Peach cider: Stuff floating on top of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spawn2qc

Reaction score
Hi buddys!
I started a peach cider with apple and peach juice one week ago with EC-118 champagne yeast. I started it in my primary food grade plastic bucket and racked it in my 1 gallon glass carboy. I noticed a 3 inch headspace on top on the fermenter when I racked it. So, I decide to fill this headspace with fresh juice today. :eek: There's stuff like beer trub floating on top of the fermenter. Is it normal? Is it a residu of the apple and peach juice? Is it just yeast? Or :mad: contamination...? I remove what I could remove. I did a lots of beer and it's my first cider so I hope it's just normal.

IMAG2009.jpg

Hard to really tell from the photo, but it looks like it could be yeast. The CO2 is probably rising and bringing it out of solution. Give it a swirl and see what happens.

I also agree with Pickled Pepper. Very good chance this is just yeast.

Nice. Effectively, CO2 is rising those stuff to the top and then goes to bottom with gravity. I'm happy to see you have the same first point of view than me. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back