Peanut Butter Cup Porter (Week 1)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apt23Brewery

Reaction score
So I've had it in mind to brew a peanut butter porter for some time. I read alot of articles on here and other websites and finally jumped in.

3.3 lbs Sparkling Amber LME
2 lbs DME Traditional Dark
1/2 lb munich
1/2 lb chocolate
1/4 lb biscuit
3 6.5 oz jars of PB2
1/2 cup of unsweetend cocoa powder (nestle)
3/4 lb Lactose
3/4 oz Cascade (55 min in boil)
3/4 oz UK Kent Goldings (15 min in boil)
Wyeast British Ale yeast

I was intimidated by the peanut butter, afraid I was going to get a sludge that would be hard to transfer to my carboy. However, as mentioned in my other post, I was left with no trub at the end of the boil. I cooled it down to 70F in about 30 minutes and got every last bit of the wort. It was a thick mix, but it looked fine. I pitched the yeast, gave i a healthy shake, and away in the cupboard it went. 12 hours later I had a steady bubble stream happening and about 2 inches of krausen. 3 days later, the Krausen has died down, and I've got about an 1 1/2 inch cake at the bottom. I plan on letting this sit for 4 weeks and then checking the taste. No plans to move to secondary as I've read that taking the beer off the yeast/peanut butter cake will lessen the chance that the flavor will be imparted. Also I've had a bad run with infections with my last few batches, so I'm wary to transfer at all.
I would welcome any thoughts and advice. :mug:

I'm really curious to see how this turns out! Ive been reading all these threads on the best way to do it and it seems like its a tricky one. My question is why isn't anyone just adding a bunch of Watkins PB extract? Seems like it'd be much easier than dealing with all this powder/sludge

So my porter has now been in the primary for 12 days. The first 4 days I had rapid fermentation with little sediment. Now 12 days later, the beer is sitting on about 2 - 2 1/2 inches of peanut butter fall out. There is an occassional bubble popping up in the airlock, but nothing to write home about. I plan on letting it sit for another week and then using my thief to steal a sample. I'm hoping for a nice balance of peanut butter/hops/chocolate. I'll keep you posted.

Side note, the beer seems really settled, no proteins or such floating around.

Back