Pecan porter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPveritasGold

Reaction score
Hello all,
I showed up at my home brew store today to buy my ingredients for the pecan porter I plan on brewing tomorrow when I ran into an issue. My LHBS was totally out of base 2 row malt which my recipe calls for 7.5 pounds of. The closest thing he had to substitute was Belgian 2L Pilsner malt. According to Beersmith, base 2 row malt has a diastatic power of 140 lintner whereas the Belgian pils is only 105 Lintner. Is this going to be a problem to get good conversion? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Hello all,
I showed up at my home brew store today to buy my ingredients for the pecan porter I plan on brewing tomorrow when I ran into an issue. My LHBS was totally out of base 2 row malt which my recipe calls for 7.5 pounds of. The closest thing he had to substitute was Belgian 2L Pilsner malt. According to Beersmith, base 2 row malt has a diastatic power of 140 lintner whereas the Belgian pils is only 105 Lintner. Is this going to be a problem to get good conversion? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

With the Pilsner you should be fine. It is a base malt. I would suggest a 90 minute boil. I'm not sure DMS is a real concern anymore with pilsner but I always boil for 90 minutes when using it just to be safe.

Back