Peanut Butter Cup Porter - Looking For Quick Critique/Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleRusty

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm planning on brewing this today in a 5.5 Gallon All-Grain Batch, Mashing in at 156F. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input.

I was wondering if Carapils should count as the total % of Specialty Malt or not? I know that it's roasted like a specialty/caramel malt, but at 2.0SRM it's more like a base malt.

I'm wondering if I could safely add a bit of Pale Chocolate Malt to the Recipe, or would I be getting to close to going over the amount of caramel malts in the recipe? Originally I was going to use Chocolate Malt instead of Carafa I, but that's all my LHBS had and I now realize the flavour profile is a bit less roasted in comparison, so I was thinking of adding some pale to up it. What do you guys think?

5.5 Gallon / All-Grain
Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.2 %
1 lbs 14.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.2 %
15.0 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
15.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.6 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [7.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 9.6 IBUs
2.00 lb PB2 (Boil 10.0 mins) Flavor 8 -
2.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

Well, here's an update. The base beer came out excellent, a very roasty, toasty, and coffee-strong tasting porter. Body was less than I expected, but with the heavy biscuit and roasted flavors, it's not actually a bad thing. Peanut Butter Flavor was very minimal, as I ended up only adding 1lb of PB2 to the boil, however last week I did rack it onto 2lbs of PB2 in a secondary. I'll be cold crashing and serving it soon so I'll add another update with pictures then.

Ive got 2 lbs of pb2 coming in the mail right now to try a peanut butter porter in the near future. Can't wait to see how this turns out for you

I've made a couple attempts at a PB cup porter, using pb2. My first with 1lb at 10min and 1lb in secondary. Minimal pb flavor, nearly non palatable. My second I decided to really go for it with the pb2, 1lb at 30 min, 1 at 10 min, 1 at flameout, and 2 in secondary, for a total of 5lbs. Very present roasted peanut flavor, but not PB. Never quite tasted like a pb cup, just like roasted peanuts. Also the second had 1lb lactose to try to add some residual sweetness but wasn't enough, and both had cocoa nibs.

Wow 5 lbs? I'm assuming that's a 5 gallon batch too. Any idea what the rest of the recipe looked like, was there a ton of other flavors for it to fight through or is the pb2 just really subdued?

It was northern brewers Baltic porter recipe as the base. Yes 5gal. The pb2 wasn't subdued, just didn't end up tasting like pb, more like plain roasted peanuts.

Back