PBW smells like death after cleaning a few kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
So I built a keg cleaner to clean my sankes/cornies/plate chiller. I have noticed that after cleaning and storing it for a few days that it smells horrible. I was really hoping to be able to store it and re-use it to save some money so I didn't have to make up a fresh batch every time I needed to clean.

Has anybody else experienced this?

someone else with more chemistry knowledge will probably chime in, but i am not sure how much use you can continue to get from the same sample of PBW. it should have a finite amount of potential to produce oxygen bubbles....

It doesn't really work like that, and in listening to a podcast with Charley Talley it lasts for a very long time. I am just not sure why mine smells like rotten garbage after a couple of days of storage.

If you want to save $$, have you thought about making some DIY cleaner from 2 parts Oxy, 1 part TSP? I've been pleased with the results using this stuff.

Call them and ask. I never had that with mine, from over nite soaks. From my experience, it is about 5 to 20 minutes depending how hot the water for the bubbles to stop.

It doesn't really work like that, and in listening to a podcast with Charley Talley it lasts for a very long time. I am just not sure why mine smells like rotten garbage after a couple of days of storage.

Are you sure your not confusing it with Starsan - that can be stored and reused as long as it is under 3 pH.
If you want to keep it going wash lots of kegs at one time - just make sure to rinse first with water to get most of the gunk out before switch to PBW to clean.

Yeah I am going to call and ask, I CIP first rinse out with water, then with hot water, then throw in some PBW and let it do it's work. I then follow it up with another hot water rinse, then sani-clean rinse.

I seem to remember Charlie Talley talking about Ruth's Chris using it for a long period of time.

And it isn't the cost factor too much for me, it is that I can't pick it up locally.

You use a cleaning solution to remove organics.
If said solution actually works, why the surprise that those organics decay?

I wouldn't reuse any cleaning solution. It'd be like saving the rinse water from washing your car and using it again...

Cheers!

You should be able to minimize the soil loading in you PBW solution if you first do a hot water rinse of your kegs.

With less organics in the solution, it should last longer before getting funky.

Dump and rinse your kegs first and the PBW will last longer (e.g. You can clean more kegs in one stretch before having to dump it).

In either case, as far as I know PBW isn't intended to be self-regenerating, or stored and reused.

Back