PC to AVR Communication Processing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I have experience making object oriented programs in C# (GUIs) and programming controllers in C. But I need help combining the two. My automated mash system (e-HERMS) will be controlled by a GUI via atmega328p processor. I can't figure out the linking of the two tho. Like setting up the GUI to send info to the atmega and then reading it. Any tutorials or walk-throughs you have will help

I think what you want is to communicate via the serial port, here are a few tutorials I found on how to do that in c# basic interactive terminal, formatting COM traffic, intro to COM in .NET. I don't know if these are too basic for your project, but maybe they'll link you to what you want eventually. As to the best way to design the GUI to communicate between the user and the AVR, I have no idea other than, " the way that suites your style" since you'll be using it.

Great links. They are basic but its where I need them. Like serial communication 101. The only thing I've used it for is talking from avr to a hyper terminal, a serial lcd screen and reading a ds18b20, and that doesn't help on the gui side of programming in c#

You can do a lot from powershell(included in windows 7 and later). I don't know how it is in C# and .NET but python has an excellent serial library that makes serial communication dead simple; I imagine C# has something similar.
Also if you don't know about it already Stack Overflow is a great programming/math resource for every common language. If someone hasn't already done something similar you can ask specific questions and get community rated answers

Back