Pecan pie pastry stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmergedBrewing

Reaction score
Getting into the holiday spirit of eating too much, one of my favorite holiday treats is pecan pie! I was trying to put that into a pastry stout design/idea, but all I have to work with is the pecan pie Porter from clown shoes. Anybody have any recommendations for a base of ingredients?

I'd recommend against trying to toast and use actual pecans. I tried that once and it didn't do anything except leech oils into the beer. Maybe try to find a good extract?

Otherwise, i'd try to go strong with the caramel flavors. I would probably try to boil down a gallon of the first runnings into a few cups (similar to a wee heavy) to really promote those flavors.

For the grain bill, i'd go for mouthfeel and definitely include lactose, as that's pretty much standard in any kind of pastry stout.

Both those recommendations sound great. As it stands, I'm definitely adding a pound of lactose, vanilla beans in the secondary, 2 boxes of Graham Crackers in the mash, and pecan extract in the secondary. Mashing high at 256-258 for full body for 60 minutes.

1 pound of lactose does nothing in 5-6 gallons of pastry stout. At least for my taste. Any extract needs to be dosed, so add a bit every day and taste. Add more if needed.

This does sound tasty, I like the idea of using pecan flavored coffee, though the caffeine may make it unsuitable for a nightcap. Just after a meal it might be perfect :) Do they make pecan flavored decaf?

Edit: lots of options on amazon; pecan flavored coffees both caf and decaf, both monin and torani make butter pecan syrups, other brands make caramel pecan syrup, etc.

Last edited:
I did end up making this! It turned out pretty darn good but I think I could have put some more lactose in it and a little more pecan flavor. The vanilla overpowered the pecan. I purposefully did not do a diacetyl test to give it a buttery overtone like a pie would. A little tweaking would have this beer spot on.
received_543610099552558.jpeg

That's awesome! Thanks for the info! Looks fantastic!

I'm getting on the pastry stout bandwagon and really want to make one so I'm doing a little research to see what others did.

Dead thread revival!!

I referenced this thread last year when I was making an imperial pecan brown ale using pecans from a friend's farm (in short, toast pecans twice for a while on low heat and store in a brown paper bag to leach a lot of the oils). The beer turned out great.

So this year, I brewed again (with a few tweaks to lighten the color and abv), but this year I brewed 15 gallons so that I can make two kegs of Pecan Brown Ale and then use the last five gallons to make a Pecan Pie Brown Ale.

The plans is to boil dark dme, lactose, maple syrup, and yeast nutrient and add a bit of pecan whiskey to add into the 5 gallons for a second fermentation. We will see how it goes.

But if you're still around, how did the gram cracker part turn out? I'm curious but wondering if the results are enough to justify the effort.

Last edited:
Dead thread revival!!

I referenced this thread last year when I was making an imperial pecan brown ale using pecans from a friend's farm (in short, toast pecans twice for a while on low heat and store in a brown paper bag to leach a lot of the oils). The beer turned out great.

So this year, I brewed again (with a fee tweaks to lighten the color and abv), but this year I brewed 15 gallons to that I can make two kegs of Pecan Brown Ale and then use the last five gallons to make a Pecan Pie Brown Ale.

The plans is to boil dark dme, lactose, maple syrup, and yeast nutrient and add a bit of pecan whiskey to add into the 5 gallons for a second fermentation. We will see how it goes.

But you're still around, how did the gram cracker part turn out? I'm curious but wondering of the results are enough to justify the effort.
I don’t think this question was for me but we just did a key lime pie sour. We used 20lbs of Graham crackers crumbs in the mash and the flavor was great post boil. It diminished slightly in fermentation but it’s still there. Just needs a little touch up with extract. I would definitely use crumbs over whole or crushed Graham. We’ve used crushed Graham before and it didn’t come through in the finished product at all

Back