Pecan Meal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineerAsh

Reaction score
I was trying to find a good way to do a clone of SA Maple Pecan Porter when I ran across a company that sells pecan meal. According to the description it is flaked or ground up pecans. I thought about adding it to my grain bill. Anyone ever had any experience using this stuff? BTW, I am going the extract route.

I would check to see if it's been de-fatted. The fat in the nuts can mess with head retention and other stuff. Lots of nut meals can be had with fat removed, so that would be handy. I think pecan extracts are pretty good for the most part too, and they contain no oil.

If you're using nuts or nut meal, I would sanitize them in some vodka overnight, which will create its own sort of extract, and then dump in everything (nuts and vodka) into your fermenter AFTER fermentation has completed. You can do this in primary, or secondary if you prefer.

Thanks for the insight on this. I was thinking I could toss it in with my grains but this seems like a better option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back