? I seem to recall it had when i was looking for one.

Has the Icemaster had the previous issues fixed? I seem to recall it had when i was looking for one.

Interesting last few posts....the only issue that was reported more than once that I am aware of was a small leak at the drain plug. Not only was that an easy fix that at least two units out of perhaps hundreds sold had, it appears they are using different tubing as can be seen above.

My "issue" was my belief the cover to the glycol reservoir would rub a hole into the copper freon tubing eventually causing a leak. My solution was to widen the opening in the corner cover. Nothing serious. Did I need to do that, probably not...

The nice thing about buying from MoreBeer is that they offer a one year warranty on items they sell that includes the cost of shipping. That includes the IceMaster 100 if needed. Competitors may offer a one year warranty, but do not cover the cost of shipping....

To answer your question, "MY guess ~ YES!"

Interesting last few posts....the only issue that was reported more than once that I am aware of was a small leak at the drain plug. Not only was that an easy fix that at least two units out of perhaps hundreds sold had, it appears they are using different tubing as can be seen above.

My "issue" was my belief the cover to the glycol reservoir would rub a hole into the copper freon tubing eventually causing a leak. My solution was to widen the opening in the corner cover. Nothing serious. Did I need to do that, probably not...

The nice thing about buying from MoreBeer is that they offer a one year warranty on items they sell that includes the cost of shipping. That includes the IceMaster 100 if needed. Competitors may offer a one year warranty, but do not cover the cost of shipping....

To answer your question, "MY guess ~ YES!"

Yeah... love More Beer!!
I spent a long time considering my chiller.
I ended up going for the smallest footprint as space was my biggest issue.

Yeah... love More Beer!!
Yeah... love More Beer!!

I was trying to give the reader info that can be easily found online rather than giving a "hunch". I agree with you that footprint and how easy it is to move a chiller are definitely considerations when making a choice.

For anyone considering a chiller purchase, it might be worth noting that MoreBeer offers on anything they sell "No Hassle Returns With our 60 day no hassle return policy and 1 year warranty on all products you can buy from MoreBeer! with confidence!" https://www.morebeer.com/about/whymorebeer

So, if a MoreBeer buyer decides within 60 days they do not want the chiller AFTER USING IT, they can return it for a full refund. If the customer is returning it due to the customer not wanting it, the customer pays for freight back to MoreBeer. As mentioned above, if the chiller is returned due to a warranty issue, MoreBeer pays for the freight. I have returned items to MoreBeer under both of the above scenarios and it is so easy to deal with them.

Penguin does not accept any returns without several conditions...."Return Policy Returns must be approved prior to shipping the return. Returns must be requested within 21 days of original shipment. All returned items must be in their original condition, with all original packaging. A 20% stocking fee applies to all approved returns. To return your product for refund, you will be responsible for paying your own shipping costs. Shipping costs are non-refundable." https://www.penguinchillers.com/uncategorized/shipping-and-return-info/

I spent a lot of time researching chillers, esp. between Penguin and IceMaster. I was particularly concerned about the reported issues with IM, but liked their design better. I made the plunge a couple months ago and paid close attention to see if it had any of the reported problems. But I have had none and it has performed perfectly so far with my CF10 (a couple of IPAs, an ESB and a LAGER). Couldn't be happier, thumbs up for IceMaster from this homebrewer.

I spent a lot of time researching chillers, esp. between Penguin and IceMaster. I was particularly concerned about the reported issues with IM, but liked their design better. I made the plunge a couple months ago and paid close attention to see if it had any of the reported problems. But I have had none and it has performed perfectly so far with my CF10 (a couple of IPAs, an ESB and a LAGER). Couldn't be happier, thumbs up for IceMaster from this homebrewer.

Excellent!! I seem to recall the items were fixed... MoreBeer really does listen to its' customers. Plus they actually have a fabrication shop.

Note to all- the icemaster is on sale at morebeet right now!

Excellent!! I seem to recall the items were fixed... MoreBeer really does listen to its' customers. Plus they actually have a fabrication shop.

Note to all- the icemaster is on sale at morebeet right now!

Ss is on sale at 3:00 PST

If you do have a leak it is not really that bad to fix. I like my Icemaster and as soon as I get my Chapman fermenters finished, the system will work perfectly. Mine has 5 stainless output barbs and 5 stainless return barbs. I have 3 pumps in it right now with enough room for 2 more.

If you do have a leak it is not really that bad to fix. I like my Icemaster and as soon as I get my Chapman fermenters finished, the system will work perfectly. Mine has 5 stainless output barbs and 5 stainless return barbs. I have 3 pumps in it right now with enough room for 2 more.

Wow, you have 5 beers going at once, that’s awesome! I only make one at a time. I have just placed an order for e Ss brite tank, so now I’ll have one fermenting and one conditioning at once at most. I went with the 1/3 penguin, hopefully it will serve the purpose for me. The small reservoir is my only gripe with it.

Wow, you have 5 beers going at once, that’s awesome! I only make one at a time. I have just placed an order for e Ss brite tank, so now I’ll have one fermenting and one conditioning at once at most. I went with the 1/3 penguin, hopefully it will serve the purpose for me. The small reservoir is my only gripe with it.

Nope I only have 3 pumps right now but hope to run 5. I think though as long as I dont try to crash 5 at a time, it will have the capability with all of the output and input barbs.

As long as it does not break down I will be good. It is larger than the Penguin but it is at least tall and not real long or wide. It fit my application nicely.

Back