Pecan Pie Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dann0

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some input on a Pecan Pie Brown Ale. Thinking a nut brown for a base, looking for input on grist ratios and brewing with pecans. My current plan:

Maris Otter 65.5%
Flaked Oats 10%
Caramel 11%
Victory 5.5%
Brown Sugar 4%
Carapils 3%
Chocolate 1%

East Kent Goldings FWH to 25 IBUs
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Planning on adding the brown sugar after high krausen. Thinking of mashing with a pound of roasted and crushed pecans. Planning on trying to absorb the oil out of them using paper bags. I'm debating on whether to toss another pound at flameout.

Thinking of making several bourbon tinctures (pecan, vanilla, cinnamon) and using them to add the other flavors in secondary prior to carbonating.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've made a pecan brown ale a few times. I've tried using pecan butter like in the link below, and also with apex flavored extracts. The extract gave a very artificial flavor. I didn't like it at all. The pecan butter was great. I loved it. Others will chime in about the oil and possibility of going rancid and killing head retention. Mine had good head retention and got better with age until the keg kicked at about 3 months. Its up to you on the risks you take.

Georgia Grinders Premium Nut Butter, Pecan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JP3BCT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EQxDDb6Z2RQNP

Wow, that nut butter is pricey! I wasn’t planning on extracts, but was debating if only mashing with them would be enough.

Latest posts

Back