Peanut Butter Stout Drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Opened the first bottle of my Peanut Butter Stout today. Carbonation seemed slightly low it has only been like 13 days so that probably why. It had decent head retention considering that I was expecting oils from the peanut butter to kill all head. Flavor to me was just slightly PB in nature. The SWMBO took one sip and said "it tastes like a liquid peanut butter cup". Had to defend it from her the rest of the night as it was the only one I chilled. Can't wait to see how this one ages.

DSCN1228-1.jpg

DSCN1227-1.jpg

I'm curious to see what you think after it matures a bit. This is one "oddball" brew that I've considered from time to time. Glad to hear someone had some success!

Try pouring it into a room temp glass next time. Frosty glassware tends to diminish head retention on even the most frothy of beers. Also, a warmer serving temp may open up some of the flavor for you.

Nice to see. The PB in mine mellowed a bit over time, but it really didn't last too long once in the keg either. If I recall you doubled the amount of PB I used.

I'll go with a non chilled glass next time, didnt know that made a difference. I think this is one oddball that could really end up awesome if people keep trying it and tweaking it. I'm interested to see how it ends up with more time.

Yes, I went with a full pound of PB in the batch.

Hmmm, I'm in for brewing this up. What exactly was your technique in using the peanut butter? Also where did you get the PB you listed in the recipe?

Recipe was completed as follows ccording to my notes.

9.3lbs of dark liquid malt extract boiled for 60 min
8oz rolled oats steeped 20 min
12oz chocolate malt steeped 20 min
4oz roasted barley steeped 20 min
1/2 oz each fuggles and tettnang 10 min into boil
1oz cascade 30 min into boil
1lb of PB at start of boil

I used Smuckers PB they have a variety with no added sugars and preservatives it was in the organic section at the local Bloom grocery store(high end Food Lion). I'm not sure that it was organic though dont recall seeing that on the label. This kind is good because a lot of oils seperate out in the jar so you can open it and just pour a lot of the oils out. You'll need to get as much of the oils out as you can though. I folded up about 5 paper towels laid them in a strainer in a pot then put the PB onto the paper towles in a 1/2" thick layer. Then put more paper towels on top. A week later you could see through the paper towels because of the oils. After that the PB is about the consistency of playdoh and much dryer. Then I just tossed it in the brewpot. It clumps up a lot in the boil so take your time when you put it in the break it up and be prepared to strain it all out later on.

I'm probably going to send a few out for the March beer swap if they go down well to others maybe it will end up in the recipe section.

Yeast, I would go clean, WLP001/1056/US05.

I would finish this fairly sweet, so mash high, maybe 156 or so. These sorts of beers are pretty much intended to be dessert beers, so it is appropriate that they are sweet.

i've thought about making one of these several times. i think i saw a recipe in Mosher's book, too...or somehwhere...and they mentioned pretty much the same method for removing the oils.

definitely going to have to give this a try...maybe a nice big stout with PB for a holiday ale

keep us updated on the progress!

:mug:

I'm thinking maybe a Young's Double Chocolate stout clone and then throw in some peanut butter. Not sure how much peanut butter yet.

I'll keep it updated. For yeast I ended up having to repitch cause it died out at 1.030 so I pitched Nottingham at that point and it got it down to a good bottling level.

Oh man that sounds good. I'm going to have to add this to my list.

Did you leave the peanut butter out in the open for a week or was it in a freezer?

does it need to be sealed in a container or just sitting out for a week. That sounds pretty gross. I'd have dog hair all over it in a week sitting out in my house.

What I had was a large pot with a strainer that fit inside with a layer of paper towels then pb then more paper towels then sealed it with some saran wrap. That will keep your place from smelling like PB and keep out anything like dust or dog hair(I have that problem too). It definitely needs to be at a reasonable temp 65-70 I'd say that allows the oils to seperate out if you put it in the fridge or freezer the cold will make it harder for the oils to seperate I would think.

I covered my bottle of PB with a scrap piece of a grain bag, then suspended it upside down in a 1 cup measuring cup and put it back in the pantry. No dog hair, dust, etc.

Here's what I figured I'd go with as an All-grain version, it's a little different, but I think it'll work.

7.75lbs 2-row
1.5lbs Chocolate Malt
1lbs Crystal 80
.25lbs Crystal 120
8oz Lactose
16oz De-Oiled Penut Butter @ 15mins
.75 oz Nugget @ 13.9% 50mins (I have pounds of nugget and I think it'll work fine as a bittering hop here.)
Yeast: US-05

Back