Pellicle on 100% brett beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Ive made 2 all brett beers before but Ive never got a pellicle on it. FOund out my current brett black IPA has one and it surprised me. I thought maybe this one was in a bucket so more oxygen exposure when I dry hopped it twice but a recent drop in gravity over the past week has me worried....I'll taste it at bottling but has anyone had this happen with an all-brett beer

If its any help, its a blend of 6 brett strain from the yeast bay

Yes Amalgamation gave me a gnarly pellicle. I didn't use a bucket or even open it until it was done. It was also one of my favorite primary Brett experiences. Great choice! FWIW other Brett only batches with different yeasts have given me pellicles maybe half the time. Oxygen contact is definitely a factor. But as long as it isn't going to stay in a bucket for months it should be fine.

Yes Amalgamation gave me a gnarly pellicle. I didn't use a bucket or even open it until it was done. It was also one of my favorite primary Brett experiences. Great choice! FWIW other Brett only batches with different yeasts have given me pellicles maybe half the time. Oxygen contact is definitely a factor. But as long as it isn't going to stay in a bucket for months it should be fine.

Thanks. I figured it was possible since every secondary ive done with brett has made a pellicle (like the other amalgamation project I have going that you posted on). I was just planning on bottling soon and am pretty weary of bottle bombs from my early brew days

Brett forms a pellicle when it's exposed to oxygen. If you beer has only been in its primary fermenter than you may not see one due to all of the CO2 production.

I've fermented 2 beers now (racked 2nd one on yeast cake from first batch) with purely Amalgamation and didn't get a pellicle on either, but I only do primary.

Well its too late now anyway. Bottled it yesterday since I didnt want to risk cross contamination of my taplines and beergun. For the first time, however, I did try purginig each bottle with CO2 using the beergun and then filling as normal from my brett bottling bucket

Back