Peanut butter cup stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Was going to buy the NB kit but with waiting for shipping brew dates to have it done on time are sketchy. Not to mention sweet imperials are my favorite beers, October is my favorite time. PB cups are my favorite candy!! Foolish pride begs me to make my own recipe.

Here’s what I have so far.

grist
8lbs DME (or equivalent LME)

Partial mash
3 lbs 2 row
1lbs midnight wheat
1.5lbs Carmel 120L
.5lbs oats

Hops to come later. Thinking just cluster or something cheap. It’s an afterthought here.

If I understand if right should be just about dark enough.

will add chocolate and Pb extract at bottling.

thoughts?

For this style, I really liked the Sweet Baby Jesus PB cup porter, so modeled my recipe after that one.

I added 3.5%of the grain bill of Dextrine for body, along with 3.5% of carafa III for a roasted note, and 3.5% each of caramel (120L) and chocolate malt. The other addition you might consider is lactose during the boil, which I used 8%.

During packaging, I added equal parts chocolate and peanut butter flavoring at a dosing of 0.9 oz per gallon. This allowed me to split the batch and do a third regular porter, a third PB cup porter, and a third PB cup porter nitro, the third one being the best by far. You may want to split the batch anyway to figure out what dosing amount you like best.

Ok here’s what I went with

6lbs light DME
3lbs 2 row
1/2 lbs midnight wheat
1/2lbs chocolate
1lbs caramel L120
1/2 lbs oats.

Mashed 150 60min
BIAB
Mashed very light 5 gallons

Squeezed the bag not much of a sparge. Just a quick spritz with the dish hose. Really a no sparge and squirted for fun…. Got maybe a couple quarts though.

60min boil

1oz magnum at 60
Just threw some DME in there to “be sure” about having some sugar for the hops.

Rest of DME at about 15min

Ended up with about 4 gallons and topped off with cold water.

WLP001 pitched at about 70
Swamp cooler set up with wet t shirt and clip on fan.

Ambient temp is 72 hoping for good things.

Preliminary taste test are pretty good. Chocolate extract seemed to be a good decision over nibs. Sweet and roasty. Will report more after bottle conditioning. By the way here’s the label.

Attachments

• 11D638D4-B2B3-4A32-9BD9-606D50751E4C.png
    11D638D4-B2B3-4A32-9BD9-606D50751E4C.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Back