Pear in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Have any of you used pear purée in beer? I have a friend getting married, he wants a cinnamon pear Kolsch. I’m all for going it but not sure about the flavor.

I’m thinking a regular Kolsch brewed with a bit of cinnamon at the end of the boil.

Pitch and ferment for about 2-3 days and then add pear purée to the active fermentation.

My only experience with pear is in ciders, but it's a pretty subtle fruit. Might need a lot to come through at all. You'll get the cinnamon though.

My only experience with pear is in ciders, but it's a pretty subtle fruit. Might need a lot to come through at all. You'll get the cinnamon though.

Those are my thoughts as well. That’s why I’m looking to find someone that has tried it before.

No experience with using pear, but I have seen pear esters listed for some yeast so maybe look for a yeast that can produce that flavor to enhance any fruit you might add.

Try to use Asian pears if you can get your hands on them. They have more fruity characters than Western one IMO. A brewery in my country recently released a Belgian Strong with pears and I'm hearing some good stuffs about the beer.

Back