Pellet hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have several partially used packets of hops resealed (with tape) and in the freezer. Is this an adequate way to store or am I just wasting my freezer space?

What he said.^
Squeeze as much air out of the bags right before taping them up.
You could use a straw in the corner to suck out most air that's left. Like a pour man's vacuum pump.

Freezer storage is best.

I have mine in the freezer in their original bags... I squeeze as much air out as I can and then seal them up. I try not to keep them too long like that but since moving states, my new LHBS has only 2oz packets so I quite often have leftovers. I'm only using small packets so it doesn't take long (up to a couple of months) til they get thrown into a new batch.
I do try to use fresh packets for aroma and keep the stored packs for bittering and flavor... not based on any science... but my own logic (which could be wrong) figured that if older hops were going to have any issues it would be on the aroma side of things.

That's what I do too - press out the air, roll up the empty space a few folds till it's tight, then put a piece of tape across to seal it. As long as you use the hops within the next 2-3 months they should be fine. I wouldn't use them after a year though. Also note that hops do lose that alpha acid potential over time, probably moreso stored like this so it's always best to use them as soon as you can.

Rev.

As long as you use the hops within the next 2-3 months they should be fine. I wouldn't use them after a year though.
I have partially used pound bags of hop pellets in the chest freezer that are up to 7 years old by now. There is no deterioration or alpha acid reduction to speak of. Adding 5-10% extra to a recipe is plenty, for bittering hops often too much already.

Lately I have been flushing hop bags with some CO2 after using, before sealing them back up.

I do need to brew more... and use some of those up, so I can buy new ones.

i have several partially used packets of hops resealed (with tape) and in the freezer. Is this an adequate way to store or am I just wasting my freezer space?

It's OK, if not ideal. It depends on the hop to some extent - poor storing varieties like Cascade can lose 80% of their alpha acids per year if stored exposed to air at room temperature, but that can go down to 10%/year if they are kept cold in vacuum bags. Taking out one variable - vacuum packs at room temperature or as you have, open packs in the cold - will still do OK, maybe 20% loss.

But it gets complicated - what's true of alpha acids may not apply to other compounds - polyphenols can decline at 30-40% per year pretty much regardless of how the hops are stored, and decline rates seem to get worse once the hops are more than 6 months old.

See this article on hop storage in general and this Czech paper from 2012 for some more detail. It's worth noting that older British studies have seen rather lower declines than the Czechs saw, but Saaz is one of the varieties that doesn't store so well (if not as bad as Cascade).

Personally I keep my sealed bags of hops in the fridge and move them to the freezer once they're opened, but I tend to organise my brewing so that I use up entire bags fairly efficiently.

I have partially used pound bags of hop pellets in the chest freezer that are up to 7 years old by now. There is no deterioration or alpha acid reduction to speak of.

There's lots of writeups about hop deterioration over time and of course storage method and temperature make a big difference. But can I ask, are you just folding up the packing and sealing with tape for these hops or are they vacuum sealed? Could be the difference. Personally, I wouldn't even eat food that has been in the freezer for a year. I'm sure you've seen what it does. Freezer-burn is a real thing and I'm guessing it would affect hops as well no?

Rev.

$50 for 24 hour access just to be able to read the article? Am I missing something?

Rev.
SERIOUSLY? I had no idea. I just read it for free. Those pricks. If you have Ray Daniels book "Designing Great Beer" you can get the cliff notes in chapter 10.

Back